• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re:VAST comic book collection now available at my EBAY store for SERIOUS buyers

70 posts in this topic

Dear Buyers;

I'm currently selling a massive comic book collection in my EBAY store. This collection, which is the culmination of 25 years of careful preservation and collecting, is now ready to move on as I'm getting ready for graduate school and everything must go. Naturally, I need to get a fair price for it-hence the auction route at EBAY failed miserably and now I'm trying a long term attempt to sell it at my EBAY store to wealthy and SERIOUS collectors. This collection contains an incredible diversity of comics of great value and scarcity.Some highlights:

* Many early Silver Age JLAs, Tales to Astonish, and Hulks as well as other rare Marvels and DCs from the Silver Age,including ADVENTURE COMICS #352-353 in mint!

* LARGE sets of Superman and Wonder Woman post -Crisis in high grade, including the entire Death Of Superman storyline in Mint-great investments with the current and upcoming films.

* The VERY FIRST solo adventure of the Silver Surfer in FF Special #5 in MINT condition!

* A HUGE collection of mini series and one shots, including complete sets in mint of CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS,BATMAN:THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, and John Byrne's THE MAN OF STEEL!

There's SO much more to this collection-plus hundreds of individual closeup pics for your inspection and a complete list with 2005 Overstreet Price Guide conditions. A true collector will realize the worth of this collection. The collection can be found with contact information at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270014457554

Please help me find a home for my babies.I hope they bring as much joy to whoever buys them as they have to me over the years.

Sincerely,

A.L.

Welcome to the boards. I took a look at your auction, including several of the comics you graded as MINT. Well, I'm not sure how to say this...but...even with the slightly blurry photos it is quite obvious that the books you are calling MINT (especially the older Silver Age books) are not even remotely close. You need to get an Overstreet Grading Guide and do quite a bit of studying! Good luck...

I'd guess you are asking roughly 10-15x too much for what you have there.

Those long boxes are probably worth $40-50 a piece to a dealer (the only person to want to buy this type of stuff in bulk)...you are asking $541 per box. foreheadslap.gif

I seem to recall Mile High comics pays $25/box for this type of stuff? Powerman- the price guide is irrelevant for this type of common 80's/90's and midgrade silver/bronze material. Apart from a very few key things you MAY have in very high grade, it's mosty $.50-$2 bin material that dealers can only move in bulk.

On a deal like this you need to assign a value of maybe 10 cents a book to all your post 1978 material (other than Spideys (ASM 300, etc.), X-men, some McFarlane hulks and a couple of others) and then look at the other stuff and figure on half guide.

Take that total number and round down a bunch.

then you'll have a more realistic goal for the collection.

You have a sprinkling of $5-$15 silver age books in there and that might be optimistic. And a sprinkling of $5-$10 bronze age books.

If someone is going to buy 12 long boxes, 90-95% of which is 50 cent bin fodder, they're going to look for a heck of a lot more than a 60% discount off OPG.

was this a joke by someone.(first thing I thought after looking ay the auctions) not being mean but anyone who says they collect comics should know that these are relativley worthless so to speak. relative to what you are asking ismore what I mean and as the others said some are not even close to NM.

Anyways welcome to the boards and enjoy yourself.and don't get mad at people here you can learn alot.

and they never come back sometimes. You think if you were going to hawk your stuff on a message board full of people who know there stuff you would be a little bit educated and not look foolish . Example if I had a few stamps , coins or cards to sell I would do a little research on the items before I offer them up to experieced buyers. I would ask around to see if they had value not post that they are for .

'SERIOUS' buyers. serious buyers know there shhhhiiittzzzzz

Dear Collection Police;

You are all HIGH,right?!?

First,I carefully graded these books myself with a lot of experience and I DARE anyone to find private collectors who will do better at grading.

Second-with the VAST tracts of early Silver Age comics-Including Tales to Astonish #59 and 100 in near perfect condition,a nearly complete post-102 Hulk collection and a ton of 1970's JLA and Avengers FOR STARTERS-you guys have the nuts to tell me it's junk?!? Of COURSE major stores want to give you pennies on the dollar for them-so they can turn around and sell them for FULL GUIDE PRICE! You guys tell me I have overvalued and overrated the conditions of the comics and most of them are "slush pile" books? Why do I have a feeling if I lowered the price to 400 for the whole set and one of you picked up these "slush pile" boxes-that when you went to turn around to sell them to the public,most of you would be singing an entirely different tune about them?

Especially if any of you are connected to the CGC and can have them officially graded for a song..................

I'm sorry for the tirade-I'm sure some of you meant well. But this half my life here and value is needed for them. Forgive me if I'm not so fast to give them away.

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

Dear Collection Police;

You are all HIGH,right?!?

First,I carefully graded these books myself with a lot of experience and I DARE anyone to find private collectors who will do better at grading.

Second-with the VAST tracts of early Silver Age comics-Including Tales to Astonish #59 and 100 in near perfect condition,a nearly complete post-102 Hulk collection and a ton of 1970's JLA and Avengers FOR STARTERS-you guys have the nuts to tell me it's junk?!? Of COURSE major stores want to give you pennies on the dollar for them-so they can turn around and sell them for FULL GUIDE PRICE! You guys tell me I have overvalued and overrated the conditions of the comics and most of them are "slush pile" books? Why do I have a feeling if I lowered the price to 400 for the whole set and one of you picked up these "slush pile" boxes-that when you went to turn around to sell them to the public,most of you would be singing an entirely different tune about them?

Especially if any of you are connected to the CGC and can have them officially graded for a song..................

I'm sorry for the tirade-I'm sure some of you meant well. But this half my life here and value is needed for them. Forgive me if I'm not so fast to give them away.

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

screwy.gif

Ummm...nobody here is kidding at all. You're stuff is incredibly over-priced. You're going to have to stop placing a dollar value on their emotional worth to you if you want to sell them.

Whereas I think the above posts were too hard on you, they were true. I don't mean to burst your bubble (I've had many a bubble burst in my day, so I know it sucks). Most of your books have a "guide price" of $5 or so. However, not many people are willing to pay full guide for a $5 1980's comic. You find them in dealers' $1 bins. Yes, I would like to buy the lot for $400 and sell for a profit. But it's because I would split it out and sell in smaller lots, or individually. When you sell in bulk, buyers expect a significant discount. Some people make a living at buying at wholesale in bulk, and breaking it out for profit. That's probably your market at this point. No collector wants to spend that kind of money for alot of $5 comics. If I had $6500 to spend on comics, this is not where I would invest.

I hate to tell you, but post-102 Hulks and 1970's JLA's and Avengers are not very popular books. Sure, maybe some of them will get close to guide, but not $6500 all at once. The absolute most I've ever paid for a long box of $1-$5 comics is $60. You might get away with $100/box ($1200), but I doubt anyone would want to invest that much. Not that it's not worth it, but there's alot of work involved in sorting through 12 long boxes to sell individually. (Again, no collector wants to buy this stuff to keep. Not all at once anyway.)

As far as the grades, they are a bit off. CGC grading has changed the way the hobby looks at grading. If your comics have one or two TINY, TINY lines on the spine (not visible until you look closely under a light), then it's not Mint. If the corners are not razor sharp, like a perfect piece of paper, it's not Mint. Unfortunately, your pictures are not clear enough to see this kind of detail, so for $6500, one has to assume that they are overgraded.

I wish you luck with your lot, but want to bring you back to reality that you might be able to get $500-$1000 for your collection. Possibly double if you broke it out and didn't sell it all at once. Hope this helps, and doesn't make you too upset.

Example: "But [Hulk] 105-106 are both NEARLY PERFECT"

DSC03038.jpg

I can see creases at the top and bottom right corners. And some damage in the middle of the right side. How is that "nearly perfect"? I'm sure you want it to be, so you can add the NM price to the total. This comic is a VG.

and I DARE anyone to find private collectors who will do better at grading.

sumo.gifpoke2.gif

Nikos

Doc Banner

Greggy (kills me to admit it)

High Voltage

About 50 other guys on here... tongue.gif

Second-with the VAST tracts of early Silver Age comics-Including Tales to Astonish #59 and 100 in near perfect condition,a nearly complete post-102 Hulk collection

If your TTAs are 9.4 I'd get them slabbed and sell them for multiX 9.2 book.

Please post a large scan of your NM TTA 60, 66, 67, and 77... thumbsup2.gif

Example: "including #59 in near mint, where the Hulk first appears battling the original Giant Man..."

DSC02991.jpg

Near Mint? Did you see the bottom right corner? That comic MIGHT be a VF, but I'd need to see it closer.