• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,172 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Anyhow, for the price, and the colors, and the supple pages, and the clean GA smell, and the slab-free readability state, I just couldn't say no.

+1

Can't blame you at all for not being able to say NO to this book here.  (thumbsu

Basically a clean cover with some nice beautiful colors in there to top it off.  :applause:

34 minutes ago, atomised said:

I got good news on the MM7 with the "detached" cover from the HA Sunday auction that was discussed a bit back in this thread.  Lo and behold, the cover wasn't detached and after a press and slabbing, came back a solid 3.5 with Off-White to White pages.   Couldn't be happier as I thought it would come back as maybe a 1.5 to 2.0. The PQ was another nice surprise.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Congrats!  My raw purchases from HA are usually a smidge overgraded.  Nice turnout.

9 hours ago, buttock said:

Congrats!  My raw purchases from HA are usually a smidge overgraded.  Nice turnout.

I tend to agree and actually one of my GA raw purchases was very noticeably restored with a glossed cover without any description notation.  Was able to return it.  I still push lots of my moolah their way though lol 

13 hours ago, atomised said:

I got good news on the MM7 with the "detached" cover from the HA Sunday auction that was discussed a bit back in this thread.  Lo and behold, the cover wasn't detached and after a press and slabbing, came back a solid 3.5 with Off-White to White pages.   Couldn't be happier as I thought it would come back as maybe a 1.5 to 2.0. The PQ was another nice surprise.

FullSizeRender.jpg

WOW HUGE CONGRATS!!!

17 hours ago, buttock said:
18 hours ago, atomised said:

FullSizeRender.jpg

+1

Most definitely as it looks like you was able to turn what looked like a raggedly book that was coming apart in Heritage's scan into something that looks relatively bright and gorgeous and possibly even undergraded for a CGC 3.5 graded book.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

As noted by Heritage in their auction description, definitely an uncommon issue as they have seen only one that is not incomplete, brittle, or restored.  In fact, the highest graded copy of this book is Berk's former Church copy and that was only a CGC 8.0 grade.  Since the Larson has a clipped coupon missing from the back cover, there probably are no real high grade copies of this particular issue out there.  So, it looks like you've got yourself a real winner here.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/8/2017 at 5:05 PM, atomised said:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Sure looks nice and pretty in this CGC slab here.  When it comes time to sell it , maybe you should consider removing it from its slab as raw copies of these Fox books seems to sell for thousands of dollars and for huge multiples to condition guide., as evident not only by this sale but also some of the other low grade Wonderworld sales that took place on eBay last summer.   :flipbait:  (thumbsu

Was just reviewing some of the upcoming auctions listings for next week and noticed that the current price for the slabbed Mystery Men's and Wonderworld's on the CC auction site are generally just running at only a few hundred dollars and virtually all at a pretty good discount to condition guide price.  Maybe it's just their auction format with the extended 3-minute bidding time period which might possibly negate the need for early bidding, but the prices for all of their Fox books sure looks pretty attractive at this point in time.  hm

Either that or the Fox collectors have already satisfied their appetites with the Jon Berk offerings plus the much larger than normal Fox books which were also available from the CC auction back in March?  (shrug)

4 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

These two Blue Beetle covers by Ramona Patenaude look like they belong at the end of the Mystery Men run.

BlueBeetle10.jpg

BlueBeetle11(MH).jpg

Jaw just hit the floor!!! I just love those 2 covers so much they are both spectacular!! Wonderful copies you have there ?

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:
10 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Jaw just hit the floor!!! I just love those 2 covers so much they are both spectacular!! Wonderful copies you have there ?

+1, two spectacular books!:golfclap:

+2

Absolutely love the array of various colours on these 2 covers.  :luhv:

Will also have to admit that the bad girl and the damsels in bondage and distress doesn't hurt the 2 covers either.  :D

For all of you Fox aficionados......any guesses as to where this copy of Fantastic 3 will end up at in today's CC auction:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=732552

Old label goodness, although I believe it has been sitting at this $25K mark now for the past several days.  Maybe the more serious bidders will show their true colors only when the 3-minute bell rings.  hm  :taptaptap: