• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

those that know me, realize that WonderWorld 8 is one of my fav. Golden Age issues, period (top 5-10 for sure)...

I was very luckly to recently be able to pick up the Fox file copy of this issue (along with the original labeled envelope where fox stored it all these years!)...

thanks to Vin at metro for securing this one for me :cloud9:

wonderworld8fox002.jpg

Rick, that is FRICKIN' cool. Congrats on an amazing pick up.

those that know me, realize that WonderWorld 8 is one of my fav. Golden Age issues, period (top 5-10 for sure)...

I was very luckly to recently be able to pick up the Fox file copy of this issue (along with the original labeled envelope where fox stored it all these years!)...

wonderworld8fox002.jpg

that is alot of funny-book. my 2nd fave w'world. well done gator, and good for vinnie.

wonderworld8fox002.jpg

Congratulations! :applause:

Definitely not a file copy. That copy was originally purchased by Phillip Wylie, author of the Gladiator which is considered as one of several possible inspirations for Superman. He was looking to see if anyone was violating the copyright on his book. All of his comics were donated to the Princeton Library and that's where the envelope is from. The comics were each stored in an envelope and, when checked out, the student wrote their name on the envelope (the Supes one had lots of names). These were de-accessioned and sold through Sotheby's in their 1997 sale. I purchased it as part of Lot 10 (Wonderworld 5 - 11) and sold off that issue at SD Con to Mark Haspel. Other than that, I don't know anything about the book. :sorry:

Here's the WW 7

Wonderworld7new.jpg

well, at least it was "filed" and is a "fox" book, so I can live with it :cloud9:
I think it's cooler than most file copies. :foryou:

I can live with it :cloud9:

Of course, that's exactly the reaction that they've always counted on (and always profited from).

actually, the price was way less than lower graded cgc copies have recently sold for, so while they may have profited (which I hope all sellers of comics can do), I certainly would have paid much much more, so I am happy with the end result!

as far as "fox file" I thought it was cool , but wasn't any motivation to buying the book (thumbs u

Wonderworld7new.jpg

Ridiculous.

(worship)

Beautiful stuff as usual....So here I trot out my Murphy Anderson recreation of WW7---it has to be seen to be believed. Note the 'ghoul drool' which often is colored out due to the cover registration. jb

96907.jpg.47b0bb54359e292760f6f4e060b9d19a.jpg

this ebay sale from last nite has me feeling alot better about my little missing-page glod copy.

WEIRD COMICS #3, CGC 7.5, OW, FOX 6/40.

Item condition: --

Ended: Apr 21, 201021:17:02 PDT

Bid history: 23 bids

Winning bid: US $1,402.00

!Bq9m+)QB2k~$(KGrHqQH-CwEvDboUYt,BL)pF3Bl+Q~~_3.JPG

weird3.jpg