• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your suggestions for a "forum guidelines" post to be stickied at the top.

397 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Be concise. Realize that these are forum guidelines, so CCG is not going to get into the middle of any disputes, and let 'er rip.

Let's just see if we can codify best practices for this forum.

Thnx Arch, that was fast.

A few possible Rules /Guidelines so everyone is on the same page before selling/buying in Marketplace.

#1- When you list something for sale in Marketplace it is implied you will ALWAYS follow through on what you state in your auction(s) Never list items you do not already have in your possesion. Never change the deal once the deal is made. Unless the buyer is FULLY aware of any change.'s

#2- ALWAYS list how much shipping will be upfront is possible. Or at least offer different shipping options if you live overseas. Try to estimate how long it will take you to ship the items you are selling.

#3- If problems SHOULD arise it is up to both parties to work out their discrepancies in a civil manner themselves. There is a "Negative Feedback/Dispute" thread at the top of this page to air out any grievance between two parties. Please do not let these type of problems leave the marketplace.Either work them out in that Area, or let them go.

#4- Always remember to communicate with the buyer/seller, let them know what is going on at all times.. Lack of direct communication only helps molehills become mountains.

#5- Never bid on an item you cannot , or do not intend to pay for right away unless you work it out with the seller before placing a bid.

#6- If you have increment "live" bidding type auctions..be clear about the starting and stopping time BEFORE the auction begins. The auction cannot change once the bidding has started.

Lets try and adhere to the policy, "Say what you mean, and mean what you say." While it may only be a gentlemans agreement,it should be enough.

Arch, would you be willing to sticky a Negative Feedback/Dispute Thread at the top of Marketplace so people could have a place to rant about deals gone wrong? Keeping those rants in the Market place while working out their grievance, as well as possibly getting a few other opinions about how to resolve their dispute.

jeez, Ze-Man, call me crazy, but i think there are really only 4;

1 - don't bid unless you are going to pay in a timely manner.

2 - unless instructed otherwise by buyer, ship books within a week of processing payment.

3 - be communicative. buyers should inform seller when payment has been made, and seller should inform buyers when books are sent.

4 - buyer and seller should leave feedback, positive or negative, in the kudos thread.

Fair enough, but remember these rules are more for the people who might not be as savy, righteous and brilliant as you are!. So spelling out the things we all assume are given's is why the rules are there in the first place. So everyone can point back to them and say..see..its right there in black and white you insufficiently_thoughtful_person! Or something like about fizzy lifting drink, I forget now. insane.gif

I just threw them out there for the board to shoot down.

So there... sumo.gif

Ze-

4 - buyer and seller should leave feedback, positive or negative, in the kudos thread.

I agree with Ze, we need a seperate thread for that. Although im not sure listing exact shipping costs in the thread is easy. Not for me anyway. It depends on the number of books, where the person is and the service they choose. I think it's best to leave that to the PM's or it can get confusing.

#3- If problems SHOULD arise it is up to both parties to work out their discrepancies in a civil manner bedtween themselves. There is a "Negative Feedback/Dispute" thread at the top of this page to air out a grievance between two parties. Please do not let these type of problems leave the marketplace. Either work them out in that Area, or let them go.

I would also suggest that the Airing of Grievances be allowed only on December 23rd, and that any grievances not settled amicably on the forums shall be settled by Feats of Strength between the interested parties. If the griever is able to pin the grievee, their claim shall be upheld. Otherwise, they'll have to wait until the following year to try again! thumbsup2.gif

Fair enough, but remember these rules are more for the people who might not be as savy, righteous and brilliant as you are!. So spelling out the things we all assume are given's is why the rules are there in the first place. So everyone can point back to them and say..see..its right there in black and white you insufficiently_thoughtful_person! Or something like about fizzy lifting drink, I forget now. insane.gif

I just threw them out there for the board to shoot down.

So there... sumo.gif

Ze-

i don't consider myself all that righteous.

and i'm just thinking if there are a ton of rules designed to try and accomodate every situation, it's just going to be muddled and confusing.

best to KIS imho

Sal , you do know I was just kidding I hope. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Keeping it simple is best. My ideas were just ideas to be whittled down as needed.

No offense meant with my savy, brilliant, righteous comment, it was meant to illustrate how not everyone knows many of the things we consider unspoken rules of conduct around here. Hence the need for some guidlines for the newer members.

Ze-

Sal , you do know I was just kidding I hope. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Keeping it simple is best. My ideas were just ideas to be whittled down as needed.

No offense meant with my savy, brilliant, righteous comment, it was meant to illustrate how not everyone knows many of the things many of us consider unspoken conduct. Hence the need for some guidlines.

Ze-

of course. no offense taken whatsoever. i was trying to imply by my leaving them out that i am rather brilliant and whatever the other adjective you used. but, as it is wont to do on an internet message board, the comedy fell kind of flat.

nothing but good vibes for you K man

flowerred.gif

oh and as an aside, i don't really want n00bs doing all that much selling. just as i don't want people signing up just to spam the Ebay board with their junk, i don't want a bunch of people signing up here to troll the marketplace and snag all the good deals that are there. i like to think of the marketplace as a place for people who have established themselves a bit, and as such would be familiar with how to conduct business in an ethical fashion without a ton of rules

#3- If problems SHOULD arise it is up to both parties to work out their discrepancies in a civil manner bedtween themselves. There is a "Negative Feedback/Dispute" thread at the top of this page to air out a grievance between two parties. Please do not let these type of problems leave the marketplace. Either work them out in that Area, or let them go.

I would also suggest that the Airing of Grievances be allowed only on December 23rd, and that any grievances not settled amicably on the forums shall be settled by Feats of Strength between the interested parties. If the griever is able to pin the grievee, their claim shall be upheld. Otherwise, they'll have to wait until the following year to try again! (thumbs up

We have a winner.

So it is written, make it so.

Ze-

oh and as an aside, i don't really want n00bs doing all that much selling. just as i don't want people signing up just to spam the Ebay board with their junk, i don't want a bunch of people signing up here to troll the marketplace and snag all the good deals that are there. i like to think of the marketplace as a place for people who have established themselves a bit, and as such would be familiar with how to conduct business in an ethical fashion without a ton of rules

I agree with this, I'm not that worried about newbies snagging all the good deals, but I am worried about the boards becoming a sort of dumping ground for people that just post the same list of unsellable junk week after week or put something up for sale that's simultaneously been put up on number of other sites, in newsgroups, on eBay etc...

I would also suggest that the Airing of Grievances be allowed only on December 23rd, and that any grievances not settled amicably on the forums shall be settled by Feats of Strength between the interested parties. If the griever is able to pin the grievee, their claim shall be upheld. Otherwise, they'll have to wait until the following year to try again! thumbsup2.gif

bw-festivus-1-773997.jpg

cloud9.gif

1. No low post # sellers (100-200 post?? before you can buy or sell.)

let them earn their lumps before they take advantage of the marketplace. You must get called a "pencil neck geek" or have "sawdust for brains" or a "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" at least once by JC in general.

2. One thread at a time. please!

No one person needs 2-3 selling threads. If you are cleaning up an old thread and moving stuff to the new thread then thats fine.

Plus whatever anybody else said.