• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Convention Signature Series Debuts in Wizard World East

17 posts in this topic

CGC Convention Signature Series Debuts in Wizard World East, Philadelphia!!!

CGC representatives will be onsite to witness signings at specific times by the industries hottest creators at Wizard World East Philadelphia!

CGC, in conjunction with industry leaders Wizard Entertainment and Top Cow Publishing, will provide a representative at Wizard and Top Cow booths to witness signings for the prestigious CGC Signature Series. Collectors will finally have the opportunity to have their signed comic books authenticated through the CGC Signature Series.

The CGC Signature Series applies to comic books that have been signed by someone of significance to the comic, under the direct observation of a CGC representative, and are thus certified as an authentic signature by CGC. The CGC Signature Series label will read "SIGNED BY ----- ON -/--/03 AT WIZARD WORLD EAST" and the book will be encapsulated in our tamper evident and archival state-of-the-art-holder.

Each Modern tier book will cost $21 each plus shipping and handling. Please check the CGC Booth, Wizard Booth and Top Cow Booth for signing schedules.

Confirmed times and locations:

Michael Turner: Wizard Booth, Friday 3pm to 4:30pm

Other Confirmed Artists:

Frank Cho at the Wizard Booth (time to be announced)

Joseph Michael Lisner at the Wizard Booth (time to be announced)

Top Cow will announce creators and times at the Wizard World East. Please check the CGC Booth for details, artists and times.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Shocking!

I'm a big fan of the Signature Series line and I think it's great to see more "official" CGC SS signings like the ones advertized at Wizard World East. I hope it goes well and that we will see more of them in the future.

wink.gif Kev

Have to say I think this is another case of buying the label. Just because CGC saw the signing doesn't make it any more real than Dynamic Forces saying they saw the signing.

IMHO you can keep your label and speculator prices and I will go for the DF's 3 months after release for anywhere from 1.99 to 9.99.

Have to say I think this is another case of buying the label. Just because CGC saw the signing doesn't make it any more real than Dynamic Forces saying they saw the signing.

IMHO you can keep your label and speculator prices and I will go for the DF's 3 months after release for anywhere from 1.99 to 9.99.

By all means do that if that makes you happy.

The main difference between DF signed and CGC Signature Series signed is that book is sealed in the tamper-proof CGC holder. DF signed books are usually in a DF sticker-sealed bag with a certificate of authenticity. I don't know why anyone would do this, but theoretically someone could easily forge the signature on a book and slip it in a DF bag and sell it as a signed book without a COA.

If I get a book signed for the SS label, I can display it in the CGC case, and I know when and where it was signed and I don't have to worry about the book getting damaged.

I really couldn't care less about speculation prices... how do you speculate on something like this anyway? To many collectors the signature actually devalues the book, to others it's a link to their favourite creator... as far as I know there is no price guide for signed comics, and virtually no way to create one either.

People will pay what they feel the book is worth and it comes down to this: If you like signed comics then the SS makes some sense. If you don't, then why resent the people that do?

Kev

Everbody on this forum has something that irritates them. Some hate resto, some hate purple labels, some hate date stamps etc etc etc. I love sigs on books and this forum down plays them all the time but suddenly creedence is given to them just because CGC now slabs with the yellow label. I am not denouncing you for your liking of the sig series. To each his own. I certainly would not decry anybody making a buck out of it either. It is just my humble opinion that I think this is just another money spinner for CGC.

As for speculators.......people buying sigs at those prices are the same buying 9.6 - 9.8 slabbed moderns. There just is no logic for paying 20 to 30 times the raw cost if you got it signed yourself.

As for switching DF books because they are only in mylar sleeves.. well all I can say is that the same could happen with a CGC if a fake book was slipped in prior to sealing. Unless you are there and see it with your own eyes then you can never never never be truly sure.

Well, I do agree with your thoughts on DF books as well as the argument for "buying the label". Both have their good and bad points. In fact, here is what I think...

First DF:

GOOD - You can get them for a fairly reasonable price a few months after release.

BAD - The reason you can get them at good prices is that they are for the most part overproduced. And what I mean by that is, they are not really unique if there are 100-1000 of them out there.

GOOD - They usually put out books with variant covers that may not be offered anywhere else. They also have a good variety of the big names out there.

BAD - If you want to get them slabbed, you will get a "Green" label back.

Next...Signature Series

GOOD - Very rare. There are probably less than 1000 (or close to it) Signature Series books on the market, and that includes the ones that were done as mass signings (Origin #1, Batman #608), and they only have about 100 a piece. I would say that 90% of the titles that have been SS'd, are one of a kind items.

BAD - Can be a bit pricey for the really popular books, but some can be had for the price of encapsulation. But not many.

BAD - "Buying the label". Sure you can make an argument here for that...

GOOD - You can get your very own books signed. Meaning, you have the choice of what book from YOUR collection gets signed. It you don't think it will come back 9.6 or higher, you can always use another.

GOOD - You decide WHO you want to sign. If you have a favorite artist that wouldn't necessarily be produced by DF, then this is the way to go. Provided that they go to a show that CGC is at of course.

All things considered, I like both. However, I do prefer the Signature Series. If anyone would like to pipe in their 2 cents, please do so. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I dont think that Signature Series is as rare as you think. The new Batman Run, Ultimates, Origin 1-6 have probably more then 1000 if you just add those series up. I think Wizard would get their own allocation of 100 copies of each and Dynamic Forces would get another Allocation of 100 copies. Not sure what other companies got them also.

I dont think that Signature Series is as rare as you think. The new Batman Run, Ultimates, Origin 1-6 have probably more then 1000 if you just add those series up. I think Wizard would get their own allocation of 100 copies of each and Dynamic Forces would get another Allocation of 100 copies. Not sure what other companies got them also.

Well, let's count them up according to the CGC census:

Origin 1 - 107 SIgnature Series

Origin 2 - 104 SS

Origin 3 - 33 SS

Origin 4 - 12 SS

Origin 5 - 0 SS

Origin 6 - 0 SS

Ultimates 1 - 148 SS

Ultimates 2 - 0

Ultimates 3 - 0

Catwoman 1 - 79 SS

Batman 608 1st printing - 121

Batman 608 2nd printing - 45

Batman 609 - 0

Captain America Vol.4 #1 - 112

Captain America Vol.4 #2 - 4

Captain America Vol.4 #3 - 12

Captain America Vol.4 #4 - 0

Captain America Vol.4 #5 - 5

That's all the big ones (I think), and they add up to only 782. Even if I add up the 130 I've done, that's only just over 900. So maybe, with all the other people who have singularly put in their own books, I would still say (conservatively) there have been around 1200 (give or take 100). Which to me is still far less than whatever DF puts up on some occasions for one book.

I suspect it will be fun to check out your auctions in a month or two (I always like looking at comics with sigs on them).

It will be amazing! I had 26 books signed from the Philly show, including a couple by Alex Ross, some Jim Lee, and one by...drum roll please...Kevin Smith!!! 893whatthe.gif

I'm also picking up some that came in earlier this week, but I haven't been to the store to pick them up yet, so I am not sure of the grades or which ones came in. I will be doing that on Sunday and listing them on Ebay. I will probably offer them up to forum members first though 893applaud-thumb.gif.