• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hang onto your hats CEREBUS fans!!!

41 posts in this topic

Looks overgraded with all those clearly visible spine cracks even on that postage stamp-sized scan, but I guess that book is rare enough for it not to matter much.

yup---but Ive never seen one with NO cracks, have you. Even this copy with 10 or so is fairly nice given that everything else seems okay. I think that's a record price, isnt it?? And one guy lost by $2....oooops!!

yup---but Ive never seen one with NO cracks, have you. Even this copy with 10 or so is fairly nice given that everything else seems okay. I think that's a record price, isnt it?? And one guy lost by $2....oooops!!

Forget about ever finding one with no cracks. Printing sucked with that book so it doesn't exist. Michael Goldman from Motor City is a big fan and his personal copy has 4-5 cracks which he grades VF+. He says that it is the best copy that he's ever seen of that book. insane.gif

you may be right. A friend got his from Harry Kremer (Dave's "partner of sorts" early on) and it also had lots cracks. Harry owned Now and Then books in Kitchener and had ads in all the early issues. He clearly had access to the best copies.

you may be right. A friend got his from Harry Kremer (Dave's "partner of sorts" early on) and it also had lots cracks. Harry owned Now and Then books in Kitchener and had ads in all the early issues. He clearly had access to the best copies.

Also...a local store in our area bought quite a bit of them when they first came out. Still, any copy that I have seen are so flawed and mid-grade at best. In fact, one of the former owners said that he had to sell Dave's a replacement copy when Dave's cat destroyed his original copy. 27_laughing.gif

That was Ken, right? I killed myself over that one. Imagine you created the book and your cat decides to sharpen its claws on it! 27_laughing.gif

That was Ken, right? I killed myself over that one. Imagine you created the book and your decides to sharpen its claws on it! 27_laughing.gif

Duh! tongue.gif

Sorry...but don't tick me off now! 893frustrated.gif

Well... IMO a lot of the faults he finds in women are dead on. It's just that he doesn't have the same kind of clarity when it comes to the faults of men, which are different but equal... wink.gif

Well... IMO a lot of the faults he finds in women are dead on. It's just that he doesn't have the same kind of clarity when it comes to the faults of men, which are different but equal... wink.gif

OK....this conversation is getting over my head! Is this part of his current ramblings that you are complaining about? insane.gif

he never mentions any faults with men, does he? Except for them being victims of women.

But he goes way overboard and generalizes "women" as all alike in their approach to men. There are plenty of women who idolize their men and wouldnt dream of trying to change anything about them. He cant accept that we both come in all shapes and sizes and idea and tastes. I blame Den for messing with his head!!!

I believe you guys are correct about the cracks on the #1 issue. I picked up the personal copies of issues #1 through #12 from a local dealer in town when he was in the process of closing down his store approx.15 years ago. He had a few early sets which he had sold off over the years, but this final set was basically his so-called "uncirculated" set. They were the final books which he was selling from his personal collection.

The 2 through 12 are basically what you would call perfectly flawless books. The #1 did have some cracks for sure, but I am sure that it is substantially less than ten. I'll check on it when I get back home if I can remember where I had putten the books. laugh.gif

I seem to remember a conversation with him around the time of issue 60 where he stated he had a number of each issue put aside as a retirement plan. Now at that time little he said was taken serious(Yeah,He was going to do a 300 issue miniseries), but other than divorce,why would he have changed his mind?I have seen very few Cerebus that would qualify as VF as the printing on issue one was terrible. The bootleg copies are superior to the real oneDoes anyone have an idea of the market value of a Cerebust,circa 1988.

No idea on the Cerebust, but I have it on good authority that Dave still has file copies of every issue in storage (including the #1) as well as most of his original art.

Kev

I seem to remember a conversation with him around the time of issue 60 where he stated he had a number of each issue put aside as a retirement plan. Now at that time little he said was taken serious(Yeah,He was going to do a 300 issue miniseries), but other than divorce,why would he have changed his mind?I have seen very few Cerebus that would qualify as VF as the printing on issue one was terrible. The bootleg copies are superior to the real oneDoes anyone have an idea of the market value of a Cerebust,circa 1988.

I hope that Dave is doing something to shore up his financial position. I can't believe that the current circulation of around 6,000 copies per month is leaving much for luxury items after expenses (Gerhard being one of them!!).

I think that if he has got file copies though, they will be pretty well sought after, especially 1 to 5.

It might be better if you wait for CGC to start grading magazines. The rumour is that by then, they will also be certifying books such as Cerebus #1 which they are currently not doing at this point in time.

Are you sure this is the copy that went for a grand? Even my copy is a lot better than this with a total of only five stress lines. I believe that there may be quite a few copies in nicer shape than the one pictured in your scan.

no no, this is MY copy - I'd grade this probably a 6.5 to a 7.0 on the CGC scale, which makes it a $800(?) book, based on the $1K sale?