• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

I love me some pedigrees.

I love me some thru-7/40 fox books.

but, I REALLY love me pedigreed early fox books!!!!!!!!!! thanks, boardie!

wworld5.jpg

:o

I, know, right? what reprobate would let that thing go?

Next time I see you please tell me who it is so I can go kick his .

wwallentown.jpg

Well, that's another one of those really HTF Allentown pedigree books that rarely ever comes to market.

I remember seeing both this one and its companion, the Allentown Wonderworld 13 at a Seattle convention back in the latter part of the 90's. Too bad Harley was able to convince me to pick up only one of them instead of both of them at the time, as I finally decided on the WW 13 at something like 1.75X guide or thereabouts.

Probably would have picked up both of them except that I am El Cheapo and never like paying over guide for anything, let alone almost double in this case. But it was an Allentown pedigree though. Also doesn't really help when I generally go to a con without much money in order to hopefully avoid wasting money on comics. Keeps my wife happy though. Strategy doesn't really work actually since big convention dealers, like Harley in this particular case, will almost always without exception try to convince you to take the book home anyways and simply pay them back afterwards.

The Allentown WW 13 worked out for me in the end since I decided to include it as part of my first and so far only sample testing of CGC's then new grading system a few years later. The book ended up being slabbed as a CGC 9.6 and managed to fetch an astounding (to me at least) almost 7X top of guide in the Greg Manning auction that year. :whee:

The book would probably pass this same dollar value 15 years later in this current hot market environment, but probably not by much. (shrug)

I had Harley send that book out to me only to return it when it was clear it wasn't by Lou Fine. Besides who wanted to pay double guide for a Joe Simon :insane: