• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shady Comic Book Stores

22 posts in this topic

HOLY 893censored-thumb.gif !

So, I went to the local shop a few blocks away this afternoon. I rarely go there (I've been three times in the past year), but I wanted to see if he had any She-Hulk #8's I could flip for a quick buck devil.gif

Anyway, the owner is standing in the middle of the store SMOKING a cigarette around the UNBAGGED new comics!!! 893whatthe.gif

Not to mention that all his back issues are un-boarded, so they are all laying on each other causing numerous creases. I tell ya, I've been in the some bad stores, but this guy just doesn't care about the hobby.

So you went there expressly for the purpose of buying comics you could flip immediately and you find fault with the way he runs his store?

If he was that disorganized with his stock, it would seem that you stood a far better chance of finding and buying hot books that he hadn't heard about... confused-smiley-013.gif

So you went there expressly for the purpose of buying comics you could flip immediately and you find fault with the way he runs his store?

Yes.

Well, I needed to get the last four issues of Superman too. After the number change, Supes somehow skipped my mind.

Forget the smoke in the room affecting books.

The open flame to light cogarets or the cigaret heat source near books is a fire hazard.

Ironically, this shop burned down once already....

Forget the smoke in the room affecting books.

The open flame to light cogarets or the cigaret heat source near books is a fire hazard.

Ironically, this shop burned down once already....

27_laughing.gif

If I were ever to advocate snuff, this would be the time. I'd rather see the candy variations of tobacco though - I sure miss Big League Chew and Candy Cigarettes smile.gif

-Bob

No smoking in any public building in Santa Fe. Not in bars, not even in stores that only sell cigs, and if you smoke outside you can't be closer them 25 feet from any public entrance to a building. You can pretty much only smoke in your car and your house.

From where I come from, I don't think anyone ever smokes in any comic shops. Also, the shops are never really crowded as well. I guess the comic-collecting community is quite a small group in Singapore.

Well, I know two other people there besides you who collect. Unless you're one of those two. smile.gif

No smoking in any public building in Santa Fe. Not in bars, not even in stores that only sell cigs, and if you smoke outside you can't be closer them 25 feet from any public entrance to a building. You can pretty much only smoke in your car and your house.

That is how it is here in Atlanta and maybe the entire state. The only place you can smoke is at a venue that is targeted at 18+ year olds. Bars, strip clubs, etc.

Well, I know two other people there besides you who collect. Unless you're one of those two.

I don't think I'm one of them. Thanks for the welcome!

And on the subject of shady stores, I have to say I have not had any encounters, thankfully. However, my gripe would be with stores which display and handle their comics in haphazard fashion, for example a particular new issue, right in front of you. Then when you want to purchase said issue, they show you the copy they just handled. You find there's a big crease smack in the center of the cover. They tell you that's the last copy, so take it or leave it. I just leave it and move on to another store. But I must say that I don't quite like the feeling of leaving a comic shop without a single purchase on shipment day.