• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing project results--post here

355 posts in this topic

I'm at the Philly show this weekend, but before I left I shipped the books back to the people who participated in the pressing project offered on the boards a few weeks ago. Those packages should start showing up today or Monday. I've emailed each participant a link to this thread, so some feedback should show up here soon.

As mentioned in the initial post regarding this offering, all participants' books that were submitted and pressed would be listed here. I've also made brief notes for some of the books sent in, and will comment further as the results are posted.

Boomtown

- Silver Surfer #1

- Conan #9

- Conan #23

- Avengers #57

- Super TV Heroes #1

Red Hook

- Strange Tales #125

- X-men #14

- Avengers #28

Divad

- Supergirl #1

- Witching Hour #13

- Ghost Rider #1

- Defenders #1

- Vampirella #1

Shadroch

- Spidey #100

- Avengers #117

- Flash #177

Worldsbestcomics

- Spectacular Spidey #25

- Spectacular Spidey #33

- Spidey #129 reprint

October

- Wonder Woman #199

- Phantom Stranger #13

- X-men #65

- House of Secrets #94

- Spidey #15

Darthdiesel

- Marvel Superheroes #58

- Planet of the Apes #5

- Weird Wonder Tales #16

- Chamber of Chills #23

- Rawhide Kid #133

(all 30 cent variants)

Rip

- House of Secrets #104

- X-men #125

- Tomahawk #127

Sundst1030

- Batman #202

- Detective #627

- Detective #496

The Collector

- Black Lightning #2

- Heroes Against Hunger nn

- Ghost Rider #1

Dm226

- Fantastic Four #1 record reprint

- Captain America #101

- Spidey #300

- Atom #33

- Green Lantern #64

Maxstuf

- Giant-Size X-men #1

- Classics Illustrated #64

- WDC&S #21

(the GSX #1 is finished, but the two Golden Age were done separately, and weren't finished in time for shipping this weekend.)

Bobpfef

- Little Lulu #120

- Fairy Tale Parade #4

- Whiz #32

(Again, Golden Age books that were not finished in time for shipping. Results will be posted later)

Comicdey

- Captain Marvel #51

- Whiz #56

- Planet #21

(Collin's Captain Marvel was a great press candidate, but the Whiz and Planet were actually better restoration candidates, which we have proceeded to do. I hope he posts pics of all three once they're done--particularly the Planet, which is a great candidate for tape removal and cleaning)

Six others initially on the list did not submit books within the timeframe needed for the project. So I went ahead and pressed the extra books for the guys who sent in more than three.

Overall, the kind of books that were submitted covered the gamut. I received new comics, bronze, silver, gold, low grade, high grade, good candidates, some not so good. The best candidates are the higher grades because the process is so slight, and doesn't always remove some heavier defects, like severe warping or bends. There were a few like that here.

I'll be at the forum dinner tonight in Philly...looking forward to chatting with everyone and eating some good food!

Matt Nelson

Hi Matt; can't wait to see some of the results and read the accompanying commentaries....................

enjoy the dinner tonight - sounds like it will definitely be different and fun......... thumbsup2.gif

I'm real curious to see some before/after scans, and if forum members feel they would be able to tell that their books had been pressed without any prior knowledge of their condition. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mine are coming later, but I'll definately be posting scans of before and after.

the Captain Marvel 51 will be a nice press job I'm sure,

the Whiz 56 wasn't spine rolled, but had 2 misfolded center wraps from production, so needed to be taken out and refolded.

The planet just needed help in general as it was severely warbled from water damage, and had some serious stains as well so I decided to see what could be done. It was a solid book that needed a reprieve on life.

Boomtown

- Silver Surfer #1

- Conan #9

- Conan #23

- Avengers #57

- Super TV Heroes #1

Books came back yesterday but I haven't had a chance to scan them in. With the type defects the books had, I'm not sure a scan would show the difference anyway. First off, Matt was great to work with. I was constantly updated about the process & the timeline was followed exactly as he laid out. I've only had a handful of transaction on the board but this was by far the most professional of them. Many members have been trying to bait Matt into a flame war over the past few weeks & I think his professionalism in handling the situation speaks volumes. props to Matt for taking his time to educate some of us uninformed about the process.

