• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing experiment #50020021
6 6

244 posts in this topic

I think you are not too overly hot Mike, depends on how your book is prepped and if your press was pre heated A sheet of Mylar is not much of a buffer if you ask me.(and as you saw it dimpled from the heat)

How long did you let it cool down under weight because the warping present on the bottom edge reminds me of some experiments I did years ago when I wanted to see what books looked like if pressed for too long, too much heat, not cooled properly etc..etc

I will see if I can find those photos.

Mike, Do you leave the books in the press to cool? Or do you take them out and allow them to cool elsewhere?

I see I forgot important details and I am sorry for the confusion. its at 185 when I put it in between mylar and 3/8" glass, press down, leave on for a few minutes then I shut off and leave in press till it cools to cold, this one sat in it overnight. What do you think

The glass that you are using on the bottom of the press is whats causing the "cockling" on the books if you are placing the release paper directly over the glass.

I want to update that I am still working on my pressing experiment and I have noticed using the Mylar the comic is smoother and shinier than with the release paper. I would however be scared to try it on a book with CT or pieces added. I will have more pics when I get a flatter result. :)

Edited by MasterCPU

OK so I thought I'd take a crack at just to see how it worked. I used an iron on a piece of drek, and I had to do it quick while the wife was out - she's horrified at the thought of me ironing comics in case I screw the iron up.

I did what Kenny said - turned the iron on and then off, let it cool and then pressed away for about 10-15 seconds and then laid my Hannibal Trilogy hardback on top of it while it cooled.

DSC00489.JPG

DSC00490.JPG

DSC00491.JPG

DSC00492.JPG

I just had to see it first hand. Plus I have a load of 90s drek that was stored at my moms for over ten years in a box with no boards. I'll never be able to sell them and have no intention of selling them, so if I can iron them to look nicer to me that would a bonus. Not a big one, but a bonus all the same.

I think you are not too overly hot Mike, depends on how your book is prepped and if your press was pre heated A sheet of Mylar is not much of a buffer if you ask me.(and as you saw it dimpled from the heat)

How long did you let it cool down under weight because the warping present on the bottom edge reminds me of some experiments I did years ago when I wanted to see what books looked like if pressed for too long, too much heat, not cooled properly etc..etc

I will see if I can find those photos.

Mike, Do you leave the books in the press to cool? Or do you take them out and allow them to cool elsewhere?

I see I forgot important details and I am sorry for the confusion. its at 185 when I put it in between mylar and 3/8" glass, press down, leave on for a few minutes then I shut off and leave in press till it cools to cold, this one sat in it overnight. What do you think

That does not look anything like a book that sat in a press overnight.

Np, the reason I asked is I noticed the longer something has been on a comic, the more work it takes to get it out. On experiment 101101501 the last book I pressed was already flat and didn’t cockle when it was done. I am beginning to think the cockling is due to the book being so messed up to begin with and I am not completely pressing all the pages right. Its slow going but I will post more pics soon.

I've got to admit I did it solely out of curiosity, but now I'm interested how a book with a crease that's been there a long time would work out. I've got plenty so I'll give it a try.

There are two books I have that have pretty severe corner impact damage. They are a couple of Locke & Key books signed by Joe Hill given to me by a good buddy. By the time they had crossed the Atlantic they had picked up the corner dings. I would love to straighten them out but I have no idea how to go about it so I'll leave those alone.

Looks nice, did you make that bend for experimenting or was it there for a while?

A fresh bend like that is the ideal condition for a pressing experiment. Next time try a book that has been stored improperly for some time and see if you get the same results.

Looks nice, did you make that bend for experimenting or was it there for a while?

A fresh bend like that is the ideal condition for a pressing experiment. Next time try a book that has been stored improperly for some time and see if you get the same results.

Will do. It's not like I don't have a shortage of candidates. I will add that I have no idea what I'm doing and it's just for fun, but it's caught my interest and if I can make some of my beaters looks a bit nicer in the process then that's good with me (thumbs u

Np, the reason I asked is I noticed the longer something has been on a comic, the more work it takes to get it out. On experiment 101101501 the last book I pressed was already flat and didn’t cockle when it was done. I am beginning to think the cockling is due to the book being so messed up to begin with and I am not completely pressing all the pages right. Its slow going but I will post more pics soon.

Experiment 101101501?? Geez man how many books have you ruined?

Pressing Experiment 101101522

Ok, so I have been working at it hard and I think I am getting close to it coming out right and need opinions on the results. 2 min at 175 degrees or so, maybe lower , glass,backboard, Mylar on outside of book and release paper inside the cover so pages wont stick. My next experiment is going to be at 1 1/2 minutes.

BTW has anyone tried silicon polyester film? Its $80 a roll and thats a little steep for me if it's not what I would want but it sounds like the best of both worlds since its smooth and has release properties.

DSC00708.jpg

DSC00709.jpg

DSC00704.jpg

DSC00711.jpg

Edited by MasterCPU

I am just curious why you took the before/after pics of the book in the bag? :( Show us the durn book!

And I would not waste your money of SCPF. SRP is more then adequate. But Talas has a sample book of all the mylars and films they carry for $6 if you want to check it out before dropping big money on it.