• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,172 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Being the first Blue Beetle cover of all time definitely makes MM 7 a key book to have especially considering how tough it is in grade.  (thumbsu

Once you get this copy slabbed, it looks like you'll have almost half of all the slabbed copies out there.  hm

If you are trying to corner the market on MM7, remember what happened with Nelson Bunker Hunt and his brothers when they tried to corner the silver market back in the early 80's.  lol

hah tell me more about that.  But no, not my goal.  In fact, when I started collecting the Blue Beetle about four years ago it had nothing to do with the publisher or any other goal other than I was looking for superheroes from the GA that were still active and relevant in the DC Universe that were a bit under the radar.  The other guy I thought that fit that bill was Plastic Man.  Fox books got hot along the way and I guess I was happy to be there but I still just like the Blue Beetle.

On 8/15/2017 at 0:41 AM, piper said:

I'm pretty much waiting for The Early Fox books (basically anything Fine or Simon) to cool off before I dip my toes in these waters again. 

Back to All Tops and Phantom Ladies....

The problem I have found with most golden age hero titles is that even if the market cools off (which it inevitably does), the prices remain at those hot levels.  Collectors generally want to make their purchase price back.

With Fox books on fire right now, does anyone foresee a future where a MYSTERY MEN 7 in mid-grade will be able to be purchased for less than 3K? Any old timers recall a Fox frenzy like we are seeing now?

2 hours ago, TheEyeSees said:

Any old timers recall a Fox frenzy like we are seeing now?

Not sure if you was around in the mid-90's during the last big GA bull market run when the heat finally settled in on the Fox books.

It must have been quite hot because even old slow Bob hiked his top of guide price for Mystery Men 1 from $2,100 in his '95 price guide up to $8,500 the next year for an unprecedented 305% increase in just one year.  :whatthe:

I personally believed that unprecedented hike virtually cooled off the heat on all of the Fox books almost overnight as purchasers and investors always like to buy things that are perceived to be undervalued, as opposed to buying items that are viewed as being relatively fully valued or possibly even being overvalued with more downside risk to them.  hm

a MM7 just sold here on the boards, I love it!  They're coming out of the woodwork, I barely had time to have a cup of morning coffee before that book was sold.

Edited by atomised

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure if you was around in the mid-90's during the last big GA bull market run when the heat finally settled in on the Fox books.

It must have been quite hot because even old slow Bob hiked his top of guide price for Mystery Men 1 from $2,100 in his '95 price guide up to $8,500 the next year for an unprecedented 305% increase in just one year.  :whatthe:

I personally believed that unprecedented hike virtually cooled off the heat on all of the Fox books almost overnight as purchasers and investors always like to buy things that are perceived to be undervalued, as opposed to buying items that are viewed as being relatively fully valued or possibly even being overvalued with more downside risk to them.  hm

I can only hope you are correct!   I would love to see collectors investors start to lose interest in the Fox books as well as Centaurs, which seem to be enjoying similar attention at the moment. 

2 hours ago, atomised said:

a MM7 just sold here on the boards, I love it!  They're coming out of the woodwork, I barely had time to have a cup of morning coffee before that book was sold.

Do you have a link to this sale as these boards are not the best for conducting searches?  :wishluck:

Of course, I am also lazy when it comes to doing searches when somebody else can hopefully sent send me the link.  :facepalm:  lol

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Do you have a link to this sale as these boards are not the best for conducting searches?  :wishluck:

Of course, I am also lazy when it comes to doing searches when somebody else can hopefully sent send me the link.  :facepalm:  lol

9 hours ago, atomised said:

Greatly appreciate the link to the sale.  (thumbsu

Hope the :takeit: sign represents a confirmed sale on the Forum Selling Boards here.

If so, that's actually a much more amazing price than what you had to pay for your copy, considering that it was a copy with a fully split front cover and brittle corners and yet was still able to fetch $1,799 pretty well immediately upon being listed.  :whatthe:

Good for both the buyer and the seller in the end though.  (thumbsu

Makes me wonder what the CGC 2.5 G+ copy of MM 3 that CC has in their Event Auction starting next week will end up going for since it is considered to be one of the go to books in the entire MM run?  hm  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/17/2017 at 0:38 AM, lou_fine said:

Greatly appreciate the link to the sale.  (thumbsu

Hope the :takeit: sign represents a confirmed sale on the Forum Selling Boards here.