Now to the results. Truthfully, when I got the books back I was under the impression that Matt had only pressed 3 of them. The Avengers 57 & the TV Super-Heroes #1 both look very much like the books I sent out. The Avengers 57 had some tic indentions that looked like they were made from the printing process along the spine that I was hoping would be pressed out. They are still there & the book, while possibly flatter, looks enough like the book sent that I was suprised to hear it was pressed.

The TV Super-Heroes had the most general cover wear of the 5 books. It still has some of the more identifiable non color breaking creases, although upon closer looking, I assume it has been pressed & presentation may be upgraded slightly.

Conan #9 & 23. Both of these books had subscription creases that, while non color breaking, were obvious to the eye when the book was held at an angle. Both pressed very nicely. Knowing where the crease was, I can still hold it at an angle & see the area where the problem was, but a friend who hasn't seen the books before was unable to spot the problem. I can certainly say that any higher dollar book with this type problem would benefit greatly from pressing.

Silver Surfer #1. This book had been used as a pad to write on & had writing indentions in various areas. Was disappointed in this one. Much of the indentions are still there. It has been improved but not to the degree that I was hoping for. It's possible that with the giant size & square spine that Matt couldn't apply as much pressure to this book without damage to the spine.

A mixed bag of results in my opinion. I can certainly see the benefits to pressing for certain type of problems, as the results are remarkable. I would be very, very suprised if more than 5% of the board members could pick the pressing up without previous knowledge. The books do not looked "pancaked" or "flattened". I store many of my long boxes standing on their ends, with the idea to apply pressure to books with minor waves or creases. While obviously different processes, the results are similar but magnified to the nth degree. The one that took a few days was of much greater impact than my process that takees 6 to 8 months.

Got to run. I'll post later with some closing thoughts & try to get some pics up also. Lastly, I've never had a book professionally pressed before but am not against the process.

I am not even going to comment on this, but I think it's easy to see who are the money-groveling profit-mongers and who are simply looking to experiment and evaluate the procedure. 27_laughing.gif

I am not even going to comment on this

That is the day we are all waiting for, Vince 27_laughing.gif and waiting . . . .and waiting . . . and waiting.

To say you don't know your arse from a hole in the ground (15,000 posts later) is an understatement of gragantuan proportions. Perhaps you should take a class in listening 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think that's it for me - this place is starting to turn my stomach. confused.gif

Maybe...but why leave when you can show them the error of their ways? If there aren't dissenting opinions, newbies will think it's all kosher...

Jim

I am not even going to comment on this, but I think it's easy to see who are the money-groveling profit-mongers and who are simply looking to experiment and evaluate the procedure. 27_laughing.gif

I want to hear who you think is in each group.

I think that's it for me - this place is starting to turn my stomach. confused.gif

Maybe...but why leave when you can show them the error of their ways? If there aren't dissenting opinions, newbies will think it's all kosher...

Jim

Mutt and Jeff, I love it. The two most contentious members on the Boards (absent Deathlok) 27_laughing.gif What a pair! grin.gifgrin.gif

Funny thing is . . . that Vince is neither Joe, nor Collector, but he'd like you to think he is. He doesn't own a tenth of the books he claims to. . . Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus, but there is no Joe Collector 27_laughing.gif

Mutt and Jeff, I love it. The two most contentious members on the Boards (absent Deathlok) 27_laughing.gif What a pair! grin.gifgrin.gif

Glad you approve..and gladly welcome being attached to JC than to shady dealers such as you... thumbsup2.gif

Jim

Glad you approve..and gladly welcome being attached to JC than to shady dealers such as you... thumbsup2.gif

Jim

As if you have any personal experience whatsoever to make such a libelous comment . . . yeahok.gif the man-child that says everyone likes him . . . 27_laughing.gif