• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2019 at 8:30 AM, jimjum12 said:

I remember when I was a young guy.... I'd read the Kubert stories and skip the others.... I always liked them a bit, but went more for the hero and fantasy stuff. I suppose it was Kirby's defection to D.C. that really put the war books on my radar. I can't even remember when I first became aware of the wash tone covers, but I quickly began to prize them..... one of the books that's been in my collection the longest is a wash tone, but not War.... it's a Viking Prince cover on B&B 23. Andy (Thirdgreenham) ran a poll once that ranked all the Wash Tone War books.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

That B&B 23 is such a great book. The switch to the large font for "Viking Prince" [and smaller logo for B&B] was WAY overdue. The Kubert art on all the VPs is astounding, but especially on those later issues. If people are war comics fans, then the B&B 1-24 run is a special treat because it featured the art of most of the war comics stable--Heath, Novick, Kubert, A&E--throughout but with adventure stories featuring Robin Hood, Viking Prince, Golden Gladiator, and Silent Knight. The three washtones--18, 22, and 23--are eminently cool and nicely complement the likes of the perty thirty GIC run and the other washtone war books peppered throughout the Big-5 runs.

I remember you had a few really nice examples from the Viking Prince run.... and in a way, they ARE war books.... just war before the guns and tanks were invented. Happy New Year, Mick :foryou: GOD BLESS.....

20 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I remember you had a few really nice examples from the Viking Prince run.... and in a way, they ARE war books.... just war before the guns and tanks were invented. Happy New Year, Mick :foryou: GOD BLESS.....

Let's fight with Huns!

16 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i didn't know that ... was it because they were extra hard work ?

If you click on to about the 17/18 minute mark of the 1st section Craig, you can hear his views on the subject. The whole interview is worth a listen, should you be interested (thumbsu.

http://www.comiczoneradio.com/russ-heath.html

Edited by Gnasher

I was re-reading the insightful piece that the late Bob Haney wrote for this Big Five issue...it was very powerful to have so many actual veterans like Haney (WW2, Navy) involved in the Big Five books.  I thought I'd share this photo of the cover of my copy, because I was able to get it autographed by the legendary Russ Heath!  :cloud9:  I saw him at one of his last con appearances in Long Beach.  We had a nice talk that day too.  His signature is under the wing on the left. 

Big Five.jpg

2 minutes ago, OV said:

I was re-reading the insightful piece that the late Bob Haney wrote for this Big Five issue...it was very powerful to have so many actual veterans like Haney (WW2, Navy) involved in the Big Five books.  I thought I'd share this photo of the cover of my copy, because I was able to get it autographed by the legendary Russ Heath!  :cloud9:  I saw him at one of his last con appearances in Long Beach.  We had a nice talk that day too.  His signature is under the wing on the left. 

Big Five.jpg

Love it!  👍😊

Speaking of comics writers. . .
Comic-Fest from about 3 weeks ago was a local San Diego show that's a 3-Day affair that is a bit of a throw-back to old-school Comic-Con from the 70s and 80s. A LOT of great panels. (Wish the dealer's room was a bit more robust with old mom & pop dealers, but that's a slow process.)  Anyway, there was a panel about a Native-American war comic book that got my attention. And I walked into the room as it was just starting. . .
. . .and it was our own buddy Chag presenting about his new comic called Soldier's Unknown
It's a staggering work that you ALL should read. It is a respectful and factual treatment of a story that Chag had the wherewithal to tell. It depicts the military service of Indigenous Americans that hasn't seeped into the consciousness of most Americans. . .most people of the world. Speaking for myself, I know little of this topic and now I want to find out more. I want my students to know about it, too. I took a pic of Chag presenting and a snap of the book.
Beautifully written by Chag and illustrated by Rahsan Ekedal.
Bravo, sir. Chag, maybe you can provide a link to where we can get our hands on a copy?

chag1.jpg

605689723.jpg