• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Here is a cool page from the back of REX DEXTER, an ad for the BLUE BEETLE radio show! You can find downloads of it on the net... its kind of fun to hear... i have teh origin show on tape, although the origin itself is no more than Dr. Franz injecting Dan Garrett with his wonder serum, then the Blue Beetle is off to smash the dope peddlers!! 1272415-BBradioad.JPG

1272415-BBradioad.JPG.2f3e7dd3c569936a5e200ce187a7bd61.JPG

Edited by RyanH

Thanks for the interior art photos, Ryan! The splash page in particular is very nice. Do you know anything about Briefer?

Short bio available at American Comic Archive

His work on Frankenstein was detailed in both Alter Ego 41 and 53 (the Halloween issues). Lots of Frankenstein stories are available online.

So what's the connection between the Fox books from Point Five's timeline (the early years) and the Fox Feature Syndicate books that Donut posted (which, coincidentally, have foxes on them)? My knowledge base of comic history collapses after 1941.

So what's the connection between the Fox books from Point Five's timeline (the early years) and the Fox Feature Syndicate books that Donut posted (which, coincidentally, have foxes on them)? My knowledge base of comic history collapses after 1941.

Let me quote the relevant section from Jon's article:

"DOWN BUT NOT OUT

Just as America joined the war and the super heroes of America had super villains of the Axis to fight, Fox Publications joined a number of publishers that went under. Fox was forced into involuntary bankruptcy on March 6, 1942 by a number of his creditors including, Bulkley, Dunton & Co., Phelps Publishing, and Chemical Photo Engraving Inc. with monies owed in excess of $100,000. (This was due, probably, in no small part to the fact its distributor, Colonial News, Inc. went under, owing Fox Publishing $173,551.)

The last Fox issue was V…Comics #2 (March 1942), which hit the stands in January 1942. Blue Beetle Comics, after a short hiatus, was picked up by Holyoke Publishing and continued with issue 12 (June 1942).

On February 15, 1944 Fox filed a petition to emerge from involuntary bankruptcy by proposing to “pay creditors 33 1/3% of net proceeds of the magazine Blue Beetle.” Continuing as Fox Feature Syndicate, Inc., Fox started a

new line of comics and wrested Blue Beetle Comics back from Holyoke Publishing Co. with issue 31, cover dated June 1944.

Note that toward the end of the run of the titles that the Fox “publication” offices moved from Springfield to Holyoke, Massachusetts. Holyoke Publishing Co. began publication with Catman Comics, with its first issue being produced cover dated February 1942, just as the Fox titles went under. The Holyoke title Capt. Aero Comics started with issue 7, picking up the numbering from Samson Comics #6. The first Blue Beetle comic for Holyoke was cover dated June 1942 (#12). Although the editorial office address in New York City was different for each company, the “Office of publication” had the same address: 1 Appleton Street, Holyoke, Massachusetts. The link to Holyoke, as a “holding” company for the most popular of the Fox characters, has yet to be explored. See, for example, Fox Feature Syndicate, Inc. v. Holyoke Publishing Co. Inc., 56 N.Y.S.2d 395 (1945) as Fox Syndication, Inc. fought over debts and ownership with this company and the bankruptcy trustee for Fox Publications.

Fox Features had a successful rebirth during the mid- and late1940s producing crime, humor and “good girl” comics (integrating its business by buying a paper mill on October 23, 1947 and purchasing a printing company).

However, as the new decade began, Fox Feature Syndicate was forced to file a voluntary petition for bankruptcy on July 15, 1950 along with its wholly owned subsidiary, Central Color Printing in an attempt to obtain protection from its creditors. The company tried to rearrange its debts via petition dated March 27, 1951. However, listing debts of $775,000 versus assets of only $30,000 as of July 31, 1951, a bankruptcy receiver was appointed for the company on August 2, 1951. The company was unable to emerge from bankruptcy, and Fox himself declared personal bankruptcy on May 29, 1952."

According to Jon's article, Fox got back into comics with the intent of producing knockoffs of Archie and GGA titles which were the new trends. I guess once again he was able to keep his titles going for a few years, and then things collapsed...

edit: too slow! foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif

Awesome thread. I have some Fox books I can contribute. To me they truly represent Golden Age . You have Lou fine , George Tuska , Henry Kiefer "underated IMO!" BobPowell , Briefer. to name a few. The covers were Sublime!! esp. the early years as you guys say . I totally agree. Here's the 1st Blue Beetle cover of this title. It may have come out before his own series , not sure . I would have to check.

scan0005.jpg

I love Wonderworld # 7 it's one of my fave's in my collection. Lou Fine shined on that one! cloud9.gif Since you posted yours here's # 8 to go with it which I also think is a killer cover.

scan0001.jpg

Awesome thread. I have some Fox books I can contribute. To me they truly represent Golden Age . You have Lou fine , George Tuska , Henry Kiefer "underated IMO!" BobPowell , Briefer. to name a few. The covers were Sublime!! esp. the early years as you guys say . I totally agree. Here's the 1st Blue Beetle cover of this title. It may have come out before his own series , not sure . I would have to check.

scan0005.jpg

BEAUTY BOOKS PUNY HUMAN!!

I love that Mystery Men cover (#7)... I would at some point love to get ahold of the first ten issues of the title... but man, hard to find, and $$$$$. Amazing covers on all ten of those! I missed a nice #10 at Heritage, in favor of buying SCIENCE #3 and 4 ... don't regret it, but would have been nice to get them all!!

Anyone have Mystery Men #2 (robot cover) to post?

Its funny how the cover art quality really went downhill for FOX during 1941, and into 1942... look at the difference between MYSTERY MEN #8 and #20 for instance... one year apart, but what a huge difference!!

I'll have to post my Mystery Men # 10 sometime when I can scan it . I agree those 1st 10 issues have the best covers.Here's another Fox book , maybe Point Five can post his # 2 ,scarcer then #1 IMO!!

scan0011.jpg

scan0011.jpg