• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Denver copy of Marvel 1 on ebay...

64 posts in this topic

Do you think it will sell? I don't care too much for how the logo is cut off at the top.

The book sold in August 2005 for $172,500 - this was the Heritage auction...either way it probably won't get any bids 'cause it's ebay and it's too steep...

Why is it that almost every high value key book to sell in the last few years seems to immediately pop back up for sale a few months later? This book is just the latest example.

If collectors are buying them, don't collectors keep their books anymore? If they are being bought by dealers, this doesn't seem like a very good business strategy. Whoever bought the Denver Marvel #1 has lost the investment value of $170,000 for several months, in the hopes that he/she can flip the book for only a 7% profit. In view of the fact that Heritage was unable to find a buyer to pony up $180,000 a few months ago, it seems highly unlikely that the book can realize even that slim profit.

Whatever happened to the days when these grail books ended up in collections for years or even decades?

I agree with what your saying but on the other hand its kind of refreshing that so much great stuff has hit the market the past 6 months. Not that I can afford this book but I have been able to pick up a number of grails recently and in the previous two years it was next to impossible to locate some of them for sale. I'm sure the hobby is better off that a guy like J.P. isn't hoarding all those great GA books that were listed at ridiculous prices for years.

Do you think it will sell? I don't care too much for how the logo is cut off at the top.

The book sold in August 2005 for $172,500 - this was the Heritage auction...either way it probably won't get any bids 'cause it's ebay and it's too steep...

And two 9.0 copies have sold since then as well.

Why is it that almost every high value key book to sell in the last few years seems to immediately pop back up for sale a few months later? This book is just the latest example.

JP was responsible for a lot of those. foreheadslap.gif

And two 9.0 copies have sold since then as well.

Too many Marvel 1s in high grade in too short a time. confused-smiley-013.gif

If collectors are buying them, don't collectors keep their books anymore? If they are being bought by dealers, this doesn't seem like a very good business strategy. Whoever bought the Denver Marvel #1 has lost the investment value of $170,000 for several months, in the hopes that he/she can flip the book for only a 7% profit. In view of the fact that Heritage was unable to find a buyer to pony up $180,000 a few months ago, it seems highly unlikely that the book can realize even that slim profit.

Whatever happened to the days when these grail books ended up in collections for years or even decades?

I guess the book is only worth what a buyer will pay. Without JP and maybe the son of one of the KKR founder are there many very high ticket buyers of comics?

Perhaps for an Action 1 or a Detecrive 27 but for a MC 1? The book is a buy for the dealer communuity who have a very large dollar inventory. What is their inventory worth if high ticket books fail to sell. A private transaction would probably take place if the book sold at a lower price than a previously posted sale.

In the past I have listed some higher priced books (not in the league of the MC 1)

That I had no interest to move. I was hoping to negotiate with a buyer after the auction ended or I was simply looking for advestising for the other items I had up for sale. Putting a MC 1 up with a $20 listing fee (?) is a cheap form of advertising.

RHG, you raise a great question as to whether there really are any GA collectors of these $100K+ books anymore. All of the old guard "real" GA collectors seem to be unwilling to spend this kind of money on comics except on very rare occasions (and even then you never know if it's really a cash deal or trade). There don't seem to be any new GA collectors willing to lay out this kind of coin, which just seems to leave dealers and speculators trading the books back and forth amongst each other. Unfortunately, this just artificially props up the market and creates a false impression of demand, rather than allowing high end GA books to settle to more realistic prices that might attract real collector demand.

Does anyone find it odd that it is being sold through a gallery in Texas?

You mean it's only a 50 to 1 shot?

I would be surprised if the seller wasn't from NY, Calif, or Texas.

Also factor in whatever this gallery might be charging the owner for commission, unless it is the owner.

But it may simply be, as someone noted, nothing more than advertising for the gallery.

Does anyone find it odd that it is being sold through a gallery in Texas?

Definitely a Heritage conspiracy.

If you look at the pictures of astronauts allegedly walking on the moon, I believe you can see reflections of Jim Halperin's face in their visors. It's well known that he and Heritage are at the heart of all conspiracies.

Think about it. Heritage is located in Dallas. It's a seller of comic books. Which means books are deposited with them, in Dallas. Plus, they've sold comics from the Stan Lee file copies, their latest catalog features a Harvey character on the cover, and they've also sold comics featuring Oswald the Rabbit, not to mention Ghost #5, which features art by Jack Abel and the story "Hex of the Ruby Eye!".

Coincidence? I think not. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif