• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Denver copy of Marvel 1 on ebay...

64 posts in this topic

Do you think it will sell? I don't care too much for how the logo is cut off at the top.

Oh yes, everyone please wait for all the high grade copies of this book, before deciding on this one... freakin insufficiently_thoughtful_person!!

Do you think it will sell? I don't care too much for how the logo is cut off at the top.

Oh yes, everyone please wait for all the high grade copies of this book, before deciding on this one... freakin insufficiently_thoughtful_person!!

Well... there ARE several higher grade copies of this book that have been on the market in recent years and several more that are locked away in collections, so comparing high grade copies of this book isn't out of the question. Of all the major keys it's easily the most common in high grade.

I'm also not sure why someone would be a "freakin insufficiently_thoughtful_person" for commenting on the aesthetics of a comic book this valuable. Really, as both a potential buyer and as a member of the peanut gallery, the way this book looks is certainly an important factor in determining its worth. Why else would Verzyl make such a point of mentioning the perfect registration on his technically perfect Church copy of this same book?

The element that made all these high grade Marvel #1s come to market all at what seemed to be the same time is that they were all owned by Parrino[3 of them] and he liquidated all of them within a few months time along with his business.

I wonder what he did with his Nick Cage 4.5 blue label Action #1[Which he won from Heritage] ? I never saw that return to the market and by todays standards that is a 150k book[[forget overstreet] its not reality with the pricing of Action 1s in unrestored.

off subject/

I asked my 80 year old dad if he had any comicbooks from his childhood and he said to me, Who could afford comickbooks?

A perfectly understandible responce from a depression era individual that I really never realized. 10 cents was a ton of money for a kid to have in the 1930s.

My dad actually preferred to spend his dime on the movies and sit in on a double feature for 1/2 the day

Yeah, my 70 year old father was the same. He had the odd US comic book, but the cost of them was so high that a few issues just circulated between him and his firends as swaps. However, like every kid from that era, he's convinced that one of the few issues he did own was Superman 1. 27_laughing.gif

I asked my father a few months ago and he said his mother threw out all of his comics. He said seeing what they go for now he wishes he had saved them like I did. My father was born in 1940. He said he had all of the Batman and Superman comics. He also said everyone liked Captain America more than Batman and Superman.

Yeah, my 70 year old father was the same. He had the odd US comic book, but the cost of them was so high that a few issues just circulated between him and his firends as swaps. However, like every kid from that era, he's convinced that one of the few issues he did own was Superman 1. 27_laughing.gif

My 76 year old father (born March 1930) was a bit more lucky than most kids as he was able to get remainders from the local store his uncle ran along with a few new books here and there. Sequim Washington Dairy Farmer child by day, comic reader by night. Unfortunately, like all the stories go, Step Grannie threw out/gave away all his stuff when he went off to fight the Korean War back in the early 1950's. I've shown him numerous books I've had, and he's flipped through the Gerber Photo Journal with me a few times. On occasion he can remember the stories inside the covers. Makes for a fun visit.

And yes, he had early actions, batmans, capt. americas, plastic man etc. frustrated.gif

I asked my father a few months ago and he said his mother threw out all of his comics. He said seeing what they go for now he wishes he had saved them like I did. My father was born in 1940. He said he had all of the Batman and Superman comics. He also said everyone liked Captain America more than Batman and Superman.

My Dad is 63 and he recalls owning many Superman and Batman comics. Given he was born in 1942, I presume he probably had books in the late 40s/early 50s.

However, as money was tight, he and all his friends swapped books to get the most reading pleasure. He has told me there was no concept of collecting or keeping...

Except for one kid named Milton Zapolski.

According to my dad, a neighborborhood kid, Milton used to pay or trade for the comics after they had made the rounds, and Milton would keep and carefully store them all. Of course, at the time, everyone thought Milton was nuts for wanting to keep the old comic books.

I've wondered over the years whatever became of Milton and his collection.

That's gotta be him. Some of his old bylines are from the Schenectady Gazette... that's where he and my father lived.

Apparently, he passed away a few years ago.

Quick, go check his attic before his heirs get to it. poke2.gifyay.gif

I heard his kids hated him and sold his thousands and thousands of NM GA books to some pot smoking hippie comic dealer for cover price. gossip.gif

That's gotta be him. Some of his old bylines are from the Schenectady Gazette... that's where he and my father lived.

Apparently, he passed away a few years ago.

Quick, go check his attic before his heirs get to it. poke2.gifyay.gif

Schenectady 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think the collection was moved to Troy, and Zipper doesn't go to Troy. 27_laughing.gif I'll head over there tomorrow.

Also, on the "My dad had blah blah blah..." thread...

My step-dad "Hap" was born in 1924. He used to read comics when he was a kid.

I asked him about it one day, and he said he liked "the Detectives" until Batman showed up. smile.gif And he stopped reading Superman (probably in Action Comics) when Superman pushed the Earth around in orbit. (He realized Superman wasn't standing on anything, so he'd have no leverage.)

Hap was never a "suspension of disbelief" kind of guy. smile.gif