• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

Nice start to the WebSite Steve. I look forward to seeing it expand.

I do personally think that the importance of the1842 Wilson and Co, Obadiah is already overstated. Sorry. Some of my reasons for this are..

1) It might be more important if it was Obadiah Oldbuck issue one - Its really Brother Jonathan Extra issue 9.

2. It’s a foreign reprint. I would rather have the original edition rather than a foreign reprint in the same was I would rather have the original America Superman 1 than a German reprint.

3. It’s not even the first English Language edition. Tilt and Brogue published the first known English language translation a couple of years earlier. I was outbid on a Tilt and brogue edition a year or so ago but it did not sell for major money.

4. How important is Obadiah when contemporary historical age comic characters like Ally Sloper ran for over 1,500 issues of his own title? For me the star of Obadiah is Topffer and not his creation – the star of Sloper is clearly Sloper himself.

Of course if I could find one cheaply I would love to own one, and in case it’s sounds like I am a ‘downer’ on this particular edition of Obadiah, I think the arrangement of the panels makes it particularly appealing to me than the earlier editions.

Bravo! This is the kind of response I was hoping for. Nice to meet someone else from my 19th century world of comics. These are 4 great points Earl...here are 4 great responses:

1. Batmans debut in Detective 27 vs. Batman #1 didn't seem to cause a problem.

2. I would have rather have been born good looking and rich, but sometimes it doesn't always work out like we hope.

3. the 1st english language comic is nowhere near important as the 1st US comic...we live in a country, not a language. As for the value of the Tilt and Bogue issue, it was not printed in the US...therefore, does not comand big US $$$. Completely different animal than the Wilson and Co. issue from 1842.

4. Obadiah as a comic character is not important at all...this books value and desirability has little do with the character, the story, or even the artist and format. Obadiah Oldbuck is a big deal because it was #1 ...the 1st US comic book. It could be a terrible read ( which its not ) and ugly to look at ( which its not) and drawn by a 10 year old girl in her backyard and then published by her uncle ( which it wasn't), and it would still be a landmark, key comic book beacuse it was 1st.....it is the most historically important book in the US comic book marketplace...it doesn't need to have a Spider-man like main character and Wally Wood art, distributed thru a newsstand...it just had to be 1st !

It is my belief and vision that over the next ???? years, there will be a steady increase in collectors entering the Platinum/Victorian Age markets, and these early key issues that started it all will command big bucks and become highly sought after by large numbers of savy investors.

It's been 164 years since it was printed.

So, how many more years are there in a "????" confused.gif

It is my belief and vision that over the next ???? years, there will be a steady increase in collectors entering the Platinum/Victorian Age markets, and these early key issues that started it all will command big bucks and become highly sought after by large numbers of savy investors.

sign-funnypost.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

That is a good question. It depends on when more collectors get on the band wagon. This market is a sleeping giant that has not been woken up yet. Could be tomorrow, could be 2044. I have patience, so am willing to ride it out 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

true! Showcase 4 makes good points for why that thing (is it really a "comic book") may have been the first published American graphic story. But people have to care about it. You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink. Same goes here. Sell it any way you want and as enthusiastically as you care to, but that doesnt make it what YOU want it to be, as you see here the reactions here from die-hard comics collectors.

Also, is the research finished now? IS this the actual Holy Grail First Comic?? Nobody ever heard of it 5 years ago. And ten years ago we were told Yellow Kid was first. So seems to me the jury might still be out on this issue. I bought a Yellow Kid piece or two, so Im definitely not chasing the Next First Thing again.

sorry my friend, but nothing could be farther from the truth ( the implication that the market is dead ). Auction results and confirmed private sales have shown a slow but sure increase in values and interest over the past few years, and this trend is expected to continue. Markets don't change overnight, but they do change. I will continue to buy Victorian and Platinum Age key books with complete confidence that my investment will be quite fruitful. thumbsup2.gif

Also, is the research finished now? IS this the actual Holy Grail First Comic?? Nobody ever heard of it 5 years ago. And ten years ago we were told Yellow Kid was first. So seems to me the jury might still be out on this issue. I bought a Yellow Kid piece or two, so Im definitely not chasing the Next First Thing again.

Excellent point.

Playing it safe and following others will only get you so far gentlemen. Todays high profile multi-million dollar collections were started by people who at one point, had friends, relatives and other collectors say to them " why do you waste your money on those silly things...they'll never be worth anything!". The more of you that don't buy what I'm looking for means less competition. The response from the Boards is good news for me! I am banking on history, and sticking with my original comments that The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck will ultimately be recognized as one of the greatest comic books ever printed, and will be valued accordingly. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Todays high profile multi-million dollar collections were started by people who at one point, had friends, relatives and other collectors say to them " why do you waste your money on those silly things...they'll never be worth anything!".

Many of todays homeless and pennyless hobos were people, who at one point, had friends, relatives and others say to them "why do you waste your money on those silly things...they'll never be worth anything!". gossip.gif

Well, in the first case, you are talking about ALL of us here, not just you.

We have ALL spent lots of money "foolishly" on comics books. But in the second case, you are the ONLY ONE OF US LIKE-MINDED COLLECTORS TO GO OUT ON A LIMB ON THIS QUEST OF YOURS. (sorry caps lock) But nobody is following you so you are excited and upset and replying out of ego and greed! Why not just say what the rest of us say - - good luck and maybe you're right and maybe Im wrong!

Even if I owned a copy believeing it MIGHT someday keep the honor of first comic book resembling thing ever published in America (to which 99.9% of Americans would yawn if not snort at (which might be great news as you say) Id be feeling a bit squeamish inside at the risk. Seeing the reactions from other comicbook collectors I wouldnt exactly be crowing about what an incredible investment I had made. If people here on the boards are only mildly interested, just who is going to jump on your bandwagon? A museum might accept a gift, perhaps, someday...

Right now many of the early non-mainstream comics heroes are falling off the Earth in popularity and demand. Yet you show up trumpeting the spectacular investment potential of a thing from the early 19th century thats actually a French creation reprinted for not the first time? Thats a stretch for something you want to call the FIRST AMERICAN comicbook, aint it?

Playing it safe and following others will only get you so far gentlemen. Todays high profile multi-million dollar collections were started by people who at one point, had friends, relatives and other collectors say to them " why do you waste your money on those silly things...they'll never be worth anything!". The more of you that don't buy what I'm looking for means less competition. The response from the Boards is good news for me! I am banking on history, and sticking with my original comments that The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck will ultimately be recognized as one of the greatest comic books ever printed, and will be valued accordingly. 893applaud-thumb.gif

You appear to be the "market". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

At least at this point on that particular issue. How many exist again? How many calls daily are you getting begging for you to sell you copies? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think it's an interesting issue, and I'll definately be buying the $15 reprint to read it, but I can think of other places that I'd rather invest my cash with greater assurance of a solid return.

Luckily the old comic mantra, "buy what you like", is still valid.

The "market" for OO, in my limited tooling about the Internet, is antiquarian book collectors. I don't think it's graduated to comic collectible yet. In fact most "Victorian Age" comics are closer to illustrated text than they are to what we've come to know as comics anyway and will interest a more limited audience because of that. People who collect Americana are more likely to bid on them than those who collect comics.

And frankly, preaching is going to turn nearly everyone off of the book. Especially when you're crowing about cornering a market. The book is only as valuable as its NEXT sale not its last one.

The "market" for OO, in my limited tooling about the Internet, is antiquarian book collectors. I don't think it's graduated to comic collectible yet. In fact most "Victorian Age" comics are closer to illustrated text than they are to what we've come to know as comics anyway and will interest a more limited audience because of that. People who collect Americana are more likely to bid on them than those who collect comics.

And frankly, preaching is going to turn nearly everyone off of the book. Especially when you're crowing about cornering a market. The book is only as valuable as its NEXT sale not its last one.

Gentlemen ( and ladies? ),

It is not my intention to preach or persuade.....my apologies if that is your impression. flowerred.gif The purpose of this post is to bring to light the rare and desirable but often overlooked Victorian and Platinum Age market ( obviously my niche ) and some of its treasures.(like Obadiah). As a group you are all apparently very comic savy and educated, and I appreciate your points of view. I also own the 2nd highest graded copy of Reform School Girl! ( CGC VF- 7.5 unrestored with off-white pages ) and it is by far one of my favorite books...so I am not in any way Golden Age bashing....it is called the Golden Age for a reason. As a follow up question to you, I would welcome your input on my 2nd most wanted Platinum Age book...The Yellow Kid in McFadden's Flats. Unlike Oldbuck, this one shot features a mega-key character, and is VERY RARE and expensive when found.

What are you thoughts on this 1897 highly desired ( by me ) prize? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Showcase- are there any collectible fields where the 'first' in the field holds close to the top value in that field? I can't think of any. I agree with a previous poster that Victorian Age comics have more a a historical museum curiousity appeal that will never appeal to the 'mainstream' comic book collector.

Perhaps, the 1st Pez dispenser holds close to top value as a "collectible" in its medium. A 1st GI Joe or Barbie doll may also qualify with hi-value unless u mean the value of the 1st doll/action figure EVER retailed to the public. popcorn.gif