• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the Amazing Spider-man 169 35-cent Variant Rare?

31 posts in this topic

I have all the ASM 35-centers in duplicate+, but not #169. I have even bought several 35-cent ASM lots, and runs of ASM comics with 35-centers in them, but still nada.

I know they exist, but it seems that the distribution may have been slightly different for that first month..

I found these listings earlier this week, and these illustrate exactly what I have found over the years, ASM 170-173 35-cent, 169 30-cent. If that 169 was a variant, I would have been so in there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180006173153

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180006173571

For those that have got ASM 169 variants, I'd appreciate some info on where these are popping up.

Joe,

I've been tracking the ASM 35 cent variants for about two years and I agree that the 169 is the rarest of the five, or at least the one that doesn't appear as often. I've talked to Cosmic Spider-Man and he thinks they are all about the same.

Have any VF/NM ones you would be willing to sell?

I don't think any of my dupes would qualify at this level. 35-centers are tough, let alone high-grade. foreheadslap.gif

Darth Diesel once said he had some spare CGC 9.2's. Can't remember if they were the 30 or 35 cent copies. I know what you mean though. Whenever i find them their FN/VF at best which just doesn't go with the rest of my collection frown.gif

Darth Diesel once said he had some spare CGC 9.2's. Can't remember if they were the 30 or 35 cent copies.

I think you can be sure they're 30-cent copies, and if true NM/CGC NM copies of some of the ASM 35-centers come up for sale, I'd call VISA and extend your credit limit. grin.gif

Is Showcase really that disorganized that they miss these over and over again? This is definitely not the first time someone has pointed to one of their auctions as having variants not mentioned in the auction.

Is Showcase really that disorganized that they miss these over and over again?

I think it's just plain volume - I can't imagine all the crepe flowing through their greedy little hands.

I don't think any of my dupes would qualify at this level. 35-centers are tough, let alone high-grade. foreheadslap.gif

Darth Diesel once said he had some spare CGC 9.2's. Can't remember if they were the 30 or 35 cent copies. I know what you mean though. Whenever i find them their FN/VF at best which just doesn't go with the rest of my collection frown.gif

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you do realize that out of the four 35 cent ASM variants, two have a single copy at 9.0 with none above and one has the highest at 8.5? You should either be prepared to wait 5-10 years for the right copy and spend thousands on each, or learn to live with F/VFs. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you do realize that out of the four 35 cent ASM variants, two have a single copy at 9.0 with none above and one has the highest at 8.5? You should either be prepared to wait 5-10 years for the right copy and spend thousands on each, or learn to live with F/VFs. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well stated, but there are actually five 35-centers, with the 173 in CGC 8.5 highest grade as well.

I also believe that most (all?) of these "highest graded" copies came from that Original Owner set 4gemworks paid through the nose for, so if you take those out of the equation... 893whatthe.gif

P.S. Does anyone have a link to the post of the CGC grades he got back?

Nevermind, I found his Registry Set:

Amazing Spider-Man 169 35 Cent Price Variant 8.5

Amazing Spider-Man 170 35 Cent Price Variant 9.0

Amazing Spider-Man 171 35 Cent Price Variant 6.5

Amazing Spider-Man 172 35 Cent Price Variant 6.0

Amazing Spider-Man 173 35 Cent Price Variant 8.0

So he has 2 of 5 highest graded, and extremely close on a 3rd.

Thanks for the information. I never knew they were that scare. Personally i would rather not have them at all then spend large amounts on books that i don't like. Besides i have lots of others i need to complete my run before i need to worry about the 35 cent books. If i can come across some high grade copies one day then great, if not then i will revist this in 5 years or so when im closer to completing the run. In the meantime i think my money would be better spent on SA books. Thanks though, i seriously never knew they were THAT rare.

I am pretty sure Darth Diesel did have a CGC 9.2 #171 35 cent variant at one time don't know if he still does or not though. I also think I have seen a CGC 9.6 also of the #171 are they not in the Census? confused-smiley-013.gif and JC you might be right I have seen more #171's than #169's but not a whole lot more probably seen between 10 to 15 of each over the last 3 years. I have a extra but it looks really bad frown.gif and I may be trading it soon anyway.

JC you might be right I have seen more #171's than #169's but not a whole lot more

In my experience, ASM 171 is by far the most common of the ASM 35-centers, and would definitely be the one to show up in HG. I think it was the first 35-cent variant I ever found, and I keep seeing them with regularity.

ASM 169 and 173 are the hardest to locate, in my opinion.