• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing experiment #50020021
6 6

244 posts in this topic

Normally, when a three year old thread gets bumped there is a reason.

He had a reason Sean, he was trying to point out that I pressed a NCB bend on the corner of a key book in my experiment and should be raked over the coals for it. I guess.

What's funny is shortly after I made this thread Matt contacted me to see if I had interest in training under him.

It was a hoot to re read how hot headed I was! :flamed: Those were the days.

Kenny ,

The warping is removed by allowing it to cool under pressure such as a stack of books. Now , from preventing the back from looking like a waffle , your on your own. I haven't tried correcting that , or pressing since I got yelled at, questioned several mos. ago. (thumbs u

B~

Good to know Brian, you do realize this thread is from 06 right? :kidaround:

Kenny ,

The warping is removed by allowing it to cool under pressure such as a stack of books. Now , from preventing the back from looking like a waffle , your on your own. I haven't tried correcting that , or pressing since I got yelled at, questioned several mos. ago. (thumbs u

B~

Good to know Brian, you do realize this thread is from 06 right? :kidaround:

doh! Sorry , just popped on for a moment. I WAS curious why you were asking b/c I remembered you being the resident expert on the subject. (thumbs u

Edited by bhhooks22

Well I am tired of secrets, tired on not knowing so I am taking it upon myself to figure out exactly what pressing is. I will be contacting everyone I can find who knows paper, restoration, and pressing to find out for myself what the f is actually involved.

This is my first step towards that goal.

To my credit I am what is considered a master craftsman so to speak. I am quite good at cutting glass and making leaded windows.

Pressing paper ephemera should be a breeze.

This will be an ongoing experiment. I promise to divulge everything I learn along the way. The sole purpose of which is self education, and anyone else who cares to join in... I welcome all and any feedback.

Instead of person_without_enough_empathying about pressing(which I have done in spades) I want to figure it out for myself. It aint rocket science folks, just alot of trial and error. It involves paper, and various methods of manipulation.

All due respect Matt, you are a very skilled at what you do. I will never be you. I realize you are not to be held responsible for all things evil about pressing.You just happen to be here, and showed your face,it is easy to single you out. I do not for a second take that lightly.

I really dont have the time, nor the resources to devote what is needed to dedicate myself to such a task, but what I do have is desire. A desire to understand what up to now has been a trade secret.

For todays consideration I took a comic, bent a corner and pressed it out in a matter of minutes. I took household tools and spent only a few minutes.. but what I did worked.

It involved heat.

So I guess we call this HEAT experiment #1

I took a comic, bent a corner. Took my iron, turned it on, then off. Placed some paper on either side of the cover...pressed the iron down as hard as I could, moved it around, pressed some more, then placed a heavy book on top for 1 minute. Thats it.

This was meant to be very simplistic, and it was. Any dealer can do this. Its scary.

imageanotherb4corver.jpg

imagebadcornerb4.jpg

inagegreatinside.jpgexperiment1023.jpg

experiment1024.jpg

Here is the book after 2 minutes.

imageaftercoverhandhld.jpg

imagecoverhandheldinsideafter.jpg

End result, the crease was still there, barely. And the paper was only mildly warped from the heat.

I did this in about 5 minutes. On a whim. This is of great interest to me,I have no idea if I am alone in thinking this way.

More to come

Ze-

Nice job!

(thumbs u

Kenny ,

B~

Look up the definition of substrate :baiting:

He had a reason Sean, he was trying to point out that I pressed a NCB bend on the corner of a key book in my experiment and should be raked over the coals for it. I guess.

What's funny is shortly after I made this thread Matt contacted me to see if I had interest in training under him.

Besides the general dumassery of the bump and comments, what goon would consider GS Defenders #1 a key? To avoid any potential confusion, that's a rhetorical question.

what goon would consider GS Defenders #1 a key?

:roflmao:^^

:gossip:..speaking of goons. :baiting:

What up Dice-man !

Speaking of pressing experiments...

What up, hooker? ^^

Any chance of you continuing this thread? I thought it was very informative.

What up Dice-man !

What up, hooker? ^^

Nada :gossip: My wife's been angry and mean to me all day b/c she had a dream where I had a girlfriend ! meh JEEEEEZZ!! :screwy:

What up Dice-man !

What up, hooker? ^^

Nada :gossip: My wife's been angry and mean to me all day b/c she had a dream where I had a girlfriend ! meh JEEEEEZZ!! :screwy:

Sounds like my ex wife.

Thank god her title has that prefix. ^^

I recently tried something similar to what Kenny did. I turned the iron on, set it on a low heat setting, and placed a towel on a book. It did nothing, probably because most of the heat was absorbed by the towel and didn't even get to the cover. I'll have to try Kenny's method (paper above and below) and see what happens. I have a bunch of otherwise very high grade books that have a curve to the bottom of the comic where they were stored without a board. I will, of course, experiment on some low grade krap first.

I recently tried something similar to what Kenny did. I turned the iron on, set it on a low heat setting, and placed a towel on a book. It did nothing, probably because most of the heat was absorbed by the towel and didn't even get to the cover. I'll have to try Kenny's method (paper above and below) and see what happens. I have a bunch of otherwise very high grade books that have a curve to the bottom of the comic where they were stored without a board. I will, of course, experiment on some low grade krap first.

Don't use an iron on a high grade book that you care about.

That's the one warning you're going to get. Any damage done to the book from this point forward is your own damned fault. :banana:

I'm going to try it just for my own amusement. I have a load of 90s drek that were stored badly at my mom's house for over ten years. When she found them they were pretty bent out of shape so I'll give them a whirl.

I don't want the books anymore and I wouldn't be able to give them away, so no problem there.

Definitely don’t use a towel. It is not smooth and will leave marks. Regular printer paper is fine but it can stick to the cover. Something called silicon release paper seems to be very safe and is super non-stick.

I think the temp for a iron would be light to medium and you would need some pressure. I hope that helps.

Edited by MasterCPU

Definitely don’t use a towel. It is not smooth and will leave marks. Regular printer paper is fine but it can stick to the cover. Something called silicon release paper seems to be very safe and is super non-stick.

I think the temp for a iron would be light to medium and you would need some pressure. I hope that helps.

You can buy parchment paper from the supermarket, too. (In the same aisle where you find the aluminum foil and plastic wrap.) It's essentially the same thing as the silicone release paper that conservators use.