• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,174 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

We are most definitely looking at 2 completely different markets here, with the current run of Fox books generally running in the 2.0 to 5.0 grade range, while the bulk of Jon's Fox books would be in the 9.0 and up grade range.  (thumbsu

My thinking was really nothing more than the concept that a rising tide generally tends to lift all boats.  In this sense, the momentum created by the sale of Jon's HG Fox books might possibly have translated into higher auction prices going forward, even for the relatively lower grade Fox books if they had been placed into one of the subsequent auctions.  hm  (shrug)

Yes, they are 2 different markets, but as noted, there will be some overlap in the mid-grades. And as the hammer begins to drop, some of us might need to decide whether to go for 1+ books in the upcoming CC auction vs.   1 book in the Berk auction.

44 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

For a lower grade copy that has outstanding color, Bob! I really appreciate books like that. 

Thanks Rick. I got it a while back from my local "old guy" collector friend. This guy does not do the internet and has never bought a comic through the mail. He's been at it a long time and has picked up his stuff at garage sales, estate sales, used book stores, flea markets ect. I traded him a pile of Dells at double guide for it and a couple other books. He will only trade and does not sell his books. Always blows me away at what he digs out when I go over. He even has a pretty decent Action #1 he showed me once. There are still quite a few collectors out there like him.

31 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks Rick. I got it a while back from my local "old guy" collector friend. This guy does not do the internet and has never bought a comic through the mail. He's been at it a long time and has picked up his stuff at garage sales, estate sales, used book stores, flea markets ect. I traded him a pile of Dells at double guide for it and a couple other books. He will only trade and does not sell his books. Always blows me away at what he digs out when I go over. He even has a pretty decent Action #1 he showed me once. There are still quite a few collectors out there like him.

Wow that's awesome i love hearing stuff like that it gives me hope about some of the rarities out there!! Wonder what he will do when it comes time to, "cash out"?!!

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Now that's a combination you don't encounter every day.  Most old time collectors bought at least some stuff through the mail, even if they never got into eBay and other Internet possibilities. 

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Wow that's awesome i love hearing stuff like that it gives me hope about some of the rarities out there!! Wonder what he will do when it comes time to, "cash out"?!!

Sadly, I think his wife will call me to "dispose" of it all. He has a garage packed to the gills with comics, pulps, girly magazines, art, toys. He has collected since he was a kid and kept most all of it. At 75 he's still going strong. As I said, he won't sell only trade. He prefers quantity over quality and loves to think he is getting the better of me... He has traded down condition wise many times to me.

In the "old days" large collections of GA were around. All you had to do was run an ad in the newspaper or put up a note on the bulletin board at the grocery store. Heck, I was given several collections from people who just wanted them gone. And this guy had a 15 year jump on me. 

18 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

The only 2 things i can say with absolute certainty is that 1. I love my wife and children more than anything else in my existence

Sounds as though you are saying this like you are trying to convince yourself, but not doing a very good job at it, as it appears to be a losing battle for you at this point.  :baiting:

Maybe you should try writing this out 100 times everyday on the blackboard to convince yourself.  lol

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though you are saying this like you are trying to convince yourself, but not doing a very good job at it, as it appears to be a losing battle for you at this point.  :baiting:

Maybe you should try writing this out 100 times everyday on the blackboard to convince yourself.  lol

(shrug) I was making an attempt at being humorous but you didn't quote my whole statement. Please keep the comments above the belt good sir it would be much appreciate ?

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Sadly, I think his wife will call me to "dispose" of it all. He has a garage packed to the gills with comics, pulps, girly magazines, art, toys. He has collected since he was a kid and kept most all of it. At 75 he's still going strong. As I said, he won't sell only trade. He prefers quantity over quality and loves to think he is getting the better of me... He has traded down condition wise many times to me.

In the "old days" large collections of GA were around. All you had to do was run an ad in the newspaper or put up a note on the bulletin board at the grocery store. Heck, I was given several collections from people who just wanted them gone. And this guy had a 15 year jump on me. 

Nothing better than hearing he is 75 and still going STRONG!! That Rocks man and i enjoy hearing about the way things were before especially in the realm of collecting. I know we are so blessed to have what we have with the internet but i bet a simpler time was really fun too and i imagine the hunt for treasures even more suprising as there where probably such a large quantity of books people had never even seen before. 

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

O.o 

That does it. I'll go ask around in my neighborhood as well.

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

(shrug) I was making an attempt at being humorous but you didn't quote my whole statement. Please keep the comments above the belt good sir it would be much appreciate ?

