• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Dang, this thread was getting sucked into the vortex of lost comics books, back on page 6 of the GA forum.

Here's a double post (from the Cigar thread) of a tasty morsel I recently received.

Wonderworld_3.thumb.jpg.2b57fc406f06ddd638b09b60d8046fb3.jpg

Well, all I can say is that you certainly can't go wrong with an early key Fox book and a first appearance at that.  :luhv: :applause:

On 3/15/2019 at 4:17 PM, Robot Man said:

New Foxy lady just hit my mailbox. Don’t know the artist but has a nice Bakerish style to it.

0C8D5EB0-7998-49F4-916E-74710F4B856B.jpeg

I always liked this cover.  Here's some info on the cover artist and contents:

Spectacular Features Magazine Samson and Delilah #11 [1]

Cover by Lee Ames. Bible stories in comics form from Fox Feature. Numbering continues from My Confessions (1949) #10. Biblical hero Samson is a champion during a time of war, but he is betrayed by his love for Delilah, who knows his secret weakness: His hair cannot be cut. Likely inspired by the Hollywood film of the previous year; no connection to the superhero named Samson that appeared from the same publisher a decade previously. Also featuring a text story based on Daniel in the Lion's Den. Samson And Delilah; Daniel And The Lions. Followed by Spectacular Features Magazine (1950) #12. 32 pages, Full Color. Cover price $0.10.

15 hours ago, davet75 said:

I always liked this cover.  Here's some info on the cover artist and contents:

Spectacular Features Magazine Samson and Delilah #11 [1]

Cover by Lee Ames. Bible stories in comics form from Fox Feature. Numbering continues from My Confessions (1949) #10. Biblical hero Samson is a champion during a time of war, but he is betrayed by his love for Delilah, who knows his secret weakness: His hair cannot be cut. Likely inspired by the Hollywood film of the previous year; no connection to the superhero named Samson that appeared from the same publisher a decade previously. Also featuring a text story based on Daniel in the Lion's Den. Samson And Delilah; Daniel And The Lions. Followed by Spectacular Features Magazine (1950) #12. 32 pages, Full Color. Cover price $0.10.

I’m sorry, this is not my side of the street, but did I understand correctly that this book went from “My Confessions” to Bible stories?

On 6/2/2019 at 4:56 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’m sorry, this is not my side of the street, but did I understand correctly that this book went from “My Confessions” to Bible stories?

Yes, sort of.  The Bible story of Samson and Delilah was a one and done.  The next (and last) issue in the Spectacular Features Magazine series was Iwo Jima. image.png

Go figure how that creative room conversation went.  I'm guessing something like this:

Fox: "sales of My Confessions are tanking and we're in trouble.  Fix it!"

Editor: "well, we've been doing GGA romance/sleeze for a while, maybe we change the title to something "Spectacular" and do something completely different, like a story from the Bible... but keep the GGA and some sleeze... yeah, that's the ticket!"

(sales tank further)

Editor: "Well, that didn't work.  Let's try something even more completely different... like a war story!  those were tops 5 years ago, and I bet people are hankering for a swell war story even though every comic publisher continuously pumped those out for years during the war!"

(sales tank even further)

Fox: "You're F#@%ing fired"

Editor: :tonofbricks:

(Fox declares bankruptcy shortly after. )

Fox did some weird transitions in their titles.  Mostly Humor and Superheroes in the early to mid 40's, then GGA jungle and romance sleeze from mid to late 40's, then GGA and Crime sleeze (mostly sans romance) from late 40's until bankruptcy in 1950-51.  There's much more nuanced detail on the history of Fox comics / syndicate (in the early pages of this thread), but that's my understanding in a nutshell.

All Tops comics started as funny animals before abruptly transitioning to GGA featuring Rulah, and then finally changing to My Experience GGA romance /sleeze stories

Also hilariously, the numbering sequence for the Fox series  All Great Comics goes no. 1, no. 14, no. 13.

It's the quirkiness (and sleeze, of course) that make Fox comics so endearing.

Edited by davet75

45 minutes ago, davet75 said:

Editor: "Well, that didn't work.  Let's try something even more completely different... like a war story!  those were tops 5 years ago, and I bet people are hankering for a swell war story even though every comic publisher continuously pumped those out for years during the war!"

(sales tank even further)

Fox: "You're F#@%ing fired

Davet75, you are hilarious. Thanks for this!

8 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

Yep. Glad it landed where it did. At the end of the Berk auction, I was holding the "highest graded" copy of this book (6.5). Now it's third highest graded. :eek: 

But at least the hammer price on the 7.0 helped sustain the value of my "mid-grade" copy.