• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing experiment #50020021
6 6

244 posts in this topic

so, what you are saying then, is that to preserve the effects of pressing, one should quickly place the book, untouched, inside a hard protective case... and leave it there indefinitely.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmmmm

Don't forget to heat-seal it in a supa-tight inner well 1st. thumbsup2.gif

What happened to Ze's post/pictures? confused-smiley-013.gif

In the meantime here's a conservator's "portfolio of work" web site.

http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~awilker/papertreatments.htm

Under "Paper Treatments" you can view both a "Treatment Report" and before and after "Photo Documentation" of various projects.

Shows techniques like flattening, fills, inpainting, humidification and dry clean in a lab setting. thumbsup2.gif

"During treatment: Dry cleaning" (3. Dry cleaned both sides of the document with medium grain Staedtler Mars Plastic Eraser crumbs and a soot sponge, avoiding the orange seal (45 min)

listad10b.jpg

Good stuff for getting a sense of how conservation and restoration is applied, and part of the broader UT "Kilgarlin Center for Preservation" student portfolio site.

http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/kilgarlin/portfolios.php

What happened to Ze's post/pictures? confused-smiley-013.gif

In the meantime here's a conservator's "portfolio of work" web site.

http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~awilker/papertreatments.htm

Under "Paper Treatments" you can view both a "Treatment Report" and before and after "Photo Documentation" of various projects.

Shows techniques like flattening, fills, inpainting, humidification and dry clean in a lab setting. thumbsup2.gif

"During treatment: Dry cleaning" (3. Dry cleaned both sides of the document with medium grain Staedtler Mars Plastic Eraser crumbs and a soot sponge, avoiding the orange seal (45 min)

listad10b.jpg

Good stuff for getting a sense of how conservation and restoration is applied, and part of the broader UT "Kilgarlin Center for Preservation" student portfolio site.

http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/kilgarlin/portfolios.php

Uh oh, looks like someone else has tried to remake himself into a restoration expert in case his regular career doesn't pan out! 893whatthe.gif How dare you read up on restoration, Kevin? Don't you know that it's verboten around here to do independent reading on the topic or to share what you've read? poke2.gif

Uh oh, looks like someone else has tried to remake himself into a restoration expert in case his regular career doesn't pan out! 893whatthe.gif How dare you read up on restoration, Kevin? Don't you know that it's verboten around here to do independent reading on the topic or to share what you've read? poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif Nah, I just think it's bizarre the striking difference between artifact conservators and the comic book world. One is required to document and present procedures like any other academic discipline, then with comic pros everything is a "trade secret". gossip.gif Why? confused-smiley-013.gif (I have a sneaking suspicion it's because on does what's best for the artifacts, and the other does what's best for wallets.)

I thought this was interesting, and sort of speaks to Ze's questions about flattened creases (before his post disappeared).

http://home.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind9704e&L=museum-l&T=0&P=3625

"*very important point here. The conservators here at the Ransom Center have always made this point about paper--it tends to have a memory. One wonders quite seriously whether folded and curled documents or photographs might not be apt to curling back up later on even after they're relaxed--paper has a memory, and dry conditions can cause tightness in many media."

The "Ransom Center" refers to the Harry Ransom Center... "one of the premier research libraries in the world." It houses one of the original Gutenberg Bibles and the The First Photograph, 1826

http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/

27_laughing.gif Nah, I just think it's bizarre the striking difference between artifact conservators and the comic book world. One is required to document and present procedures like any other academic discipline, then with comic pros everything is a "trade secret". gossip.gif Why? confused-smiley-013.gif

I thought this was interesting, and sort of speaks to Ze's questions about flattened creases (before his post disappeared).

"*very important point here. The conservators here at the Ransom Center have always made this point about paper--it tends to have a memory. One wonders quite seriously whether folded and curled documents or photographs might not be apt to curling back up later on even after they're relaxed--paper has a memory, and dry conditions can cause tightness in many media."

