• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,169 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, adamstrange said:

36 copies of Green Mask 1 on the CGC Census. inc 27 unrestored.

Green Mask 9 is slightly less common.

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Green+Mask&publisher=Fox+Features+Synd.&issue=9&year=1942&issuedate=2%2F42

I also believe that the higher perceived value for Green Mask 1 encourages more of the collectors to slab this issue as opposed to the much lower valued later issues.  hm

I guess the price for the Church copy of Green Mask #1  #8 would have probably sold for even more than this copy since it is both an earlier issue and also has one less unrestored copy on the census as compared to Green Mask 9.  :wink:

Edited by lou_fine

9 hours ago, adamstrange said:
10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

also has one less unrestored copy on the census as compared to Green Mask 9

I'm not sure what sort of math you are using. ???

Well, since the Green Mask #9 has only 1 unrestored copy on the census, and the Green Mask #8 has zero unrestored copies on the census, then this means it has one less unrestored copy as compared to the Green Mask 8:  :gossip:

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Green+Mask&publisher=Fox+Features+Synd.&issue=8&year=1941&issuedate=12%2F41

Although it is indeed the Highest Graded copy as correctly noted in CC's auction description, I see they did not also note that it is also the Lowest Graded copy at the same time.  hm  lol

4 hours ago, october said:

The Green Mask 9.2 Church at $8000 was significantly less surprising to me than the Green Mask 8 4.0 (r) at $2000. 

I guess it sold for that big price because this copy is the Only Graded copy (either unrestored or restored) as correctly noted by CC in their auction description.  With these high prices, I guess we will find out in short time hopefully  :taptaptap:  whether these books are truly rare or if most collectors just didn't both to send them in for slabbing due to their possible low demand and expected low dollar valuations.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since the Green Mask #9 has only 1 unrestored copy on the census, and the Green Mask #8 has zero unrestored copies on the census, then this means it has one less unrestored copy as compared to the Green Mask 1:

Your original post specifically referred to Green Mask #1 and made no mention of Green Mask 8 so perhaps you mis-typed?

1 minute ago, adamstrange said:

Your original post specifically referred to Green Mask #1 and made no mention of Green Mask 8 so perhaps you mis-typed?

You are right on the ball here.  (thumbsu

Yes indeed, as I did mis-typed and really meant Green Mask 8.  My bad and now corrected.  :facepalm:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since the Green Mask #9 has only 1 unrestored copy on the census, and the Green Mask #8 has zero unrestored copies on the census, then this means it has one less unrestored copy as compared to the Green Mask 8:  :gossip:

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Green+Mask&publisher=Fox+Features+Synd.&issue=8&year=1941&issuedate=12%2F41

Although it is indeed the Highest Graded copy as correctly noted in CC's auction description, I see they did not also note that it is also the Lowest Graded copy at the same time.  hm  lol

I guess it sold for that big price because this copy is the Only Graded copy (either unrestored or restored) as correctly noted by CC in their auction description.  With these high prices, I guess we will find out in short time hopefully  :taptaptap:  whether these books are truly rare or if most collectors just didn't both to send them in for slabbing due to their possible low demand and expected low dollar valuations.  hm  (shrug)

I will say this if someone doesn't want their Green Mask #9 :takeit: 

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Don't underestimate the appeal of the yellow menace hatchet man cover. Most of the GM issues have fairly dull covers compared to contemporary Fox books, and I've noticed they tend not to sell for all that much in lower grade. This issue has a great cover and is scarce to boot - the kind of combination that can drive seemingly random Fox books into 4 figures even in lower grades. 

On 6/14/2017 at 11:57 PM, sagii said:

Me too (but almost midnight, then we get a new days batch of likes ):banana:

Hi Guys-  There were a diverse spectrum of booksl offered.  Were there books that were not on your radar that you gave a hard second look at that you purchased or would consider purchasing, giving it a hard "second look" for purchasing like The Romances of Nurse Helen Grant (kidding) or Whirlwind Comics #2? Our Flag 5?

