• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,174 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2019 at 2:51 AM, fifties said:

Only Fox Comics would express the term, prostitution, in word balloons, twice, and show the whores.

Spectacular Features Mag 3.jpg

Spectacular Features Mag 3 Int.jpg

Good lord, that artwork and lettering is unbelievably bad. No wonder Fox went under. 

Edited by Sarg

3 hours ago, Sarg said:

Good lord, that artwork and lettering is unbelievably bad. No wonder Fox went under. 

Oh I dunno, Fox had a lot of titles out, and the artwork -at least in my eyes- seems on par with most of what was out there at the time by the smaller publishers (Aside from EC).

Wow, just took a quick look at some of the GA books due to close in the Heritage Auction tomorrow and the market still appears to be on fire for most of the books.

Not sure what's happening with some of these Wonderworld books though:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Wonderworld Comics #4 (Fox, 1939) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white to white pages....

While many books are already running at huge multiples to condition guide, it looks like this one here is still running at less than half of condition guide.  :whatthe:

It would appear that the CGC 6.0 graded copy of Wonderworld 5 is doing slightly better, but not by much as it also still continues to run at a discount to condition guide.  hm

45 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

so Victor Fox had to ask his 5th grade daughter to step in and provide the art for the covers.

I heard she had a pet monkey.  Now we know it's true. :kidaround:

Outside my visit to Berk's place I've never seen those particular issues.  Really, really tough books.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:47 AM, lou_fine said:

Wow, just took a quick look at some of the GA books due to close in the Heritage Auction tomorrow and the market still appears to be on fire for most of the books.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Wonderworld Comics #4 (Fox, 1939) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white to white pages....

While many books are already running at huge multiples to condition guide, it looks like this one here is still running at less than half of condition guide.  :whatthe:

It would appear that the CGC 6.0 graded copy of Wonderworld 5 is doing slightly better, but not by much as it also still continues to run at a discount to condition guide.  hm

This is one of my favorite covers, I have a 4.5 and I would have loved to upgrade, but I was not sure if that was resto removal, or just grading I couldn't accept in a 6.5.  That's happening a bit lately, things are inconsistent. I just got back a book with a detached cover that was graded 4.0, which is way more than I expect with a detached cover. Of course the cover was attached when I sent it in and I expected it to be at least a 6.5, so that might have had something to do with it. hm

I'm just getting lost sometimes looking at books with grades that seem so different to me...so I'm trying to remember to buy the book, not the grade, I'm guessing I was not the only one.

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Outside my visit to Berk's place I've never seen those particular issues.  Really, really tough books.

I had never seen them either.  We are very fortunate that Mr. Crippen, like Mr. Church, seemed to buy practically every book he could.  The near completeness of their collections is such a boon to the hobby.

On 12/14/2019 at 10:36 PM, adamstrange said:

I've not seen any 2.5's, but 2.1 comes up pretty regularly on eBay. I think I've sold two copies over that last few years...and they go cheap. A midgrade might run $100-200.

On 12/14/2019 at 9:55 PM, skypinkblu said:
On 11/20/2019 at 10:47 PM, lou_fine said:

This is one of my favorite covers, I have a 4.5 and I would have loved to upgrade, but I was not sure if that was resto removal, or just grading I couldn't accept in a 6.5.  That's happening a bit lately, things are inconsistent.

Well, it looks like I was a bit premature in terms of the auction results for these Wonderworld books as WW 4 finished up at about a 20% premium to condition guide, while the WW 4 finished up at multiples to condition guide.  Guess we really do need to wait until the fat lady sings when it comes to some of these auction results.  (thumbsu

As for your comment on the apparent inconsistency in grading, I would tend to agree with you and from many of the scans which I have seen recently, this would appear to a case of the grading pendulum swinging back to the soft side of center.  Especially relative to where it was a couple of years ago, where it seem to be firmly ensconced on the other side of the center line.  hm  (shrug)

On 12/14/2019 at 9:55 PM, skypinkblu said:

I just got back a book with a detached cover that was graded 4.0, which is way more than I expect with a detached cover. Of course the cover was attached when I sent it in and I expected it to be at least a 6.5, so that might have had something to do with it. hm

Not sure I understand your statement here.  ???

Are you saying that you sent in a book with an attached cover, but it most probably got damaged while in CGC's possession and as a result, came back as a slabbed book with a detached cover?  If this is indeed the case, then  :mad:  :censored: !!!

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like I was a bit premature in terms of the auction results for these Wonderworld books as WW 4 finished up at about a 20% premium to condition guide, while the WW 4 finished up at multiples to condition guide.  Guess we really do need to wait until the fat lady sings when it comes to some of these auction results.  (thumbsu

As for your comment on the apparent inconsistency in grading, I would tend to agree with you and from many of the scans which I have seen recently, this would appear to a case of the grading pendulum swinging back to the soft side of center.  Especially relative to where it was a couple of years ago, where it seem to be firmly ensconced on the other side of the center line.  hm  (shrug)

Not sure I understand your statement here.  ???

Are you saying that you sent in a book with an attached cover, but it most probably got damaged while in CGC's possession and as a result, came back as a slabbed book with a detached cover?  If this is indeed the case, then  :mad:  :censored: !!!

Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. I sent in a Sensation 29 that appeared to be in 6.5 or better, it came back a 4.0 with a detached cover.

7 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. I sent in a Sensation 29 that appeared to be in 6.5 or better, it came back a 4.0 with a detached cover.

You really should contact CGC about this. It would of course help if you had a pre-slab photo of the spine...

24 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

15 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

You really should contact CGC about this. It would of course help if you had a pre-slab photo of the spine...

Yikes, sad to hear that this happened to you.  :frown:

Like Zolly had mentioned to you in his post up above, it's always a good idea to take pictures of your book or slab before sending it out to anybody, whether it be to a grading company, auction house, buyer, etc.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

I have pictures, but not of the spine, that would have been a brilliant idea. I scan everything front and back, alas, I never considered spine pictures.