• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help a newbie grade. ( :

11 posts in this topic

Help grade this book I received years ago in a trade.I think I was told it was a fine but from what Ive been seeing I would think that good would be more applicable.Thanks for your time and I wont cry when Im told the bad news.Items I can see other than the fact it could use a good trim.(Just kidding).

Upper left tear below ind, top edge marvel chipping, lower right piece missing, lower left blunted,spine shows fairly substantial wear especially at lower staple.Crease through right side of P in suspense,creasy looking thing betwixt the metal clad mans legs and another non color breaking crease thru the cca.Theres more but Im hoping the scan will show it.( : Thanks for your time.

186606-TOS39.JPG.68077048c476e8f9d2c12a37ca1e5b12.JPG

All those defects you mentioned are allowed in "Fine." I am thinking what may bring this down is the accumulation of all these defects that are allowed. Especially that small missing piece lower right. So, I am thinking it's better than a Good. Because of the substantial spine wear, I'll go

GVG to VG-

Can't see all the wear on the spine, but if it wasn't there, I'm sure you wouldn't have mentioned it.

But, I am thinking you really have to see the actual book to be sure. Think it looks a lot nicer than a Good in the scan. And remember, they don't grade those old books as harshly as they do Bronze or Modern, so don't go by those standards.

A lot of people looking, but nobody's saying anything. Come on guys, take a shot.

I could only get the scan small enough to post at 100 dpi.The bottom right piece missing could be there if one wanted to scratch at it with a fingernail but it looks like it might just sort of be folded up.I dont want to start poking at the book and do more damage. 893whatthe.gif

My understanding that all keys no matter how bad are worth getting CGC'd IF your planning to sell. Anybody else wanna comment? What worries me, is your not sure what you have here and you may sell yourself short.

I definitetly agree that the book is better than a good, VG or VG-. The book is better to sell raw, rather than slabbed, but because the book is a significant key, I don't think you would get less money by slabbing. However, I would want this book raw in this grade, just so I could look through the book.

I'd say a solid VG... back cover could bring it up to VG+ or down to VG-... but from what you have described it sounds and looks like a nice VG.