• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Any opinions as to whether this copy of Wonderworld 7 on CC tonight:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=758840

will be able to beat the price it sold for at Heritage last August:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/wonderworld-comics-7-fox-1939-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7166-91162.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

My thinking is that it'll be very close, but probably just a tad shy by the time it's all said and done.  hm  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

10 minutes ago, comicjack said:

I think it will crack the last sale by a slight amount but who can tell with those crazy last minute bids !

Which then makes me wonder why the Heritage buyer would sell it almost right away after just acquiring it a few short months ago.  hm

It's not like he's going to be making a ton of money on, probably breakeven or possibly even a slight loss at the best.  (shrug)

30 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Sometimes heat of the moment causes one to go over board on bidding.I myself would not put that baby up so soon but that is just me. :smile:

I was thinking with that large dating written right on the front cover, the actual book might not look quite as appealing in hand as it does from the scan.  (shrug)

But still, those bright colors really seem to pop right off from the cover page.  :luhv:

1 hour ago, Junkdrawer said:

I’d take it for where it’s at 

I'll take the Wonderworld 11 for where it's at right now...........oh, I already got my copy for pretty much the same price 20+ years ago.  doh!  :censored:

I guess that was back in the day when WW 11 was the second most valuable issue in the entire run after WW 3 since it featured the origin of the Flame.  Definitely not the case anymore as every other earlier issue in the run has now passed it in terms of valuation according to the OS guide.  With the Gerber Photo-Journal and now with books being encased in slabs, the rise of the classic covers over actual story content is quite apparent.  Also clearly evident with the pre-Robin 'Tec run when 'Tec 33 with the origin of Batman used to also be the second most valuable book in the entire run after 'Tec 27, although it would seem that 'Tec 33 is showing a surge of interest recently.

Will be interesting to see if this non-classic cover book is even able to hit condition guide price.  Hopefully it does, considering that the only higher graded copy was Berk's Mile High which went for $19K, so I guess we'll see if this copy here is able to get past its current $800+ bid price.  Especially when it appears to have been graded quite tightly relative to its assigned grade and the right buyer will most likely be able to "squeeze"  lol  a lot of love out of the book and run it for a double or possibly even a triple from its current bid price.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

even green, the 11 will do some real movin' tonite.

I am certainly hoping so, otherwise I'm going to be looking pretty stupid  :facepalm: for paying the same price for a book 20+ years ago that has gone absolutely nowhere in terms of market valuation.  :wishluck:

Of course, that was way back in the mid-90's when Fox books were red hot for a short while there and even dealers were paying multiples of guide for them.  Interesting to see how interest in comic books cycles around in various phases if you hold onto something long enough.  hm

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I'll take the Wonderworld 11 for where it's at right now.............oh, I already got my copy for pretty much the same price 20+ years ago.  doh!  :mad:

I guess that was back in the day when WW 11 was the second most valuable issue in the entire run after WW 3 since it featured the origin of the Flame.  Definitely not the case anymore as every other earlier issue in the run has now passed it in terms of valuation according to the OS guide.  With the Gerber Photo-Journal and now with books being encased in slabs, the rise of the classic covers over actual story content is quite apparent.  Also clearly evident with the pre-Robin 'Tec run when 'Tec 33 with the origin of Batman used to also be the second most valuable book in the entire run after 'Tec 27, although it would seem that 'Tec 33 is showing a surge of interest recently.

I fail to see the panic with respect to WW 11 as it's a great Fox book.  Besides having a Lou Fine drawn origin story for the Flame, it sports one of Lou's more impressive covers.  The color palette is a little darker than usual and so may not be as showy in the small picture in the Gerber guide or in an online scan but, in person, it's very appealing. 

It will never be as hot as WW7 (because zombies!) but the market will usually find an appropriate position for it eventually.  It wasn't that long ago that WW7 went for less than Mystery Men 1 - 10.  I don't think that's going to happen again any time soon.

The auction copy you have been pumping up has a coupon cut out and the owner went with a qualified grade rather than accept that it's really a lot lower grade according to conventional standards.  While it may very well sell for more than what it is at right now, such books do not usually go for anywhere near the price of a standard blue label 8.0.

5 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Wonderworld11.jpg

Wow, thanks for reminding me........I really love the purple colours on this cover as it's a color that's not often used on comic book covers.  :cloud9:

Gotta go dig out my copy, but yours is definitely a real superb copy and a true keeper.  (thumbsu

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

but yours is definitely a real superb copy and a true keeper. 

How do you know it's not my undercopy. :baiting:

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/wonderworld-comics-7-fox-1939-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7166-91162.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

My thinking is that it'll be very close, but probably just a tad shy by the time it's all said and done.  hm  :taptaptap:

21 hours ago, comicjack said:

I think it will crack the last sale by a slight amount but who can tell with those crazy last minute bids !

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Which then makes me wonder why the Heritage buyer would sell it almost right away after just acquiring it a few short months ago.  hm

It's not like he's going to be making a ton of money on, probably breakeven or possibly even a slight loss at the best.  (shrug)

$16,730   ?   $22,554

I think you guys need a new set of tarot cards, or a new crystal ball polish!  ;)

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

$16,730   ?   $22,554

I think you guys need a new set of tarot cards, or a new crystal ball polish!  ;)

Selling is like a horse race you either win or lose,but i know you are happy to have one. ^^

17 hours ago, adamstrange said:
20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

but yours is definitely a real superb copy and a true keeper. 

How do you know it's not my undercopy. :baiting:

Why, you naughty hoarder, you!  (tsk)

Is that why there hasn't been a decent copy of Wonderworld 11 that's hit the marketplace in well over a decade now, because you've been snapping them up before they ever get there?  lol

The only one that I can remember is a raw VG+ copy that sold on eBay for almost $3K a couple of summers ago.  Somebody must have really wanted that copy to be paying that kind of money for a raw relatively lower grade copy.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

23 hours ago, lou_fine said:

23 hours ago, comicjack said:

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

$16,730   ?   $22,554

Well, I guess I definitely do as this was indeed a bit of a shocker to me.

Save for the pre-Robin 'Tec books where Metro seems to "control" the market, I always thought Heritage tends to produce bigger gross results for their consignors.  Much more of a wash though once you deduct for the substantially higher fees that Heritage normally charges their consignors.

It would appear that Metro or CC still have some bigger and dedicated clients that don't necessarily pay close attention to all of the various auctions that are taking place throughout the year.  Some of the bigger clientele needs to have an auction listing pointed out to them if a particular book hits the marketplace that fits right into their wheelhouse.  Needless to say, Metro definitely has a huge rolodex and knows how to point certain clients to the "right" books when they do become available in their auctions.  (thumbsu