• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting insights on Restoration - from the source

10 posts in this topic

Fascinating... I just got off the phone with the CGC grading dept. I spoke to one of the graders, a guy named Mark. He reviewed the notes on a purple-labeled All Flash #4 with me - the notes on the label simply read "Restoration includes: very small amount of glue on spine of cover at staple." Mark was very patient in explaining the rationale behind the purple label in this instance. According to him (per the notes on this book in CGC's database), the All Flash #4 got the purple label because in CGC's opinion, removing the glue would affect the book structurally; specifically, it would cause the lower staple to become detached, either from the front cover, or the back cover, or both (I don't think their notes were clear enough for him to be more specific).

More interestingly, he also explained that those GA books that receive the universal blue label, that note "slight restoration" like this, are given the blue label because the graders feel that removing the "restoration" in question would not adversely affect the book's appearance and/or structure. Mark went so far as to suggest that in such instances, such a book might be penalized (my word, not his) by .5 of a grade because the glue is present...but if you unslabbed the book (let's say it's currently slabbed as a 6.5), removed the glue, and resubmitted it to CGC, it might get a 7.0 ...

Mark is probably Mark Haspel. He's been extremely helpful and eager to please when I've called and talked to him.

I'm assuming they listed the restoration as "(A)" for Amateur? Chris Friesan told me the main thing they're communicating when they say it's "professional" is that quality materials and work were used allowing the work to be removed, whereas ""amateur" means the work is irreversible.

What I don't get about that explanation is that they don't call simple trimming either (A)mateur or (P)rofessional. It seems like it would be amateur since you can't remove it. I'm assuming they think the technique is a part of what goes into amateur versus pro restoration, so they don't judge trimming either way because it can be done well or it can be done poorly.

Kind of off topic, but...

I have met Mark Haspel on a couple of occasions and I have to say the guy has his stuff together. On one particular occasion at a con in NYC, i had just purchased a VG+ or so copy of FF #4. We got to talking and i somehow wound up taking the book out of the plastic so he could get a better look. He went over that book for a minute and caught the single smallest retouch I have ever seen. This was microscopic. I am no slouch at grading (collecting seriously for 15 years) but I missed it. He impressed the hell out of me. At the time I was on the fence about CGC and he helped win me over. The guy is pretty damn good. 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

Mark is probably Mark Haspel. He's been extremely helpful and eager to please when I've called and talked to him.I'm assuming they listed the restoration as "(A)" for Amateur? Chris Friesan told me the main thing they're communicating when they say it's "professional" is that quality materials and work were used allowing the work to be removed, whereas ""amateur" means the work is irreversible.What I don't get about that explanation is that they don't call simple trimming either (A)mateur or (P)rofessional. It seems like it would be amateur since you can't remove it. CGC calls the reglossed cover on my Brave and Bold 28 professional but no one I have talked to has a clue on how to undo it.

Whoa, it's hard to tell what you said and what I said...be sure not to type your response inside quote tags.

Anybody know if reglossing is reversible?

Sorry about that. Wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. Seemed to work when I was trying it. Bill

I, too, have noticed and commented on this phenomena. I believe it is an "undocumented feature" of the board software. shocked.gif

To answer FF's question, yes, the label on the All Flash 4 includes the "(A)" for amateur. Of course, with a small drop of glue, how can anyone tell for sure if it's professional or amateur? Simply basing that on whether it's reversible seems arbitrary... is all amateur restoration irreversible? Is all pro resto reversible? It doesn't seem that cut-and-dry to me...?

Yes, it was Mark Haspel, now that you mention it. And yes, he was very knowledgeable, to say the least...not to mention extremely patient and forthcoming with info.

To Elvis' point, he Mark definitely struck me as a guy you'd want to pay $1,000 for the day, to follow you around at a convention and double-check every book you were thinking of buying - assuming, of course you were planning to drop $50k or so smile.gif

Simply basing that on whether it's reversible seems arbitrary... is all amateur restoration irreversible? Is all pro resto reversible? It doesn't seem that cut-and-dry to me...?

I believe it is that cut and dried for some restorers, although I'm not sure about CGC's opinion. Here's a link to a page on Matt Nelson's site where he says every additive restoration technique he uses is fully reversible:

http://www.comicrestoration.freeservers.com/009-faq.htm