• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
18 18

11,081 posts in this topic

Soon, I'm going to start picking up CGC'd Sgt. Fury books. I want that to be my only high grade CGC run. Going for all 9.0+ except for #1.

I just read Sgt. Fury #11 today. Stan Lee -script and Ayers pencils. I have to say I wasn't too impressed with this issue. The story was Capt. Sawyer took a leave for a bit, and a loser officer came to replace him. Story seemed pretty...blah.

Edited by KingOfRulers

I think the best Fury's are actually the ones with John Severin artwork and Ayers inks, I think they begin in the 40s or 50s but very good stuff. The Fury stories were never as intense or as serious as the most of the DC war titles

Although I like to think I have a nice Sgt. Fury collection, that is certainly not my main area of interest. I love DC war because of the fantastic artwork and the great, often realistic stories (except for some of the Unknown Soldier-but I love those books too). Sgt. Fury was just a little to over the top for me. He rip off his shirt and run into flying bullets on a month to month basis. Ah, that's not fair, he's alright, just not my cup of tea anymore.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Andy

I loved Sgt. Fury when I was a kid. But compared to the DC war books, they definitely are a little more shallow.

That said, the Ayers/Severin artwork was really great. One of my favorite war stories of all time is 'The All-American' in #82 (I think!). Great stuff - I sill have a stack of low-grades from when I was a kid. My one memory is that I saw 10 Sgt. Fury back issues for every one DC war back issue.

Shep

You mean you like the Teen Titans in Showcase 59? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Joking aside, I took a boo and not only are Archangels selling the 9.4 of Showcase #58 (Boston Pedigree), Heritage have just listed a 9.8 (Also Boston Pedigree).

I love that book, but I'm going to keep my eye out for a nicely-priced 9.0.

Still... those books are MONSTERS!! cloud9.gif

Shep

You mean you like the Teen Titans in Showcase 59? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Joking aside, I took a boo and not only are Archangels selling the 9.4 of Showcase #58 (Boston Pedigree), Heritage have just listed a 9.8 (Also Boston Pedigree).

I love that book, but I'm going to keep my eye out for a nicely-priced 9.0.

Still... those books are MONSTERS!! cloud9.gif

Shep

Yeah...isn't this the Teen Titans collecting thread? stooges.gif

Obviously meant the 58 27_laughing.gif Seems like there are plenty of copies around this month. There sure weren't a few months ago...

I love that book, John!

I bought a copy in 1978 at my LCS. It was off-the shelf fresh, probably in the 9.2-9.4 range. I immediately put a tape tear on the cover, not that I cared, and I loved reading it. I looked at it a few months back, and I've never seen whiter pages in a pre-1970 comic. Granted, it's pretty beater now. Bought it for a buck, along with nice copies of Star Spangled War #143 and #148 (which I upgraded on long ago.) It's one of those 'from my childhood' books that I'll never part with.

Too bad there aren't more nice copies of Showcase #45 out there. I've been looking for a 9.0+ copy for a while. Mine's 7.5/8.0, which I'm not moaning about, but I that's another Showcase that I'd love to get in sparkly shape. Any leads?

Shep

I love that book, John!

I bought a copy in 1978 at my LCS. It was off-the shelf fresh, probably in the 9.2-9.4 range. I immediately put a tape tear on the cover, not that I cared, and I loved reading it. I looked at it a few months back, and I've never seen whiter pages in a pre-1970 comic. Granted, it's pretty beater now. Bought it for a buck, along with nice copies of Star Spangled War #143 and #148 (which I upgraded on long ago.) It's one of those 'from my childhood' books that I'll never part with.

Too bad there aren't more nice copies of Showcase #45 out there. I've been looking for a 9.0+ copy for a while. Mine's 7.5/8.0, which I'm not moaning about, but I that's another Showcase that I'd love to get in sparkly shape. Any leads?

Shep

I wish I had a lead...I saw one in9.2 about 6 months ago and got outbid on the thing...I imagine i'll have to pay out the ying yang for a nice copy if one ever surfaces...Now that book has a great cover... cloud9.gif...I have totally cleaned out all my local sources for war books(and about any other DC in 9.4-9.8 -- they still charge guide prices out here)...Like everyone else, I have a wantlist with just about anyone who will take them, but nothing but dry lately...though clink has 5 books I'll be bidding heavily on in their next focused auction... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As promised:

OAAW153.jpg

Sweet Jeezus! Nice book. I thought I had a nice copy of that, but mmm mmm that's good!

Those yellows and pinks on that cover in nice shape just make it a joy to hold! cloud9.gif

Way to go, John!

thumbsup2.gif

Andy

Shep

I've got a nice 8.5 CGC of that book, but always looking to buy more. I'm happy with it in any grade to tell you the truth. A sickness of mine is I'm a little bit of a hoarder of key issues, so I should have about 10 copies of Showcase 45, mostly VG's mind you. screwy.gif

Andy