• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Romita Amazing Spider-man cover For Sale!

10 posts in this topic

Ok here's a great story.

I bought that 155 cover in the late 1970s. It arrived bent up. I remember it was wavy and slightly creased. The guy shipped it poorly and I didn't want it. As I recall I paid $50.00 for it. I was pretty young at the time. I called the guy and he was a real jerk, told me too bad, etc... My father called him. He was better at these things than I was. The guy agreed to send me the Romita Spiderman #76 cover in place of it. I agreed easily. I owned that cover until the early 1990s when I traded it to Mike Burkey for as boatload of cash and art.

Man I wish I had a time machine for just a few hours, they things i could go back and "correct". I would have kept everything I ever sold and bought some Microsoft and Apple stock!

It's amazing the things you remember when you look at covers.

Ok here's a great story.

I bought that 155 cover in the late 1970s. It arrived bent up. I remember it was wavy and slightly creased. The guy shipped it poorly and I didn't want it. As I recall I paid $50.00 for it. I was pretty young at the time. I called the guy and he was a real jerk, told me too bad, etc... My father called him. He was better at these things than I was. The guy agreed to send me the Romita Spiderman #76 cover in place of it. I agreed easily. I owned that cover until the early 1990s when I traded it to Mike Burkey for as boatload of cash and art.

Man I wish I had a time machine for just a few hours, they things i could go back and "correct". I would have kept everything I ever sold and bought some Microsoft and Apple stock!

Wow, talk about right place at the right time. 893whatthe.gif

How ironic is it, then, that Forman now owns the ASM 76 cover and is selling the ASM 155 cover to help cover costs for buying other OA such as ASM 76?!

Maybe those two covers are cosmicly linked or something...

Ok here's a great story.

That is an interesting story.... but, the spidey 155 is not 'wavy or creased'. And, hasn't to my eye or knowledge had any restoration.... and I'm pretty good at spotting it..

Also, the 155 has some whitout and a missing leg on the spidey stat that I would think a restorer would have 'fixed'.

... the #76 however is slightly creased and has a few minor defects that perhaps could be called 'waviness'.

Sounds like this story might be losing something over time...

Dan

Ok here's a great story.

That is an interesting story.... but, the spidey 155 is not 'wavy or creased'. And, hasn't to my eye or knowledge had any restoration.... and I'm pretty good at spotting it..

Also, the 155 has some whitout and a missing leg on the spidey stat that I would think a restorer would have 'fixed'.

... the #76 however is slightly creased and has a few minor defects that perhaps could be called 'waviness'.

Sounds like this story might be losing something over time...

Dan

It's been 30 years. As for the #155, restoration and pressing techniques have changed over the years. I moved over 10 times with that Spidey 76 cover. I had it packed in a box with all my other art(long gone now). It was bent up over the years that much I remember, as for the 155, that's the way I remember it. I was just sharing some 30 year old history, not trying to get into a debate over your restoration spotting skills. I am sure your great at spotting it.

I was buying lots of art back in the early 1970s. I wish I could remember all of the covers I once owned. I will never forget the Spidey cover because I returned it for the #76. It's just something that I remember, two things that are still vivid in my mind. The art was not damaged that bad, I was more upset that the clown shipped it so poorly. I could have kept it and not said a word but to this day I complain if shipping is less than stellar.

....ok, well..... perhaps someone used my age old 'pressing' technique (which works by the way). Put the cover between 2 heavy large books and put more books on top. I've left pieces in there for a month and lo and behold they come out flat and everything else stays the same. Of course, I don't call that restoration... just a handy tip! Dan

....ok, well..... perhaps someone used my age old 'pressing' technique (which works by the way). Put the cover between 2 heavy large books and put more books on top. I've left pieces in there for a month and lo and behold they come out flat and everything else stays the same. Of course, I don't call that restoration... just a handy tip! Dan

Sometimes in the morining I have a crease on my face. I do some heavy rubbing, pushing, and toss in a shower and presto! Waviness and creases are removed. Would that be Resto? Or not?

Juts wondering if I am original or a repaired item! Sometimes I feel like a need some repair work!