Yes, I was completely aware of that and that was why I was saying something back in jest to you with the  lol at the end.

Sorry, if you misunderstood and thought I was serious when I obviously made a poor attempt at humor.  :foryou:

38 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, I was completely aware of that and that was why I was saying something back in jest to you with the  lol at the end.

Sorry, if you misunderstood and thought I was serious when I obviously made a poor attempt at humor.  :foryou:

:foryou: It actually wasnt too bad brother i went back to edit my previous post that i typed too quickly thinking that sounded harsh when it wasn't meant to then i got paged and had to run quick. All good my friend i have nothing but absolute admiration and respect for ya!! 

22 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like this copy of U.S. Jones in the CC Auction is the exact same copy that sold on eBay back in September:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=717104

Wonder if the consignor is going to be able to come out ahead on it since it looks like he paid $4,716 or a multiple of over 18X+ condition guide price for this book.  :whatthe:

It's going to be REAL interesting I know a few folks that will be chasing this one but it's hard to imagine it hitting that figure again i think that was pretty Strong but I don't think all that crazy to be honest it does present very nicely. When this book hit that l figure in September i thought we would see a few more surface. The census still only has 3 copies. My 3.0, this 4.0, and the newly added 8.0 that i can only speculate is JBs and he has spoken to its rarity in the past. We have seen no raws hit the market either. When you think of the money spent on some books within this hobby sometimes i think these uber rare books go cheap in comparison. This book has what i consider a classic cover and the insides are fantastic as well!! I'm definitely biased but only because i truly believe this book is awesome inside and out. I can't wait for someone to bring it home i will be watching with popcorn in hand and hope it's a fellow Fox Fanatic!!

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like this copy of U.S. Jones in the CC Auction is the exact same copy that sold on eBay back in September:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=717104

Wonder if the consignor is going to be able to come out ahead on it since it looks like he paid $4,716 or a multiple of over 18X+ condition guide price for this book.  :whatthe:

4 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

It's going to be REAL interesting I know a few folks that will be chasing this one but it's hard to imagine it hitting that figure again i think that was pretty Strong but I don't think all that crazy to be honest it does present very nicely. When this book hit that l figure in September i thought we would see a few more surface. The census still only has 3 copies. My 3.0, this 4.0, and the newly added 8.0 that i can only speculate is JBs and he has spoken to its rarity in the past. We have seen no raws hit the market either. When you think of the money spent on some books within this hobby sometimes i think these uber rare books go cheap in comparison. This book has what i consider a classic cover and the insides are fantastic as well!! I'm definitely biased but only because i truly believe this book is awesome inside and out. I can't wait for someone to bring it home i will be watching with popcorn in hand and hope it's a fellow Fox Fanatic!!

It's a fab copy no doubt about it! Still trying to figure out why the baddie is so insistent about forcing the General to put on a gas mask. Act of altruism?

5 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

It's going to be REAL interesting I know a few folks that will be chasing this one but it's hard to imagine it hitting that figure again i think that was pretty Strong but I don't think all that crazy to be honest it does present very nicely. When this book hit that l figure in September i thought we would see a few more surface. The census still only has 3 copies. My 3.0, this 4.0, and the newly added 8.0 that i can only speculate is JBs and he has spoken to its rarity in the past. We have seen no raws hit the market either.

I have a stack of U.S. Jones #2. Sometimes I use them as a footrest.  :whatev:

7 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

It's going to be REAL interesting I know a few folks that will be chasing this one but it's hard to imagine it hitting that figure again i think that was pretty Strong but I don't think all that crazy to be honest it does present very nicely. When this book hit that l figure in September i thought we would see a few more surface.

This is the timing part that I don't quite understand.

If he picked this book uponly last September at such a hefty price which usually indicates the intention for a longer term hold, why would the consignor all of a sudden do a 360 a few months later and decide to dump all of his Fox books?  ???

Definitely good for us Fox collectors though, as some of these issues haven't surfaced in decades and now we are going to see them in 2 straight auctions.  :cloud9:  :whee:

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

This is the timing part that I don't quite understand.

If he picked this book uponly last September at such a hefty price which usually indicates the intention for a longer term hold, why would the consignor all of a sudden do a 360 a few months later and decide to dump all of his Fox books?  ???

Definitely good for us Fox collectors though, as some of these issues haven't surfaced in decades and now we are going to see them in 2 straight auctions.  :cloud9:  :whee:

:gossip: ....... he wants to be liquid when the Berk collection hits the block.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu