• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Ok folks this post will be intended to open discussions as well. I am Super Excited to present to my group of fellow GA maniacs my most recent Fox acquisition and I won’t lie I am over the moon with this one. Just arrived in the mail today what I consider to be one of the rarest superhero books out there. Only 3 copies on the census one of which I had previously owned and sold to a boardie to help him complete his run as he’s an awesome dude 😉 Heritage has never sold a single copy. I honestly believed there was a real good chance I would never stumble across another as the only other copy I had ever seen was Berks Mile High beauty and that was simply out of my range at this stage in my life. It was kind of a gamble as it was a raw book on ebay but when she arrived I was easily able to flip through all the pages which were to my joy all accounted for. It’s tape free and the pieces that were folded over in the pics were easily folded back. It has on the the coolest covers in the run imo I love the colors especially. Obviously our hero the Flame looks awesome, the monsters, the pick axe, and the double bondage don’t hurt either and for you early Planet lovers out there look...we even have Rivets!!! The half splash is legendary. 

Also love the cover comment,”Melting his way through the metal, the Flame dashed to the girl’s aid” 😂🤟 like hey? what about the guy hahaha!!?!!! The Flame had his priorities straight for darn sure!!

There has been many a great debate about what the rarest books out there are and I am curious to hear my fellow boardies opinion on what they think may be as rare or rarer than this book from the great house of Fox Features Syndicate. I have heard possibly Zoot 2 or maybe even Wonder 2 but I think this is rarer than the Wonder although that is an AWESOME book and still very rare. Has anyone seen one of these in the wild or have a copy to share there is the 3rd CGCd copy that I would love to see if a boardie owns it!! I humbly present to you my newest book that I am so stoked to share with you guys and gals my wife said she loved the look on my face as I thumbed through it!! Without further ado...

Wonderworld Comics #31

06671E35-11D5-4518-B855-22E2491F03C8.jpeg

89D4FED3-D475-4385-98C0-6977D9D850C1.jpeg

13A5FA06-A0C1-4565-9A52-16E02768420C.jpeg

This story is a great example of why collecting GA books is such a blast. Major congrats!!

16 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

06671E35-11D5-4518-B855-22E2491F03C8.jpeg

4 hours ago, Point Five said:

flame8pg4.thumb.jpg.09e092d0334c01f26aba3bcfd587621d.jpg

Interesting, these 1941 issues depict The Flame as a kind of Human Torch ripoff. Looks like it was right around March/April 1941 when The Flame ditched his kinda shabby flame gun for the All-Fire-Any-Time persona. Though it didn't do a whole lot to sustain sales. 

Meanwhile, back in 1940...

879398740_ScreenShot2019-07-25at9_30_31PM.thumb.jpg.a3103efa72823240422d9a33473e35cf.jpg 

2 hours ago, path4play said:

Stoked to get a nice copy of this one. 

I had one when I was a kid snagged out my "ole-man's" collection he had from when he was a kid (I spent hours on weekends going through stacks laying around at grandma's house). 

If I'd only knew then what I know now.

img033.thumb.jpg.854725d9e0b73118c1f32496216015cf.jpg

WOW that is awesome!!! The charing armored elephant is SICK!!!! thats a Key that deserves some LOVE!!!

On 7/26/2019 at 9:28 AM, path4play said:

Stoked to get a nice copy of this one. 

I had one when I was a kid snagged out my "ole-man's" collection he had from when he was a kid (I spent hours on weekends going through stacks laying around at grandma's house). 

If I'd only knew then what I know now.

img033.thumb.jpg.854725d9e0b73118c1f32496216015cf.jpg

Neat cover! Preposterous scenario! Which is why I love it!!!

On 8/12/2019 at 1:57 PM, Robot Man said:

Damn Gino, I don’t know how you keep coming up with beauties like this rarity? I never see this stuff for sale any more...

thanks RM!! hehe that’s not mine though it belongs to our boy @lpsunburst 😊 I do however own a copy of this awesome book picked it up from our friend @skypinkblu and it still resides in my humble low grade Fox collection where it will remain till the end of time haha!! 

AB8CAC86-6CA9-40EB-A7F0-DBFB50FD03DB.jpeg

:bump:

Just in time for the end of the CL Auction earlier this evening.

Anybody here the lucky winner or even luckier consignor of the Weird's, especially since 2 of them seem to have done relatively well from a pricing point of view:

RAD6EA572019729_164627.jpg

RAD0B5F92019729_165518.jpg

Looks like the Weird 3 went for a bit north of $4K, while the Weird 4 managed to fetched $4,777.  :applause:

That still works out to more than double the price for what the Berk copies managed to fetched for both of those books in CGC 7.0 graded condition.  :whatthe:   :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:
On 8/28/2019 at 8:59 PM, lou_fine said:

Looks like the Weird 3 went for a bit north of $4K, while the Weird 4 managed to fetched $4,777.  :applause:

Good to know Dean, thanks - I have Larson on both those books. :cloud9::cloud9:

Steve;

Well, I can certainly tell you with 110% full confidence that your Larson copies would go for multiples of what these 2 copies sold for.  (thumbsu

Especially with the Larson pedigree designation plus we also know that you definitely have the eyes for picking out exceptional looking copies with vibrant eye popping colors that are hard to beat!!!  :cloud9:

fox covers are weirdly, fantastically wonderful.  they had it down to a science.  but they blue it when they allowed lou and joe to get away; how they let that happen is a mystery to me.  who in the world was responsible for that faux pas?

weird3_1.jpg

fantastic4.jpg

wondercomics2.jpg

science.jpg

bb2.jpg

mysterymen10.jpg

ww6_jpg.jpg

Edited by Straw-Man