• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I bowed out at $1300. Wasn't even close!!! ?

I'm pretty much waiting for The Early Fox books (basically anything Fine or Simon) to cool off before I dip my toes in these waters again. 

Back to All Tops and Phantom Ladies....

8 hours ago, piper said:

I'm pretty much waiting for The Early Fox books (basically anything Fine or Simon) to cool off before I dip my toes in these waters again. 

Back to All Tops and Phantom Ladies....

Yeah, those super available cheap Phantom Ladies :wishluck: 

I guess compared to early Fox. 

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

11 hours ago, sacentaur said:
18 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

Interesting Mystery Men 7 on HA last night GD detached cover $3000+...

Tough book-

+1

Both this issue and MM 11 are definitely tough to find in grade as confirmed by the CGC census and also in Berk's auction when these 2 books were the only issues out of the Church portion of the entire Mystery Men run to finish below the 9's in terms of grading.  (thumbsu

10 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:
18 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

Interesting Mystery Men 7 on HA last night GD detached cover $3000+...

12 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Tough book-

I bowed out at $1300. Wasn't even close!!! ?

2 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

I bowed at 2k, i thought that would get it done...

Yes, most definitely a very strong price for a Raw Good copy as the attached link would confirmed:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/mystery-men-comics-7-fox-1940-condition-gd/a/121733-12688.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Reminds me of the Raw VG copies of Wonderworld 11 & 12 that were auctioned off through eBay in almost the same price range back last summer.

Almost makes you wonder if it's even necessary to get these books graded and slabbed sometimes, especially when they already go for such huge dollars in Raw condition.  hm

Well okay......the Jon Berk CGC 8.0 graded Church copy of MM 7 did managed to go for over $13.5K.   :whatthe:

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

PL 14 cgc 3.5 went for $956 in the recent heritage auction, so yeah...hopefully just an anomaly since one hadn't been up for auction in a while, unless I missed it somehow.

16 minutes ago, szavisca said:
2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

PL 14 cgc 3.5 went for $956 in the recent heritage auction, so yeah...hopefully just an anomaly since one hadn't been up for auction in a while, unless I missed it somehow.

Well, obviously the consignor made a mistake of having it officially graded and slabbed for the auction.  doh!

Now, if they had left it in it original Raw condition, it probably would have gone for $2K or possibly even more, similar to the other raw MM's and WW's.  lol

27 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I was going to proxy bid that at $1000 + BP but forgot- Really. :frown:

As a rule I prefer people only make super high bids on copies that I already own... not ones that I still need.  But I've managed to get 6 of the 11 so far, so if you guys wanna drive the whole market on them up now I'm cool with it I guess...

in that same self interested spirit I'll be watching the PL 17 cgc 7.0 pink page auction on ComicLink coming up rooting for people to go bananas on it...

Edited by szavisca
Cuz

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, most definitely a very strong price for a Raw Good copy as the attached link would confirmed:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/mystery-men-comics-7-fox-1940-condition-gd/a/121733-12688.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Reminds me of the Raw VG copies of Wonderworld 11 & 12 that were auctioned off through eBay in almost the same price range back last summer.

Almost makes you wonder if it's even necessary to get these books graded and slabbed sometimes, especially when they already go for such huge dollars in Raw condition.  hm

Well okay......the Jon Berk CGC 8.0 graded Church copy of MM 7 did managed to go for over $13.5K.   :whatthe:

I was the buyer of the book on Sunday, and I also picked up the Church MM7.  Also have an 1.8.  I did not think I would have to pay that much for a copy but as a Blue Beetle collector, outside of MM1 I think his first cover is his most important key.   I did not think I would have to pay that much for the book to be honest, but I really wanted it.  With only 7 copies in the census I'll get this graded shortly.

Here's the Larson - cover colors are just dripping, the book 'feels' great, but this copy won't be getting slabbed because there is a coupon clipped out of the back cover (which is fine with me, I have no plans to try and upgrade this copy even if that was even possible).

MM7Larson.png

26 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Here's the Larson - cover colors are just dripping, the book 'feels' great, but this copy won't be getting slabbed because there is a coupon clipped out of the back cover (which is fine with me, I have no plans to try and upgrade this copy even if that was even possible).

MM7Larson.png

:luhv:

Edited by Electron

33 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

MM7Larson.png

What a great looking copy!

3 hours ago, atomised said:

I was the buyer of the book on Sunday, and I also picked up the Church MM7.  Also have an 1.8.  I did not think I would have to pay that much for a copy but as a Blue Beetle collector, outside of MM1 I think his first cover is his most important key.   I did not think I would have to pay that much for the book to be honest, but I really wanted it.  With only 7 copies in the census I'll get this graded shortly.

Hey share the wealth ya Blue Beetle hoarder!! hehe Just kiddin' HUGE congrats that is awesome!! Can't put a price on a book if it makes you happy  would love to see a group shot of those 3 someday!!!

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

MM7Larson.png

Not much to say other than WOW!!! 

5 hours ago, atomised said:

Being the first Blue Beetle cover of all time definitely makes MM 7 a key book to have especially considering how tough it is in grade.  (thumbsu

Once you get this copy slabbed, it looks like you'll have almost half of all the slabbed copies out there.  hm

If you are trying to corner the market on MM7, remember what happened with Nelson Bunker Hunt and his brothers when they tried to corner the silver market back in the early 80's.  lol

3 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:
3 hours ago, sacentaur said:

MM7Larson.png

What a great looking copy!

+1

I must say that no other collector's eyes are as such as Steve's when it comes to finding books with absolute color dripping covers.  :luhv: