• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hang onto your hats CEREBUS fans!!!

41 posts in this topic

If you want a really good laugh, look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12589&item=2176267378

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Based on this sale, I guess my 9.8 is worth about $1K? Any takers?? insane.gif

You will have to get in line. I think we should all crank out our Cerbus' and Warrens and flood ebay. Make hay while the sun shines. grin.gif

Dave Sim really created something original. I have always been fascinated by the obscure. I was fortunate to be sent an early copy by a mate in the US in the early 80's and fell in love with it. Was able to pick up all the issues for relatively peanuts (most in at least NM-).

To be honest I never thought it would amount to much and then wizard hyped it up in the 90's and every man and his dog wanted them.

Now with the potentiality of CGC all the label whores and fan boys are going to town.

I wish I did have multiples. 893frustrated.gif

Wish I had picked up some art along the way too. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Harry Kremer helped me get some pages way back when when Dave started unloading them somehwere when the issues were in the 70s or so. But I was really pissed when I missed out on that beautiful painted cover to #31 (or #32?) Chasing Cootie!!! Its beautiful.

Hey Aman....you got me thinking as to why I fell for Cerebus. In oz in the 70's we had a surfing magazine called Tracks and there was a cartoon character in it called Captain Goodvibes. Now he was a very smutty and irreverant pig (a living oz legend) and I always felt that Cerebus had been modelled on him (pig...aardvark what the hey both their snouts were drawn in the same fashion).

Having said all this, when I get home I am going to call my dad and see whether or not he threw those Tracks magazines out.

What's the bet that he did.... 893censored-thumb.gif

thats usually the way the story goes..but good luck.

I had heard about it in the store I went to in the 80s. But I never like funny animals comics. First issue I read was 36, The Night Before, when Jaka returns and gives him back his sword and necklace/chain thing. One long interesting conversation. A very cool comic! And then as I started getting hooked reading the Swords reprints. I began lusting after and chasing down all the earlier issues after seeing the cool covers on the back. Harry sold me a bunch of beauties.

Its a brilliant, if overly self-indulgent, epic fantasy. An amazing piece of work, literally a lifetime's worth...30 years in the telling.

I was watching this auction today and planned on bidding until a couple of yahoos started a [!@#%^&^] contest. I'm still not sure why either party didn't wait until the final minute or so to lay down their final bid. Had they done that they might have gotten these books for a fraction of what the one guy ended up paying for them. If anybody can shed some light on why somebody would have this type of bidding strategy, do share with me. I'm wondering if these were done with bidding software?

In case you don't want to click the link the books went from $57.84 to $135.47 in the last 15 minutes or so of the auction as they went back and forth.

It's interesting. The winner (timetofloss) has also bought up a load of other Cerebus runs which DO NOT include the rare issues either. As a reminder, check out my thread on the Marketplace forum which hinted that things were taking off. I'm not sure whether he just doesn't know which ones are valuable/ rare, or he he has boxes of the early issues and wants these later ones to complete the sets.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Which do you guys think? tongue.gif

Holy [!@#%^&^]! I wouldn't pay more than $30 for that lot.. mostly common #s!

Yeah, the books were at $28.52 when I found the auction early this morning. I bookmarked the auction as I'm trying to replace the Cerebus issues I know I have but can't find since I moved. frown.gif I was hoping I could snag the lot for $40 or so bucks. *sigh* Oh well I'll just have to find some other auctions to bid on I guess.

yup---but Ive never seen one with NO cracks, have you. Even this copy with 10 or so is fairly nice given that everything else seems okay. I think that's a record price, isnt it?? And one guy lost by $2....oooops!!

Five years ago on E-bay, I saw one with no cracks, nicest book I ever saw. At the time, it sold for $200 over the current guide price, and I was outbid by about $5. I still kick myself.

I ended up selling #2 through whatever issue they were on at the time about four years ago, mostly in bulk runs. Got nice prices for the early stuff.

I remember owning Cerebus 14, do not know why it was in my possession, but if it was in Near Mint at the time I would be kicking myself today if I did not have it available for potential slabbing (of course 14 might not be worth the price of a slab, but it would have been cool to have a very early issue of Cerebus in my possession).

Bump (I am responding to this thread to bump it up, as I am trying to bury another annoying thread about comics that came out from a certain company that Joe C. adores ).

Re: the Cerebus 1 with no spine cracks... entirely possible it was a counterfeit copy being passed off as real. Maybe it was genuine, but you have to consider the alternative given the scarcity of nice copies.

btw...I just noticed in Previews the cover to Cerebus #293. Its got a very old and frail and wrinkly Cerebus climbing into a throne like chair. Looks like he really will die on schedule: Alone and Unloved.

Re: the Cerebus 1 with no spine cracks... entirely possible it was a counterfeit copy being passed off as real. Maybe it was genuine, but you have to consider the alternative given the scarcity of nice copies.

Actually, it was a two comic set, both autographed by Sim. One was original, one was counterfeit. Sim autographed them as a pair, and signed the original as "this is an original" and the counterfeit as "this is a counterfeit."

Would have made a hell of a centerpiece for the collection.