The "Ransom Center" refers to the Harry Ransom Center... "one of the premier research libraries in the world." It houses one of the original Gutenberg Bibles and the The First Photograph, 1826

I think the difference in "technique sharing" between comic book restoration professionals and "other" art conservators is more easily understood if you consider how small the market is for comic book restoration. If Matt Nelson or Tracey Heft suddenly started freely sharing their information with the general public, you'd have a bunch of people trying to perform restoration on their own, taking away business from the professionals, and probably ruining a few nice books in the process during the early stages of experimentation. Also, Matt and Tracey do share information more freely with their customers than they do with ordinary joes. The level of sharing is nowhere near what you see on the UTA student site, but that's for the reasons stated above.

Also, you have to keep in mind that the detailed how-to pages you're looking at are being done by students, not by conservators, and that web publishing of their projects is part of their certificate program requirements. These portfolios are quite a bit more detailed on a step-by-step basis than most discussions you'll find on the web by professional conservators (with a few exceptions).

The "paper memory" issue is one that has been addressed before, if I remember correctly. I don't know whether a comic book that is professionally pressed will revert back to its pre-pressing state, but I question whether truly "mild" bends that are removed by pressing would revert. Something like spine roll, however, I could see reverting to some degree (however minor) unless the paper fibers are more aggressively treated to flatten them. Another thing to consider is that paper has "memory" when it starts out flat too, before it is bent -- so my question is, which "memory" trumps over which? If the paper is flat, then gets curled, if it is humidified, warmed up, and then returned to room temperature and ambient levels of humidity while under stable pressure, why wouldn't the original "memory" of the paper trump the "later" memory of the paper from when it was curled?

27_laughing.gif Nah, I just think it's bizarre the striking difference between artifact conservators and the comic book world. One is required to document and present procedures like any other academic discipline, then with comic pros everything is a "trade secret". gossip.gif Why? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the difference in "technique sharing" between comic book restoration professionals and "other" art conservators is more easily understood if you consider how small the market is for comic book restoration. If Matt Nelson or Tracey Heft suddenly started freely sharing their information with the general public, you'd have a bunch of people trying to perform restoration on their own, taking away business from the professionals, and probably ruining a few nice books in the process during the early stages of experimentation. Also, Matt and Tracey do share information more freely with their customers than they do with ordinary joes. The level of sharing is nowhere near what you see on the UTA student site, but that's for the reasons stated above.

Also, you have to keep in mind that the detailed how-to pages you're looking at are being done by students, not by conservators, and that web publishing of their projects is part of their certificate program requirements. These portfolios are quite a bit more detailed on a step-by-step basis than most discussions you'll find on the web by professional conservators (with a few exceptions).

The "paper memory" issue is one that has been addressed before, if I remember correctly. I don't know whether a comic book that is professionally pressed will revert back to its pre-pressing state, but I question whether truly "mild" bends that are removed by pressing would revert. Something like spine roll, however, I could see reverting to some degree (however minor) unless the paper fibers are more aggressively treated to flatten them. Another thing to consider is that paper has "memory" when it starts out flat too, before it is bent -- so my question is, which "memory" trumps over which? If the paper is flat, then gets curled, if it is humidified, warmed up, and then returned to room temperature and ambient levels of humidity while under stable pressure, why wouldn't the original "memory" of the paper trump the "later" memory of the paper from when it was curled?

Sharing is one thing. Bombarding is another. poke2.gif

I can understand, up to a point. Institutional conservators probably deal mainly with grant money (guessing), while private practitioners are in the service industry. Still, too much secrecy, one could argue, leads to amature experimentation for education's sake (like this thread) and general confusion and misinformation about the topic.

Great question! thumbsup2.gif I think (just guessing) that curls and light NCB creases are probably two different animals. The creases (like Ze was wondering about) may still have a "weakened fibers" area, even though re-flattened. That may cause the area to "crease" again if the paper is flexed while handeling.

Curls may be (still guessing) susceptible to that "dryness" mentioned. If the overly dry conditions reappear the fibers may "contract" (curl) again.

These are the type things comic resto pros could discuss in detail without giving away the farm.

Just because people can read information about dropping a transmission doesn't mean they're going to slide under the car and start loosening bolts. Some might, but most people have a respect for their own limitations and the expertise of skilled professionals.

Well I am tired of secrets, tired on not knowing so I am taking it upon myself to figure out exactly what pressing is. I will be contacting everyone I can find who knows paper, restoration, and pressing to find out for myself what the f is actually involved.

This is my first step towards that goal.