You can spread it to platinum and other less visible comicbooks .  Surely you have such a book waiting to become YOURS! Or, missed being YOURS!  Inquring minds want to know?    

Alan?

Richard?

Steve?

jbcomicbox

Thanks for all the nice comments and support......

39 minutes ago, jbcomicbox said:

Hi Guys-  There were a diverse spectrum of booksl offered.  Were there books that were not on your radar that you gave a hard second look at that you purchased or would consider purchasing, giving it a hard "second look" for purchasing like The Romances of Nurse Helen Grant (kidding) or Whirlwind Comics #2? Our Flag 5?

You can spread it to platinum and other less visible comicbooks .  Surely you have such a book waiting to become YOURS! Or, missed being YOURS!  Inquring minds want to know?    

Alan?

Richard?

Steve?

jbcomicbox

Thanks for all the nice comments and support......

JB!!

Hey brother as someone who is a HUGE fan of your eclectic tastes that has now rubbed off on me you know the Our Flag 5 is cherished and I am so blessed to have a copy. My question to you is did you keep your copy? I heard you kept a handful of books and am dying to know what books they were brother!! Any chance a little guy like me in this great hobby gets a list if what couldn't be parted with at the moment. Btw i am finally getting a catalog and am super psyched to page through it MANY TIMES!! 

8 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

I expect it will do a fair sight better than the $12,650 it got last time, the consignor is in for a nice payday.

I'm going to guess about $55K

34 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:
4 hours ago, TheWatcher said:

Let the sales threads begin (again)...

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=732552

I expect it will do a fair sight better than the $12,650 it got last time, the consignor is in for a nice payday.

This one must have been a last minute addition just before their consignment deadline of noon today, since there were no Fantastic Comics books listed at all for this upcoming auction as of last night.  hm

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

This one must have been a last minute addition just before their consignment deadline of noon today, since there were no Fantastic Comics books listed at all for this upcoming auction as of last night.  hm

They notified me that they had it a couple weeks ago and it was there if you did a search for it but the images were only added a couple days ago.

3 hours ago, lpsunburst said:
13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

They notified me that they had it a couple weeks ago and it was there if you did a search for it but the images were only added a couple days ago.

I guess you must be one of their high rollers that they contact with respect to their bigger books!  :baiting:  lol

Actually, this is a good sign for collectors who consign their books to CC, since it indicates that they are proactive in terms of contacting potential customers that might be interested in bidding on certain books which they might otherwise not notice.  (thumbsu

Was this the only book they contacted you on or were their some other juicy little tidbits in there since most of us, especially me, are probably way too lazy to plow through almost 1,600 listings to see if there is anything of interest there?  hm

No High Roller here, just a couple big back to back purchases with them, it will likely be pretty quiet from me for the rest of the year. That was the only book I was notified about, I suppose I will have to dig through the rest to see what else I cant afford.

21 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

JB!!

Hey brother as someone who is a HUGE fan of your eclectic tastes that has now rubbed off on me you know the Our Flag 5 is cherished and I am so blessed to have a copy. My question to you is did you keep your copy? I heard you kept a handful of books and am dying to know what books they were brother!! Any chance a little guy like me in this great hobby gets a list if what couldn't be parted with at the moment. Btw i am finally getting a catalog and am super psyched to page through it MANY TIMES!! 

I did keep the Our Flag 5 of mine for nostalgia. I did not keep many others, and will let you know once I get things straightened out.  (As I affirmed earlier, I had long standing plans to keep Mystery Men 3 (the "Larson copy".)  It was and is my favorite GA book. (Keeping the Larson did not break any of the Church Runs).  jb

On 6/24/2017 at 7:32 PM, jbcomicbox said:

I did keep the Our Flag 5 of mine for nostalgia. I did not keep many others, and will let you know once I get things straightened out.  (As I affirmed earlier, I had long standing plans to keep Mystery Men 3 (the "Larson copy".)  It was and is my favorite GA book. (Keeping the Larson did not break any of the Church Runs).  jb

That's AWESOME thanks JB!! I love that you kept that one it makes me appreciate the book even more now if that were possible ??