• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the CGC Grade

42 posts in this topic

Nah I just figure whatever we guess someone will complain either way. I don't really like these guess the already CGC graded threads..cause either people are posting it b/c it was overgraded or undergraded. So you have to decide whether you want to grade it what you think it would be, what you think CGC would grade it, or what you think would set the person off to post the scan of a pre-CGC'd book. :\

I don't undergrade I'm usually within .2 :\

Brian

Nah I just figure whatever we guess someone will complain either way. I don't really like these guess the already CGC graded threads..cause either people are posting it b/c it was overgraded or undergraded. So you have to decide whether you want to grade it what you think it would be, what you think CGC would grade it, or what you think would set the person off to post the scan of a pre-CGC'd book. :\

I don't undergrade I'm usually within .2 :\

Brian

I almost never respond to any guess the grade thread, even though I was the first person to post one sometime back in 2002...the only ones I usually respond to are the ones which also include thorough text descriptions of the defects. It's mostly futile to grade based solely upon a scan.

There are two major steps in grading--identification of defects and grade assignment. These "guess the grade" threads should never be about defect identification; it's 10 times easier to find defects in person than via a scan, which is why the poster of a scan should list the defects along with the scan. These threads should be about grade assignment. Anybody who can focus and concentrate well can identify defects; the debate begins once you try to assign a grade to a given set of defects.

Unless it's a decent res you really can't. If it's a real big scan then it's pretty possible. There are exceptions, the CGC holder hides a bit of dmg so scanning of CGC'd books makes defect analyzation more difficult. A lot of people only show the front cover, we could grade the front cover 9.8 but that wouldn't mean [!@#%^&^] if the back cover had a huge crease down the middle. Most of the time this stuff is for fun, I grade a bit lower than what the scan looks like most of the time b/c there is a certain doubt element to be factored in..a SCAN can look like a 9.4, but the book itself is easily a 9.0

Brian

Unless it's a decent res you really can't. If it's a real big scan then it's pretty possible. There are exceptions, the CGC holder hides a bit of dmg so scanning of CGC'd books makes defect analyzation more difficult. A lot of people only show the front cover, we could grade the front cover 9.8 but that wouldn't mean [!@#%^&^] if the back cover had a huge crease down the middle. Most of the time this stuff is for fun, I grade a bit lower than what the scan looks like most of the time b/c there is a certain doubt element to be factored in..a SCAN can look like a 9.4, but the book itself is easily a 9.0

Good example here of why scans can be useless:

Spidey16.jpg

Can't see it in the scan, but there are two non-color-breaking creases on the front cover 3" and 4" in length (it's not the mark running through Daredevil's boot; that's a scanner anomaly). They're so faint you can only see them when you angle the book under bright light.

Uhm...I do believe I said 9.4 first! How is murph the winner?

It was a total guess anyway; I have no idea how to grade very high grade books. Don't own any that are older than 1970..!

Well, I checked every 9.4 in the official overstreet comic book grading guide, and NONE of them had ONE, NOT ONE.......stress crack along the spine.

Maybe they'll put one in in the official overstreet comic book grading guide volume 2?

Oh well, guess this makes the book obsolete now as grading standards have once again mutated. 27_laughing.gif893whatthe.gif

Congrats on an early birthday gift from Borock & Cgc 9.4. Silver ASM that I have previously submitted that looked like that came back 6.5 or 7.5. Hosed again? makepoint.gif

It's certainly not THAT bad to warrant a 6.5 or 7.5, I'd say that realistically it's probably a 9.0, based on the front cover the only real problem is the 3 color breaking spine marks. The rest of the book looks quite nice.

Brian

Congrats on an early birthday gift from Borock & Cgc 9.4. Silver ASM that I have previously submitted that looked like that came back 6.5 or 7.5. Hosed again? makepoint.gif

How about commenting on the many gifts that you have received? Works both ways fool! insane.gif

I'd say that realistically it's probably a 9.0, based on the front cover the only real problem is the 3 color breaking spine marks

I gave it a 9.0 based on the 3 color breaks but also influenced by what looks like another color break in the gray just above Spidey's left (as you look at the book) cald. Also from what looks like a rounded lower right corner (something doesn't look right there), and a bit of sun shadow or just yellowing along the bottom edge getting progressivey larger as it approaches the right edge.

Yep, that's the problem with scanners Pov. Sometimes they don't pick up corners, sometimes they do. I think the corner is probably fairly square it's just the light color of it doesn't show up well on the scan. By "cald" I am assuming you meant "calf", not sure what that is.. another problem with not noting flaws when you show a scan tongue.gif

Brian