• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, CycloneComics said:

I am amazed that this thread is still going strong....What started out with the question  "Does anyone know who was actually answering all those letters in Sgt. Rocks Combat Corner"

Turned into a thread with 10.8k replies and over 1.1m views....

Truely amazing

John

John, you're a bad@$$ for asking that question way back in the day. Started a good thing. . .well before I joined up back in 2007. There have been a LOT of good people who've filtered in and out of [and a good chunk of them stayed for the duration of] this thread over these past 14 years. I've made friends with a number of good folks who I've met in this exact thread. Thanks for getting this off the ground, my friend.

On 2/13/2021 at 5:39 PM, kagemusha7s said:

20210212_020451.jpg

Mike, that is an absolutely SPARKLING copy of GIC 91. Sooooooo nice! Love that book. It took me forEVER to score a nice copy of that book. About 30 years to be precise. For awhile there, there was a SINGLE copy that had made the rounds to different collectors and it changed hands to everybody except me (if it fell into my hands, I would've kept it), and then another 20 years passed before I saw a truly nice copy again. It's a 12¢er that--in high grade--is easily as difficult to score as most of the 10¢ DCs from the 5-10 years previous. Just a bear to find by my personal experience. There are still a few 12¢ war books I need in grade (no, I'm not announcing which ones they are), but that GIC 91 is--in my opinion--one of the toughest.

1 hour ago, comick1 said:

Mike, that is an absolutely SPARKLING copy of GIC 91. Sooooooo nice! Love that book. It took me forEVER to score a nice copy of that book. About 30 years to be precise. For awhile there, there was a SINGLE copy that had made the rounds to different collectors and it changed hands to everybody except me (if it fell into my hands, I would've kept it), and then another 20 years passed before I saw a truly nice copy again. It's a 12¢er that--in high grade--is easily as difficult to score as most of the 10¢ DCs from the 5-10 years previous. Just a bear to find by my personal experience. There are still a few 12¢ war books I need in grade (no, I'm not announcing which ones they are), but that GIC 91 is--in my opinion--one of the toughest.

This copy, if I'm not mistaken, was the first book I ever bought on the boards.  

On 1/22/2021 at 9:28 AM, buttock said:

The past year I've been fortunate enough to get a few nice books with Drucker art and I've developed a deep appreciation for how good he was in this genre.  Not that I'm saying he wasn't good elsewhere, because I think he's just outstanding as an artist.  But when I see his war stuff, I see genius level stuff.  (Kubert cover)

our fighting forces 27.jpg

D9403BFF-0C50-47AC-880C-61AF3F1E96DD.jpeg

Drucker is and always will be a stratospheric rockstar for his indelible work on MAD Magazine. I loved it as a teenager along with Aragones, Don Martin, Prohias, Al Jaffee, etc. But I was surprised to see--as I started to assemble DC war books back in the late 80s--that that same guy who did all those movie/TV parodies was responsible for some utterly STAGGERING artwork in some of the same issues that contained Kubert and Heath artwork. I place Drucker's work in that same echelon. There were a lot of amazing artists that were the "mainstays" of DC, but those 3 will always be my favs from that era. Disappointingly, Drucker was underappreciated by Kanigher and that might explain why he never was chosen to illustrate any covers. To my knowledge, Drucker didn't do much [if anything] in the way of cover work for MAD, either.

There IS a western cover that he did for a somewhat obscure publisher--Timor--from the 1950s--Blazing Western #4. It stands out in my mind because it's the ONLY cover I've ever seen that's drawn by Drucker. Maybe he did others (Bob Hope? Jerry Lewis?), but I don't know which of those comedy covers [if any] he did. I know he did interiors, just not sure about the covers. If anybody knows about other covers by Drucker, lemme know. I've always wondered how a guy as prolific and talented as Drucker during the 50s wouldn't get more cover assignments.

21 hours ago, comick1 said:

Drucker is and always will be a stratospheric rockstar for his indelible work on MAD Magazine. I loved it as a teenager along with Aragones, Don Martin, Prohias, Al Jaffee, etc. But I was surprised to see--as I started to assemble DC war books back in the late 80s--that that same guy who did all those movie/TV parodies was responsible for some utterly STAGGERING artwork in some of the same issues that contained Kubert and Heath artwork. I place Drucker's work in that same echelon. There were a lot of amazing artists that were the "mainstays" of DC, but those 3 will always be my favs from that era. Disappointingly, Drucker was underappreciated by Kanigher and that might explain why he never was chosen to illustrate any covers. To my knowledge, Drucker didn't do much [if anything] in the way of cover work for MAD, either.

There IS a western cover that he did for a somewhat obscure publisher--Timor--from the 1950s--Blazing Western #4. It stands out in my mind because it's the ONLY cover I've ever seen that's drawn by Drucker. Maybe he did others (Bob Hope? Jerry Lewis?), but I don't know which of those comedy covers [if any] he did. I know he did interiors, just not sure about the covers. If anybody knows about other covers by Drucker, lemme know. I've always wondered how a guy as prolific and talented as Drucker during the 50s wouldn't get more cover assignments.

GCD says he did some Bob Hope, Jerry Lewis, and Fox & Crows.  They also say All Star Western 88 (I'm guessing the background figures, but records attribute solely to Kane) & Billy Buckskin 3, but Atlastales says BB3 is signed by Severin.  Nothing else.  

On 3/6/2021 at 10:05 AM, CycloneComics said:

I am amazed that this thread is still going strong....What started out with the question  "Does anyone know who was actually answering all those letters in Sgt. Rocks Combat Corner"

Turned into a thread with 10.8k replies and over 1.1m views....

Truely amazing

John

Thanks for starting it, John! (worship) 

On 3/7/2021 at 11:40 PM, buttock said:

Billy Buckskin 3, but Atlastales says BB3 is signed by Severin. 

He just did the cover of BB 3 ... Severin that is. The other two covers are Maneely. I've got all three Buckskins and Drucker did all but one story in each ... Williamson has a short in one issue. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu