• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

The real questions is...

who the hell is OO anyway, but an old guy farting around bothering people.

Sounds like he would fit right in here on the boards. 27_laughing.gif

Please scan the story so I can read it.

You're probably not serious, but just in case you're not you can order a high-quality reprint for $15 postpaid here:

http://www.blbcomics.com/comics/oldbuck.php

Since it's still available commercially, a posted scan of the whole story would be taking money out of Castelli's and Beerbohm's pockets.

I'm in the "Adv of OO is an important precursor to the standard American comic book" camp. I don't see the harm in being more, rather than less, inclusive of a variety of formats. There's room for all sorts of collectors in the hobby. Why do so many people want to rain on Victorian/Platinum collectors' parade?

Jack

Yep, I agree. I'm not a Victorian/Platinum fan, but don't understand the level of venom directed at those collectors (& not just in this thread). We like our picture books better than their picture books, I guess? tongue.gif Hey, to each their own.

The real questions is...

who the hell is OO anyway, but an old guy farting around bothering people.

Sounds like he would fit right in here on the boards. 27_laughing.gif

Please scan the story so I can read it.

You're probably not serious, but just in case you're not you can order a high-quality reprint for $15 postpaid here:

http://www.blbcomics.com/comics/oldbuck.php

Since it's still available commercially, a posted scan of the whole story would be taking money out of Castelli's and Beerbohm's pockets.

I'm in the "Adv of OO is an important precursor to the standard American comic book" camp. I don't see the harm in being more, rather than less, inclusive of a variety of formats. There's room for all sorts of collectors in the hobby. Why do so many people want to rain on Victorian/Platinum collectors' parade?

Jack

Thanks,

thumbsup2.gif

I forgot about that.....yeah....I guess I should buy a copy. sorry.gif

I'm not raining.....I think it's great that they are collected.....I just hate seeing things proselytized

1. To try to convert someone from one faith to another; to make converts.

Thesaurus: convert, persuade, win over, spread the gospel, make converts, bring to the fold, bring to God, evangelize, propagandize.

Similar to other folks in the past regarding original art. makepoint.gif

I'm not raining.....I think it's great that they are collected.....I just hate seeing things proselytized

Me too -- I especially hate seeing people proselytize for the stuff I like. It makes the prices go up.

Y'know, those Walt Kelly Four Color books are real pieces of dung. 'Bout time for the smart collectors to get out of that market before the bottom drops out and they lose their shirts.

Right?

Jack

Me too -- I especially hate seeing people proselytize for the stuff I like. It makes the prices go up.

Y'know, those Walt Kelly Four Color books are real pieces of dung. 'Bout time for the smart collectors to get out of that market before the bottom drops out and they lose their shirts.

Right?

Jack

Bah. They're Dells. Dells are dead. Nobody wants them. Dealers don't buy them anymore. Dell hasn't produced a comic in decades. All Dells are no longer collectible ...

Right?

Jack

Bah. They're Dells. Dells are dead. Nobody wants them. Dealers don't buy them anymore. Dell hasn't produced a comic in decades. All Dells are no longer collectible ...

Thats all I used to collect. I am glad I sold them. I did get $515 for 1 book. headbang.gif

Right?

Jack

Agreed. All dealers should just blow them out at discount prices to get rid of 'em 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Right?

Jack

Agreed. All dealers should just blow them out at discount prices to get rid of 'em 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"I may lose a fortune, but I'm willing to guarantee your people too. Just tell them to bring their [Dells] over here and I will pay them fifty cents on the dollar."

Jack

(wonderful, isn't it?)

Right?

Jack

Especially Little Lulus #6, 12 and 23 I'm guessing 893scratchchin-thumb.gifhi.gif

Thank you all for your input....responses were about what I expected. The most absurd 2 would have been "obadiah Oldbuck is not a comic book" and the $20,000 price for Oldbuck is a "shill". Obadiah is inquestionably a comic book, and the 2 sales for $20,000 each are real as they get, because I now have $40,000 less in the bank, and 2 additinoal Obadiah Oldbucks in my collection( 3 total ). This can be confirmed by doing a Google search with the prompt: $20,000 Obadiah Oldbuck.

