• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Found these two gems hidden at OAFcon in Norman, Oklahoma this weekend.  Thanks to @MrBedrock for the second set of eyes!  For anybody looking for a smaller "real comic con," this is it.  Tons of fantastic stuff in the room!  My first two Fox books! :banana: 

Fantastic.1.jpg

Wonderworld.8.jpg

Now that's a shining example of how to jumpstart a Fox collection!!!  :headbang:

The Fantastic 1 looks to be in pretty nice condition. What's your guess on the grades?

12 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Now that's a shining example of how to jumpstart a Fox collection!!!  :headbang:

The Fantastic 1 looks to be in pretty nice condition. What's your guess on the grades?

The Wonderworld cover is completely split/detached, so I'm thinking 1.8 max on that one, but likely 1.0-1.5.  The Fantastic appears to be in the Fine range, but I was told it had color touch and tear seals.  That didn't affect my decision to purchase either in the least.  I looked for the CT and can't find it.  That one may be a candidate to get sent to CCS for a resto check and possible removal.  I haven't decided yet. :eek: 

38 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

The Wonderworld cover is completely split/detached, so I'm thinking 1.8 max on that one, but likely 1.0-1.5.  The Fantastic appears to be in the Fine range, but I was told it had color touch and tear seals.  That didn't affect my decision to purchase either in the least.  I looked for the CT and can't find it.  That one may be a candidate to get sent to CCS for a resto check and possible removal.  I haven't decided yet. :eek: 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wonderworld 8 came out at a 2.0 (not that I'm any authority on the matter!). The cover colors present very well.

But whatever you decide to do with CCS/CGC, make sure to read the books first and take photos of the awesome splash pages -- and post to the boards if you're so inclined  :wink: !!  Congrats again.

Any idea what happened to this raw Church copy of Mystery Men 20 to make the Church coding almost disappear:

http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=MysteryMenComics_20_57696

The Church coding on this book seem to be quite a bit more pronounced when it was slabbed and initially sold as part of the Jon Berk auction:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=713186&title=MYSTERYMEN COMICS

Is it simply due to the brightness setting on the scanner or was the book "clean" a bit too much?  hm  (shrug)

16 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

The scanner setting was set so light that it washed out all the colors.

A lot of books on the WW site look washed out.  Sometimes it makes dirt/stains/foxing look less prominent, which I suppose may help sales. But other times it washes out the colors, which makes books look less appealing than they are.  I've bought a number of raw books from them that look much more vibrant in hand than they appeared in the scans on their site.

On 6/29/2017 at 10:27 AM, Sqeggs said:
On 6/29/2017 at 9:30 AM, lou_fine said:

And as a added bonus, it's also old label goodness which doesn't come around that often and is generally hard to beat.  :cloud9:

I'm also not a believer in "old label goodness" -- I'm in a skeptical mood today! :)

Again, it assumes that CGC graded tighter in the early years, a point I'm not convinced of.  And it assumes that somehow the current owner (or auction house listing the book) hasn't bothered to pick up the free cash on the table by regrading an obviously undergraded book.

These days I thinks it's more likely that an old label book is overgraded (explaining why it's still in an old label slab) than that it's undergraded.

One last point is that the old slabs were more subject to SCS and, of course, the more time that has gone by, the greater the chance that the book might have deteriorated in the slab due to improper storage.

On 10/22/2017 at 7:09 AM, Straw-Man said:

wow.  somebody go grab it.  i really believe that's a more than fair price.

http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=MYSTERY_MEN_COMICS_11_24724

Well, looks like we got our answer with regards to this book possibly being overgraded:  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=721161&title=MYSTERYMEN COMICS

Not only did the book get bumped up a notch to now become the single highest graded copy and even ahead of both the Allentown and Church copies, but the PQ on the book also improved after sitting in the old label slab for 17 long years.  hm   :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

Wonder how CGC missed it on this Fox rarity? I own the Cripen copy of this book sold by HA years ago. On the inside cover, there are clearly house ads for other Fox titles. Metro even got it right on the back with their sticker. But on the label CGC says 'No publisher listed'. What gives?

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=740858

Still dont have this one in hand but I am likely to be pretty busy when it arrives so I am using the HA scan to get them all posted now. Funny enough I got the run in completely descending order starting with #8, there have been plenty of #1's coming to market and I was weighing this one agains the 4.0 copy in the CC auction but this one seemed to have slightly better eye appeal from the scans.

Science 1.jpg

Number 2 has gotten really crazy with the demand lately, the colors seem a bit washed out in this scan but its a nice copy, not sure if Fox or Fiction house has the most "girls in tubes" covers but obviously a very popular theme in the 30's and 40's.

img370.jpg

Last in the short run, #8. Another yellow background with a healthy dose of red thrown in to make it stand out on the newstand. Funny to me how they used The Eagle in this series almost as a tryout before settling on the here how appeared in later Weird Comics and his own short run. When I get the #1 in hand I will do a nice group shot of all 8.

img374.jpg

41 minutes ago, buttock said:

I've said it several times, but Science 2-4 may be my favorite 3 issue stretch in the entire GA.  3 legitimately epic covers.  Congrats on completing the run!

+1

Never easy to complete one of these Fox runs and definite congrats are fully deserved when a collector has been able to achieve this task.  :applause: