• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

Jack is correct, in the sense that the cover has tremendous appeal.

But I love the stories, for their wacky GA formula where there was no formula.

Here is a way to read the stories without having to unslab your copy:  http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=36583

How can you go wrong with pages like this? -->

1544265143_ScreenShot2018-08-28at9_17_05AM.thumb.png.c99c86c2db398f8fa0935c0b58d6220b.png

I love the interiors on early Fox books.  There was really no formula and you can see they we're just testing the waters to see what would work.  

1 hour ago, buttock said:

I love the interiors on early Fox books.  There was really no formula and you can see they we're just testing the waters to see what would work.  

Especially after Victor Fox learned in no uncertain terms that the Wonder Man formula wasn't going to work! 

On 8/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:
On 8/27/2018 at 6:52 AM, lpsunburst said:

I don't know what kind of person would pay so much for a really nice looking copy of a book that seems to virtually never come up to market (shrug)B|

I have become much more comfortable with restored books when it comes to the books that are just never available. Having a great looking 8.0 Larson Science 2 with some ct and a Mystery Men 10 7.5 with some work done I am perfectly happy. If Berk can enjoy those kinds of books I think I can. I had a pretty nice copy of this book before that I parted company with for 20k so getting this one for $4500 felt kinda cheap.

Wow, it looks like you are really hitting it out of the ball park this week with not only this restored copy of Mystery Men 10, but also this absolutely gorgeous copy of Blue Beetle 52 that just ended in CL's auction today:  :luhv:

RAD3B71A2018625_115124.jpg

Love your taste and congrats on your 2 pick-ups as you've definitely got the sharp eagle eye for the great classic covers.  (thumbsu

In terms of the Mystery Men 10, what was the grade and pedigree, if any, since it sounded as though you got a very strong price on the book at $20K?  Especially considering that Richard only had to pay something like $22,500 for the Jon Berk Church copy of MM10 which was and still is the highest graded copy at CGC 9.4.  hm

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, Zolnerowich said:

I posted this as a Cigar a few weeks ago, but this thread is the rightful home for slaying iron monsters.

Fantastic_3.thumb.jpg.fbe8192f687b32a561778112b90e6a1e.jpg

My personal favorite cover of the Golden Age. (worship)  Wonderworld # 7 ranks up there also.

6 hours ago, PUNYHUMAN said:

My personal favorite cover of the Golden Age. (worship)  Wonderworld # 7 ranks up there also.

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

my #1, too.

Agreed. Wonderworld #7 holds a special place for me, but I could stare at the spectacular detail and line work on Fantastic #3 until the cows come home! Just astounding. No wonder that Eisner complained that Lou Fine always took too long to deliver the goods. But what goods they were! :angel:

On 10/17/2018 at 11:02 PM, Zolnerowich said:

I posted this as a Cigar a few weeks ago, but this thread is the rightful home for slaying iron monsters.

Fantastic_3.thumb.jpg.fbe8192f687b32a561778112b90e6a1e.jpg

I kept telling them we needed to send the solid state robots to take on Samson.  But, no, they had to go all cheap and send these relics! 

7 hours ago, atomised said:

any boardie here pick up that resto 5.0 Mystery Men Comics #7 in the HA sale tonight?  I was outbid by a fair amount, didn't think the price would get that high.

i much enjoyed watching it go!

On 8/27/2018 at 3:37 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I don't know what kind of person would pay so much for a really nice looking copy of a book that seems to virtually never come up to market (shrug)B|

I have become much more comfortable with restored books when it comes to the books that are just never available. Having a great looking 8.0 Larson Science 2 with some ct and a Mystery Men 10 7.5 with some work done I am perfectly happy. If Berk can enjoy those kinds of books I think I can. I had a pretty nice copy of this book before that I parted company with for 20k so getting this one for $4500 felt kinda cheap.

I simply love the fact that most people treat resto books like the plague.  Especially when it's just color touch, or a little glue.  You're telling me because some company (which clearly never makes mistakes) puts a different color label on something, it's worth a fraction of the same book that looks way worse?  I hope that mentality continues.

10 hours ago, atomised said:

any boardie here pick up that resto 5.0 Mystery Men Comics #7 in the HA sale tonight?  I was outbid by a fair amount, didn't think the price would get that high.

:banana: one of the few that I am missing for the run and the resto didnt bother me on that one.