If so, that's actually a much more amazing price than what you had to pay for your copy, considering that it was a copy with a fully split front cover and brittle corners and yet was still able to fetch $1,799 pretty well immediately upon being listed.  :whatthe:

Good for both the buyer and the seller in the end though.  (thumbsu

Makes me wonder what the CGC 2.5 G+ copy of MM 3 that CC has in their Event Auction starting next week will end up going for since it is considered to be one of the go to books in the entire MM run?  hm  :taptaptap:

Since your post is indirectly questioning my integrity as the buyer, I will respond.  If I post an :takeit: in a sales thread, if it was my last dollar, I would make good.  I may not post much on these boards but that doesn't mean I'm not a well known entity in good standing in the hobby.  

Chris and I have done deals together and he worked with me on the price to the extent that it was a no brainer to buy this book.  I am a frequent lurker on the GA forum and honestly all of the exposure that these books have been given over the last year has really sparked my interest beyond the traditional GA superhero keys.  Yes, seeing the sale on HA for the raw copy was an eye opener and I didn't know that less than 10 copies were on the CGC census. So when Chris put his copy up for sale I thought this was a great opportunity to buy this book with such a great cover at a price that made it worthwhile just to have any copy.  There's always price compression at the bottom where any copy will sell for a minimum not too much lower than a better low grade copy. Also, people suffer from the recency effect where seeing 3 copies in short time frame makes collectors think that a book is common when it clearly is not.  So if I didn't pick up this copy, its likely another one wasn't going to show up for a very long time.  And I'm also confident that if I didn't buy this book, someone else would have soon after.

Edited by dem1138

2 hours ago, dem1138 said:
On 8/16/2017 at 9:38 PM, lou_fine said:

Since your post is indirectly questioning my integrity as the buyer, I will respond.  If I post an :takeit: in a sales thread, if it was my last dollar, I would make good.  I may not post much on these boards but that doesn't mean I'm not a well known entity in good standing in the hobby.  

No, my sincerest apologies if you misunderstood my post and thought I was questioning your integrity.  :foryou:

The link took me to a Forum Selling and Buying section of the boards which I do not normally go to.  As a result, I was wondering if the :takeit: sign held a lot more more force in this particular Forum as I also see this same sign when I am in the GA, SA, General, etc. Forums of the boards here and they do not carry the same weight.

Absolutely no questioning of your integrity as I simply did not fully understand the language and signs within the Forum Selling and Buying section of the boards here, and was simply trying to get some clarification in a poorly worded fashion.  :foryou:

BTW:  Congrats on your pickup here as the MM 7 is indeed the toughest of the early Mystery Men books to track down.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Not the kind of Fox book that has been on here lately but really happy with the deal I got on this one. Probably my favorite Kamen cover

Jo-Jo 11 :foryou:

fc.jpg

Nice one Rick. Seems like with every book you post, I'm seeing something new that I hadn't noticed before. Like that sad grizzly elephant and the shading on the, uh, leg. 

On 8/18/2017 at 9:34 AM, Straw-Man said:

this is a legit explanation; many boardies signal their approval of a posted comic by facetiously indicating they'll take it, as in they wish they had it.  easy to see the misunderstanding.

Wow, after reading the following thread:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/420509-mystic-18-cgc-18/

It would appear that an emoji like the current one under discussion :takeit: actually has informal legal binding weight behind it in the Sales Forum on these boards here.  It definitely carries a different meaning in the broader and more general non-Sales Forums here.  hm

Learn something new here everyday.  (thumbsu

Hot off the press from Terry's Comics at Wizard World Chicago. :)

Approx. 95% of the cover is downright gorgeous. There is the small matter of the other 5%, which has "contiguous tape" (sounds better than "long strip of tape") tastefully applied along the spine. Looks like good quality tape, and not egregiously noticeable, as opposed to yellowing Scotch tape. The scan here makes the tape stand out more than it really does. Anyhow, for the price, and the colors, and the supple pages, and the clean GA smell, and the slab-free readability state, I just couldn't say no.

UXH4Vt4.jpg