• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Going to be bumping a few threads with these 2 hard to track down Late Fox books that arrived in the mail today!! Thanks to one of my absolute favorite boardies for letting me get my paws on these!! :foryou:

35224738510_bf3192929c_b.jpg

35481082151_5e5d482d02_b.jpg

:applause:Way to go Gino! Love 'em. Two great TOUGH bondage covers!

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Going to be bumping a few threads with these 2 hard to track down Late Fox books that arrived in the mail today!! Thanks to one of my absolute favorite boardies for letting me get my paws on these!! :foryou:

Nice! Wish I still had my MM #29! Love 'em both.   :applause:

I traveled a couple of hours to an estate sale in a Midwestern state on the Great Lakes that had a very nice raw copy of Flame #6 (Fox) for sale. Worst case scenario, I thought they would overgrade it and list it at Overstreet. Whe I got there, they had it marked up an insane amount, and I asked why? They said a collector from California had offered just under that insane amount for it. But, for some reason, the people running the auction told him that he had to buy it in person, or something. He said that he would, so they put a number on it just above his offer, and told him that if someone walked in the door of the auction before he got there and was willing to pay that amount, they would sell it to that person.

Needless to say, that I didn't pay that insane markup.

I e-mail the person who ran the auction the next day and asked whether the collector from California showed up? She said he did! He flew 2000 ,iles, and paid for a plane ticket, rental car, maybe a hotel room, and other expenses, only to pay the insane markup that was not even reflected in any auction sites.

To this day I wonder who that person was. Maybe one of you guys knows? 

Plus, how rare is Flame #6? 

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I traveled a couple of hours to an estate sale in a Midwestern state on the Great Lakes that had a very nice raw copy of Flame #6 (Fox) for sale. Worst case scenario, I thought they would overgrade it and list it at Overstreet. Whe I got there, they had it marked up an insane amount, and I asked why? They said a collector from California had offered just under that insane amount for it. But, for some reason, the people running the auction told him that he had to buy it in person, or something. He said that he would, so they put a number on it just above his offer, and told him that if someone walked in the door of the auction before he got there and was willing to pay that amount, they would sell it to that person.

I e-mail the person who ran the auction the next day and asked whether the collector from California showed up? She said he did! He flew 2000 ,iles, and paid for a plane ticket, rental car, maybe a hotel room, and other expenses, only to pay the insane markup that was not even reflected in any auction sites.

It was one of our own boarders. I'll send him this and see if he wants to be outed;)

19 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

It was one of our own boarders. I'll send him this and see if he wants to be outed;)

I assumed that whoever it was, was not buying it for themselves, but was a dealer who found it for some well off person who needed it to fill out his collection. I mean, they paid a ton for it if you factor in all the travel costs. Way, way more than even recent auction prices for that or similar books. Is that specific book particularly rare? 

11 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I assumed that whoever it was, was not buying it for themselves, but was a dealer who found it for some well off person who needed it to fill out his collection. I mean, they paid a ton for it if you factor in all the travel costs. Way, way more than even recent auction prices for that or similar books. Is that specific book particularly rare? 

It's not exactly growing on trees;)  He bought it for himself. I showed him your post, the rest is up to him;)

4 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

It was me.....I really wanted it but the trip wasn't just for the book. My gf lives in Michigan and I came To see her. We collect together now and that book is one I wanted badly. I'm not sure what markup they told you but the price I paid was very fair. I make trips like that all the time. 

48 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

35 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

It's not exactly growing on trees;)  He bought it for himself. I showed him your post, the rest is up to him;)

31 minutes ago, SOLAR BOY said:

It was me.....I really wanted it but the trip wasn't just for the book. My gf lives in Michigan and I came To see her. We collect together now and that book is one I wanted badly. I'm not sure what markup they told you but the price I paid was very fair. I make trips like that all the time. 

Well let me start by sayin great pickup SB!!!!!! Flame 6 is AWESOME and tough as nails they rarely come up for sale. I don't think anyone would disagree if I said it was the neatest cover of the short run. The first Splash while strange is still Hitler gettin a good ol much deserved flame gun butt whoopin as well. Census less than 10 by CGC and heritage only 2 sales last one 7 years ago. 

All this being said SB let's see it brother!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

They said a collector from California had offered just under that insane amount for it. But, for some reason, the people running the auction told him that he had to buy it in person, or something.

Wasn't me, I already have this... :) 

74c325c8-a19d-4f44-969d-9ce1d7c29add_zps

1 hour ago, SOLAR BOY said:

More power to you. It was more than I was willing to pay for it, that's for sure. Glad it found a good home. 

11 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

More power to you. It was more than I was willing to pay for it, that's for sure. Glad it found a good home. 

Thank you. I got it for less than a grand and my top on it was a grand. So I was happy.