• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,172 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2018 at 11:23 AM, sacentaur said:
On 3/8/2018 at 6:03 AM, lpsunburst said:

I was in on the MM 7 too Gino but also got beat out at the last minute, I think it went for the right money in the end considering the PQ.

Mystery Men 7 is one of "those" books, I just love it.

BTW, just noticed that there's a CGC 4.0 PLOD in the current Hakes auction.

Definitely one of the toughest of the early Mystery Men books to track down, especially in half decent grade.  :luhv:

For example, even Berk's Church copy of this book manged to grade out at only a CGC 8.0 grade and that's still the highest graded copy to date after almost 20 years of certified grading. 

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely one of the toughest of the early Mystery Men books to track down, especially in half decent grade.  :luhv:

For example, even Berk's Church copy of this book manged to grade out at only a CGC 8.0 grade and that's still the highest graded copy to date after almost 20 years of certified grading. 

So true - I have the Larson copy of Mystery Men 7, and while it is bright and beautiful it also has a coupon clipped out of the back cover. 

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I picked up the Berk Church copy.  There's a small tear on the back cover hence the 8.0.   The front looks very high grade like other Church copies.  Perhaps it's one of those books that was damaged after it left the Church residence somewhere in the transport and handling over the years, I have no idea.

13 hours ago, sacentaur said:
18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So true - I have the Larson copy of Mystery Men 7, and while it is bright and beautiful it also has a coupon clipped out of the back cover. 

Well, if it's got a clipped coupon it's definitely safer to keep it out of the hands of CGC because they apparently apply the sledge hammer to this particular defect, as it's probably one of their no-no's.  Don't really understand the purpose of the GLOD in this particular case then since they already include this defect on their label notes and apparently downgrade significantly for it already. 

I am starting to think the GLOD label would probably be more appropriate for early SA Marvels with Marvel chipping where they don't really take the defect into full account when grading, and yet at the same time, don't include the defect as part of their label notes while encasing it within a blue unrestored slab.  Would certainly facilitate a more fully informed transaction between buyer and seller that this particular significant visual defect had not been FULLY taken into account for grading purposes.  hm

Knowing your books and how you collect, I am 100% sure that the MM 7 with the clipped coupon must be an absolute beauty of a book with full gloss and color as virtually all of the other books in your collection.  :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

i was crushed when my high-census book was crushed by jon's mile high.

mmen7.jpg

You're right, BP, it's garbage now.  Send it my way and I will dispose of it so you have to look at that hideous thing any longer!  

4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

i was crushed when my high-census book was crushed by jon's mile high.

mmen7.jpg

Well, it looks like it is still the 2nd highest graded copy of the census population report after almost 2 whole decades of grading.

So, it looks like you are probably still good to go unless sacentuar decides to get his Larson copy graded.  Not sure how far down CGC will knock it down for the clipped coupon, but it might still have an outside chance of giving Berk's former Church copy a run for its money.  Especially considering how meticulous he always is when it comes to selecting books for his own personal collection.  hm  :cloud9:

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, it looks like you are probably still good to go unless sacentuar decides to get his Larson copy graded.  Not sure how far down CGC will knock it down for the clipped coupon, but it might still have an outside chance of giving Berk's former Church copy a run for its money.  Especially considering how meticulous he always is when it comes to selecting books for his own personal collection.  hm  :cloud9:

No plans to slab the Larson Mystery Men 7, keeping it raw - one of the most eye-popping colors in any book I own, the front cover looks fantastic in a mylar. :cloud9:

7 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

No plans to slab the Larson Mystery Men 7, keeping it raw - one of the most eye-popping colors in any book I own, the front cover looks fantastic in a mylar. :cloud9:

Having seen scans of some of your books, I can just imagine the colors must be dripping right off the cover, as though it was fresh off the printing press.  :cloud9:  :cloud9:

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Having seen scans of some of your books, I can just imagine the colors must be dripping right off the cover, as though it was fresh off the printing press.  :cloud9:  :cloud9:

I'd show a picture, but Photosuckit is not worth the aggravation. 

24 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Having had the great privilege of seeing a lot of Steve’s great books in person I can tell you the rest of the world seems black and white. :foryou: 

47 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I'd show a picture, but Photosuckit is not worth the aggravation. 

Imgur ain't so bad (for now at least). You can download your photos on Photo- -ucket onto your computer and then upload them to Imgur. Easy peasy.

20 minutes ago, sacentaur said:
36 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

this'un is also hard in any kind of grade

mmen8.jpg

Sure is a toughie - that's a really nice looking 3.5 (mine is a de-slabbed 6.5 and yours looks just as good!)

Yes indeed, the CGC Census Report indicates that besides Berk's former Church copy graded out at a NM 94, the next highest graded copy is only a CGC VF- 7.5 copy.  Doesn't appear to be quite as tough as the MM 7, but looks like another that's tough to find in grade.   :luhv:

I guess you didn't bother with the Larson copy of MM8 because the Larson List indicates a light stain on the back cover and another one on the front cover at the spine.  This would probably detract from the usual eye-popping colors that seems to be a signature of books in your collection.

18 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I guess you didn't bother with the Larson copy of MM8 because the Larson List indicates a light stain on the back cover and another one on the front cover at the spine. 

Actually, I would take that book in a heartbeat but I've never seen it and have no idea where it is.

19 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Imgur ain't so bad (for now at least). You can download your photos on Photo- -ucket onto your computer and then upload them to Imgur. Easy peasy.

The one time I tried Imgur it crashed and was unavailable, so I'm still limping along with PB.