• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,174 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Ha! Victor Fox didn't much like fastened bras did he?

combluebeetle54.jpg

Evidently not. lol I think he was ahead of his time with that sentiment, as if I remember my history correctly, it was the 60s where they encouraged a more "swingin' freely" attitude and what not. Make yourself comfortable, I always say. ;) 

Hello. I'm a total newb here and to CGC comics in general. I plan to up my membership soon and send in some Golden Age Beetle issues I've collected for grading. I saw CGC was at an event in Chicago in Jan. or February this year but didn't get around to going. Would've been nice to get some on site grading or restoration advice as they were doing.

Here's one I acquired recently, I need to get graded.

SCAN1097.JPG

6 hours ago, hufflepuffle said:

Hello. I'm a total newb here and to CGC comics in general. I plan to up my membership soon and send in some Golden Age Beetle issues I've collected for grading. I saw CGC was at an event in Chicago in Jan. or February this year but didn't get around to going. Would've been nice to get some on site grading or restoration advice as they were doing.

Here's one I acquired recently, I need to get graded.

SCAN1097.JPG

Welcome to the boards! 

17 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Found this rough copy. Apparently it’s a Canadian Variant? Don’t know if that’s good or bad.

Presents well but a lot of tape and the pages are separating along the bottom of spine from each other.

822E58A4-E6D5-4E52-A8D1-D84B329DEE1E.jpeg

Except for the Maple leaf instead of the Fox head, and the issue number instead of the month, looks the same as my 'Merican copy.

Crimes By Women 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Drgoldage said:

Mystery Men have always been a favorite of mine 

fullsizeoutput_b59.jpeg

Ahhhh...................the first Blue Beetle cover appearance and probably the absolute toughest of the early Fox Mystery Men books to find. :luhv:  :takeit:

CGC population census report indicates only 10 Universal unrestored copies graded to date, with only the Jon Berk Church copy coming in above a VG 4.0 grade with a grade of VF 8.0 grade which sold for over 6X VF condition guide at the time for just over $13.5K in the big Jon Berk CC Auction a few years ago.  Looks like it's going to be pretty tough to find a true HG copy of this book since the Larson List indicates a coupon cut out of the Larson copy of Mystery Men 7.  :(

13 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

the hunt for an upgrade of this’un has spanned years, with no luck.  couldn’t hang on the mile high. 

D61A6969-AC81-4E29-A066-5CC75E2B917C.jpeg

While your at it the # 8 isn't a dog cover either :smile:

21 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

7th page :bump:

I found I don’t have an absundance of Flame covers in my collection most of Fox books I’ve hunted have either Blue Beetle, US Jones, The Eagle, or V-Man predominantly. I have about 3 of his covers if memory serves and a group shot will come sooner than later but for now this just in. My first and still owned copy which I love also has the Free Copy stamp on it but it is a married copy to a Flame #8 interior which imo does have cooler overall splash pages but the #6 does have this one and lets be honest this book is mostly cool bc of this awesome cover anyways. Colors are very rich in the new copy which has nice Ow-White pages. 

856C3C0A-1959-4F79-A798-B29EA2FA56B1.jpeg

F4D21655-B589-4A85-9231-95EFB9C88201.jpeg

E809709A-F977-4157-9D11-0F867F227AE3.jpeg

Thank you for sharing...I have never seen this book before!

Marty

55 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

7th page :bump:

I found I don’t have an absundance of Flame covers in my collection most of Fox books I’ve hunted have either Blue Beetle, US Jones, The Eagle, or V-Man predominantly. I have about 3 of his covers if memory serves and a group shot will come sooner than later but for now this just in. My first and still owned copy which I love also has the Free Copy stamp on it but it is a married copy to a Flame #8 interior which imo does have cooler overall splash pages but the #6 does have this one and lets be honest this book is mostly cool bc of this awesome cover anyways. Colors are very rich in the new copy which has nice Ow-White pages. 

E809709A-F977-4157-9D11-0F867F227AE3.jpeg

Even without art by Fine, the Flame has some pretty good splash panels.

I think this is issue 5.

2691480592_fd292f11c0_b.jpg