• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2017 at 12:12 PM, lpsunburst said:

All righty then! I was able to complete another Fox run before the end of the year so here they come...

image.jpg

What a great accomplishment! How many years did it take you to fill this in?

On 11/19/2017 at 6:59 PM, buttock said:

I've said it several times, but Science 2-4 may be my favorite 3 issue stretch in the entire GA.  3 legitimately epic covers.  Congrats on completing the run!

On 11/19/2017 at 7:42 PM, lou_fine said:

+1

Never easy to complete one of these Fox runs and definite congrats are fully deserved when a collector has been able to achieve this task.  :applause:

+1, plus #1. 

I would add Science #1 to the short list of epic covers: 

✔️Electro, not Dynamo

✔️The spectacular color palette

✔️The lady being slowly transformed into Frankenstein’s bride: see the bolt discreetly implanted in her right neck

✔️The yellow radiation cone enveloping her dress

✔️Considerable evidence of nefarious science at work 

✔️Lou Fine capturing the milliseconds just before the ogre with red hair realizes the game is up

On 11/18/2017 at 8:26 PM, sagii said:

Wonder how CGC missed it on this Fox rarity? I own the Cripen copy of this book sold by HA years ago. On the inside cover, there are clearly house ads for other Fox titles. Metro even got it right on the back with their sticker. But on the label CGC says 'No publisher listed'. What gives?

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=740858

Odd that they wouldn't check around a little (like looking it up on GCD), but they seem to often bobble the listing of really scarce books.  You could argue that those are the books that it's most important to get correctly identified. But because they can take a little time to track down, I guess the time pressure gets the better of them. 

11 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Odd that they wouldn't check around a little (like looking it up on GCD), but they seem to often bobble the listing of really scarce books.  You could argue that those are the books that it's most important to get correctly identified. But because they can take a little time to track down, I guess the time pressure gets the better of them. 

Makes sense. But the Fox logo, tiny as it is here is evident by the Wolf's feet. They had a lot of ways to catch that slip. Our hosts still rock though! Wonder if it will hold at $1? Wouldn't mind hoarding this underwater cover :devil:

Just a friendly heads-up.

I bought the Church Mystery Men 11 in the Berk auction, only to find out the spine splits were almost twice as long in-hand as advertised. It's back up on the block, without a revised description. They took a return without a problem, and maybe this is just an oversight, but prospective bidders should know that the write-up is not accurate. 

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookSearch.php?title=mystery+men&issue=11

2 hours ago, october said:

Just a friendly heads-up.

I bought the Church Mystery Men 11 in the Berk auction, only to find out the spine splits were almost twice as long in-hand as advertised. It's back up on the block, without a revised description. They took a return without a problem, and maybe this is just an oversight, but prospective bidders should know that the write-up is not accurate. 

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookSearch.php?title=mystery+men&issue=11

:eek:

I'll admit I'm somewhat obsessed with the phantom ladies but even I find this to be quite a puzzling auction result... $3,475 for a 7.0 PL 16...

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DPhantom%2Blady%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1213891&id=1213891&itemType=0

Edited by szavisca

6 hours ago, szavisca said:

I'll admit I'm somewhat obsessed with the phantom ladies but even I find this to be quite a puzzling auction result... $3,475 for a 7.0 PL 16...

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DPlanet%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1214890&id=1214890&itemType=0

crazy stuff is happening :insane:

8 hours ago, szavisca said:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DPlanet%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1214890&id=1214890&itemType=0

Wanted to bid on it earlier in the day and then it jumped from 1850 to 3450 in a matter of moments...nice book

7 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Wanted to bid on it earlier in the day and then it jumped from 1850 to 3450 in a matter of moments...nice book

Well if you want one there's 3 raw copies that have been sitting on metro/comicconnect unsold for 2 years.  They're in the 4.0-5.0 range but relative bargains at this point.  

Granted I know some people want them a bit nicer(I do when I can afford it)  but the relative availability of 16 is part of why this auction result puzzles me.

4 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Well if you want one there's 3 raw copies that have been sitting on metro/comicconnect unsold for 2 years.  They're in the 4.0-5.0 range but relative bargains at this point.  

Granted I know some people want them a bit nicer(I do when I can afford it)  but the relative availability of 16 is part of why this auction result puzzles me.

Yes

I'm certainly not one to question any collector's motives for buying what they like. It seems like an outlier given the availability of the book even privately.

4 hours ago, szavisca said:

Yes that was a surprising result. I’m not sure what’s happening but it feels like everything is escalating very quickly. I was interested in purchasing that book at 2000 or less and was surprised to see a jump so high.