• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, comick1 said:

Speaking of comics writers. . .
Comic-Fest from about 3 weeks ago was a local San Diego show that's a 3-Day affair that is a bit of a throw-back to old-school Comic-Con from the 70s and 80s. A LOT of great panels. (Wish the dealer's room was a bit more robust with old mom & pop dealers, but that's a slow process.)  Anyway, there was a panel about a Native-American war comic book that got my attention. And I walked into the room as it was just starting. . .
. . .and it was our own buddy Chag presenting about his new comic called Soldier's Unknown
It's a staggering work that you ALL should read. It is a respectful and factual treatment of a story that Chag had the wherewithal to tell. It depicts the military service of Indigenous Americans that hasn't seeped into the consciousness of most Americans. . .most people of the world. Speaking for myself, I know little of this topic and now I want to find out more. I want my students to know about it, too. I took a pic of Chag presenting and a snap of the book.
Beautifully written by Chag and illustrated by Rahsan Ekedal.
Bravo, sir. Chag, maybe you can provide a link to where we can get our hands on a copy?

chag1.jpg

605689723.jpg

Second the motion.  Chag, I've been waiting for this since you mentioned it at SDCC a few years back.  Congrats on finishing it!

On 3/25/2020 at 6:15 PM, comick1 said:

Speaking of comics writers. . .
Comic-Fest from about 3 weeks ago was a local San Diego show that's a 3-Day affair that is a bit of a throw-back to old-school Comic-Con from the 70s and 80s. A LOT of great panels. (Wish the dealer's room was a bit more robust with old mom & pop dealers, but that's a slow process.)  Anyway, there was a panel about a Native-American war comic book that got my attention. And I walked into the room as it was just starting. . .
. . .and it was our own buddy Chag presenting about his new comic called Soldier's Unknown
It's a staggering work that you ALL should read. It is a respectful and factual treatment of a story that Chag had the wherewithal to tell. It depicts the military service of Indigenous Americans that hasn't seeped into the consciousness of most Americans. . .most people of the world. Speaking for myself, I know little of this topic and now I want to find out more. I want my students to know about it, too. I took a pic of Chag presenting and a snap of the book.
Beautifully written by Chag and illustrated by Rahsan Ekedal.
Bravo, sir. Chag, maybe you can provide a link to where we can get our hands on a copy?

chag1.jpg

605689723.jpg

Thank you so much Mick!  I appreciate that you took the time to come to my talk at Comic Fest, and I consider your praise of my work a very high honor!  In fact, I think it's a dream come true, to have a real war comic enthusiast and historian like you to post about it in this thread, on these boards.  If anyone wants a signed copy they can message me here, or they can purchase one on Amazon.  One thing to note for all you war comic collectors, you'll see the little logo on the photo of the cover that says "The United States World War One Centennial Commission."  That's the official endorsement seal of the commission, a group of academics and military personnel who were presidential-appointees.  My book was the only graphic novel they vetted and endorsed in their five-year history.  This group was meeting in Paris when they reviewed my work and endorsed it.  So, comics can convey war and history and also be recognized at the highest academic level.  I appreciate being able to share this with such a great group of war comic collectors here! 

The book is a triumph, Chag! Likewise, I'm honored that you said those things about me. I really just think of myself as a fanboy who happens to dig historical texts that provide accurate and respectful representation of people in the way that you did it. The book deserves high accolades and I'm excited to be able to share the copies I purchased with the Title-VII program in SDUSD as well as the military populations that my department works with. I'm also going to make sure that the Instructional Media Center (a "central library" of sorts for SD Unified teachers) gets a copy so that the librarians there can consider it for a wider rollout in middle and high school libraries across the district.

Bummer is that I think school's gonna probably be indefinitely cancelled at least until June, but I'll see if this can take off a bit in the Fall.
Bravo, sir. It's a refreshing update to the brilliant canon of Kanigher, Haney, Heath, Kubert, Maneely, Grandenetti, Glanzman, Drucker, Estrada, Severin, etc. So glad you saw it through!

6 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Close but not a grey tone. Great Kubert cover nevertheless!

It has some elements (mainly chiaroscuro) that make it appear like a washtone. I have to concur, though. It's not a washtone. It's definitely a cover that I have loved forever and ever. Kubert every step of the way!

58 minutes ago, comick1 said:

It has some elements (mainly chiaroscuro) that make it appear like a washtone. I have to concur, though. It's not a washtone. It's definitely a cover that I have loved forever and ever. Kubert every step of the way!

Another example of Kubert’s genius. I’m patiently awaiting a celebration of Kubert and his work in an upcoming OSPG War Report. The 50th Anniversary Edition of the Guide would be the perfect time to honor one of the greatest ever!

Thanks for the expert opinions guys, It was part of a recent pre-virus flea market find. 

I didn’t think it was a grey tone because of the grey sub but the frogmen have that look to it. Happy to have it either way. Right in my favorite DC era and has a nice Russ Heath story to boot. 

R.I.P.

MORT DRUCKER

One of my favorite War artists from the 50's... went on to a very illustrious career with MAD Magazine. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

R.I.P.

MORT DRUCKER

One of my favorite War artists from the 50's... went on to a very illustrious career with MAD Magazine. GOD BLESS....

Mine too. He will always (rightly) be known for his MAD work but I'm partial to his war stuff

On 4/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, comick1 said:

Speaking of Drucker, I traded him a bunch of his war comics for a sketch of Mlle. Marie. Super stoked that I had the wherewithal to do that. It was cool to connect with these guys over the years. The fanboy that I was, I commissioned most of them to draw a sketch of something war comics related. Here are a few cool ones. (Apparently, that wasn't the first time I'd gotten a sketch from Kubert. . .busted! I like the look on Rock's face. And then Glanzman's comment afterward. Quintessential Glanzman!!!!!!).

IMG_9578.jpg

IMG_9579.jpg

IMG_9580.jpg

IMG_9582.jpg

MOLDIV-001.jpg

Awe.  Some!  That's killer stuff Mick.  Truly irreplaceable.  

I remember that dinner well, and I remember talking with Drucker that night.  He told me that his 3 dot umlaut was for 'God bless America'. 

I wish I could have asked him if he inked Gene Colan stories from time to time at Atlas …. I see his touch in many of Colans better stories from then …. and Weissinger was notorious for throwing freelancers who moonlighted for the competition off the roof of the D.C. offices, so naturally it wouldn't be noted. GOD BLESS....