To my credit I am what is considered a master craftsman so to speak. I am quite good at cutting glass and making leaded windows.

Pressing paper ephemera should be a breeze.

This will be an ongoing experiment. I promise to divulge everything I learn along the way. The sole purpose of which is self education, and anyone else who cares to join in... I welcome all and any feedback.

Instead of person_without_enough_empathying about pressing(which I have done in spades) I want to figure it out for myself. It aint rocket science folks, just alot of trial and error. It involves paper, and various methods of manipulation.

All due respect Matt, you are a very skilled at what you do. I will never be you. I realize you are not to be held responsible for all things evil about pressing.You just happen to be here, and showed your face,it is easy to single you out. I do not for a second take that lightly.

I really dont have the time, nor the resources to devote what is needed to dedicate myself to such a task, but what I do have is desire. A desire to understand what up to now has been a trade secret.

For todays consideration I took a comic, bent a corner and pressed it out in a matter of minutes. I took household tools and spent only a few minutes.. but what I did worked.

It involved heat.

So I guess we call this HEAT experiment #1

I took a comic, bent a corner. Took my iron, turned it on, then off. Placed some paper on either side of the cover...pressed the iron down as hard as I could, moved it around, pressed some more, then placed a heavy book on top for 1 minute. Thats it.

This was meant to be very simplistic, and it was. Any dealer can do this. Its scary.

imageanotherb4corver.jpg

imagebadcornerb4.jpg

inagegreatinside.jpgexperiment1023.jpg

experiment1024.jpg

Here is the book after 2 minutes.

imageaftercoverhandhld.jpg

imagecoverhandheldinsideafter.jpg

End result, the crease was still there, barely. And the paper was only mildly warped from the heat.

I did this in about 5 minutes. On a whim. This is of great interest to me,I have no idea if I am alone in thinking this way.

More to come

Ze-

Nice job!

(thumbs u

Well I am tired of secrets, tired on not knowing so I am taking it upon myself to figure out exactly what pressing is. I will be contacting everyone I can find who knows paper, restoration, and pressing to find out for myself what the f is actually involved.

This is my first step towards that goal.

To my credit I am what is considered a master craftsman so to speak. I am quite good at cutting glass and making leaded windows.

Pressing paper ephemera should be a breeze.

This will be an ongoing experiment. I promise to divulge everything I learn along the way. The sole purpose of which is self education, and anyone else who cares to join in... I welcome all and any feedback.

Instead of person_without_enough_empathying about pressing(which I have done in spades) I want to figure it out for myself. It aint rocket science folks, just alot of trial and error. It involves paper, and various methods of manipulation.

All due respect Matt, you are a very skilled at what you do. I will never be you. I realize you are not to be held responsible for all things evil about pressing.You just happen to be here, and showed your face,it is easy to single you out. I do not for a second take that lightly.

I really dont have the time, nor the resources to devote what is needed to dedicate myself to such a task, but what I do have is desire. A desire to understand what up to now has been a trade secret.

For todays consideration I took a comic, bent a corner and pressed it out in a matter of minutes. I took household tools and spent only a few minutes.. but what I did worked.

It involved heat.

So I guess we call this HEAT experiment #1

I took a comic, bent a corner. Took my iron, turned it on, then off. Placed some paper on either side of the cover...pressed the iron down as hard as I could, moved it around, pressed some more, then placed a heavy book on top for 1 minute. Thats it.

This was meant to be very simplistic, and it was. Any dealer can do this. Its scary.

imageanotherb4corver.jpg

imagebadcornerb4.jpg

inagegreatinside.jpgexperiment1023.jpg

experiment1024.jpg

Here is the book after 2 minutes.

imageaftercoverhandhld.jpg

imagecoverhandheldinsideafter.jpg

End result, the crease was still there, barely. And the paper was only mildly warped from the heat.

I did this in about 5 minutes. On a whim. This is of great interest to me,I have no idea if I am alone in thinking this way.

More to come

Ze-

Nice job!

(thumbs u

Kenny ,

The warping is removed by allowing it to cool under pressure such as a stack of books. Now , from preventing the back from looking like a waffle , your on your own. I haven't tried correcting that , or pressing since I got yelled at, questioned several mos. ago. (thumbs u

B~

Edited by bhhooks22