As for the best responses, there were several of you that acknowledged that Oldbuck is very rare and very important, but it lacks the demand to warrant Action #1 like money......those of you are quite wise.

It is my belief and vision that over the next ???? years, there will be a steady increase in collectors entering the Platinum/Victorian Age markets, and these early key issues that started it all will command big bucks and become highly sought after by large numbers of savy investors. When this happens, Obadiah will surface as one of the greatest comic books ever printed, as some of us already know to be the case.

Happy collecting

Showcase-4

www.VictorianAgeComics.com

thats all well and fine, and may in fact be true. But, seeing as you are the proud owner of both 20K copies, and certainly hope things pan out as you say they will for more than bragging rights for just being correct, Ill just have to take your enthusiastic prognostications with a big grain of salt.

knowwhatimean bunky??

no it doesn't...but they are off-white with some foxing. Not bad for a 164 year old comic book! The book is very special, and this particular copy is the 2nd best known condition wise, just a hair behind the nicest known. It is the "Holy Grail" of the Victorian/Platinum Age market, and a remarkable read ( not that I would dare crack the spine ). This and other great and rare books from 1842-1934 will ultimately be displayed in ' The Victorian Age Comic Book Museum ' coming to Baltimore in JUST 10 short years.....info: www.VictorianAgeComics.com - click on the "musuem info" tab.

Nice start to the WebSite Steve. I look forward to seeing it expand.

I do personally think that the importance of the1842 Wilson and Co, Obadiah is already overstated. Sorry. Some of my reasons for this are..

1) It might be more important if it was Obadiah Oldbuck issue one - Its really Brother Jonathan Extra issue 9.

2. It’s a foreign reprint. I would rather have the original edition rather than a foreign reprint in the same was I would rather have the original America Superman 1 than a German reprint.

3. It’s not even the first English Language edition. Tilt and Brogue published the first known English language translation a couple of years earlier. I was outbid on a Tilt and brogue edition a year or so ago but it did not sell for major money.

4. How important is Obadiah when contemporary historical age comic characters like Ally Sloper ran for over 1,500 issues of his own title? For me the star of Obadiah is Topffer and not his creation – the star of Sloper is clearly Sloper himself.

Of course if I could find one cheaply I would love to own one, and in case it’s sounds like I am a ‘downer’ on this particular edition of Obadiah, I think the arrangement of the panels makes it particularly appealing to me than the earlier editions.

I do personally think that the importance of the1842 Wilson and Co, Obadiah is already overstated. Sorry. Some of my reasons for this are..

1) It might be more important if it was Obadiah Oldbuck issue one - Its really Brother Jonathan Extra issue 9.

2. It’s a foreign reprint. I would rather have the original edition rather than a foreign reprint in the same was I would rather have the original America Superman 1 than a German reprint.

3. It’s not even the first English Language edition. Tilt and Brogue published the first known English language translation a couple of years earlier. I was outbid on a Tilt and brogue edition a year or so ago but it did not sell for major money.

4. How important is Obadiah when contemporary historical age comic characters like Ally Sloper ran for over 1,500 issues of his own title? For me the star of Obadiah is Topffer and not his creation – the star of Sloper is clearly Sloper himself.

Of course if I could find one cheaply I would love to own one, and in case it’s sounds like I am a ‘downer’ on this particular edition of Obadiah, I think the arrangement of the panels makes it particularly appealing to me than the earlier editions.

Excellent background information, Earl! thumbsup2.gif

I have not heard of Sloper -- anywhere I could learn a bit more?

Excellent background information, Earl! thumbsup2.gif

I have not heard of Sloper -- anywhere I could learn a bit more?

There is not much on the Net about Sloper. Here is the Wiki article on him...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ally_Sloper's_Half_Holiday