• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading help

34 posts in this topic

Hi all!

This is my first post.

Here's a book for you to guess the grade.

It will be going to CGC in a few weeks.

Since it's my first submit, I'm curious as to what it may get.

I'll post a few more books tomorrow night when I have time.

Description of flaws below...

mtu1.jpg

Top left corner: Touch of wear. Tiny color break coming from the touch.

Top right corner: Sharp and flawless. (The scan makes it look bad)

Bottom left corner: Nice and almost perfect. Looks like a very slight touch of wear.

Bottom right corner: Small color breaking fold. Still sharp however.

Both Staples: Very small stress lines at top and bottom of each staple. Very slight color break. They almost look like they were slightly torn, but I can't tell. The staples are perfect with absolutely no discoloration, and positioned almost perfectly on the spine.

Spine: Otherwise flawless with absolutely no other stresses.

Right Side: The cover hangs over the inside pages by about 1/32" and the color is starting to show flaws in this area in places up this side.

Back Cover: Absolutely flawless and clean. (No bread required) makepoint.gif

Additional note: The front cover has a horizontal line through the top border (Under the word "Human Torch"). This is a printing defect that is common to this issue because I have seen several graded copies with this same flaw. That same defect can also be seen in the black area just to the left of the window.

Pages: Off White, supple and complete with no defects or tears.

Thanks for taking time to give it a look. 893applaud-thumb.gif

This looks like anywhere between a 7.0 and 8.0, but right now I see it as a 7.0 f/vf based on the defects I see on the cover. However, I usually lowball on the scans, cause there's usually defects I can't pick up unless I can actually see the book.

VF-, if you haven't already it may be worthwhile for you not to mail it in. You can sell yours for some $$, and get a CGC VF 8.0 for the price of your book plus the grading.

Brian

If that gets a 9.2, "i'll eat a bug!" It is true that CGC tends to be lenient on this particular book just like the other "black frame" covers (ie MS #5), but they undercut mine 893censored-thumb.giftongue.gif

Did anyone else notice this issue has the "Infamous Line" running through the top part of the cover scene?

Yes. This is in my notes listed below the picture.

Thanks for the guesses so far.

Can anyone else give me their opinion?

It's a nice looking book. If it's for your collection, I suggest you just keep it unslabbed.

It's a nice looking book. If it's for your collection, I suggest you just keep it unslabbed.

Actually, I'm putting together a set of MTU in NM- or better from issue 1-25.

This is the only copy of #1 I own.

I will upgrade it. And when I do, I'm sure this one will be sold.

My honest opinion was that it would grade 8.0 with a slight shot at 8.5.

If this is the case, should I slab it knowing that I will eventually sell it?

Would it bring more as a slabbed 8.0 (OW), or as a raw VF/VF+?

Would it bring more as a slabbed 8.0 (OW), or as a raw VF/VF+?

my honest opinion is that if it is an 8.0, keep it raw. a VF or VF+ listing on ebay will get all of the folks "looking" for an undergraded gem into the bidding frenzy. if it is slabbed at 8.0 then i think you will get less or the same, but not more. plus you have grading fees to consider.

if you feel very strongly about the possibility of an 8.5 then you MAY want to go with it as that is a pretty respectable grade for this book.

Census

and you could break even depending upon what you paid. or make a few bucks. or not. but only if you really think (75% sure of) an 8.5. otherwise you may be tossin money to the wind especially if you will be upgrading.