• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re:VAST comic book collection now available at my EBAY store for SERIOUS buyers

70 posts in this topic

Example: "But [Hulk] 105-106 are both NEARLY PERFECT"

DSC03038.jpg

I can see creases at the top and bottom right corners. And some damage in the middle of the right side. How is that "nearly perfect"? I'm sure you want it to be, so you can add the NM price to the total. This comic is a VG.

That Hulk isn't even a Fine 6.0... foreheadslap.gif

Here is a NM-(9.2) Hulk comic I'm selling:

And here is a NM(9.4):

Dear Collection Police;

You are all HIGH,right?!?

First,I carefully graded these books myself with a lot of experience and I DARE anyone to find private collectors who will do better at grading.

Second-with the VAST tracts of early Silver Age comics-Including Tales to Astonish #59 and 100 in near perfect condition,a nearly complete post-102 Hulk collection and a ton of 1970's JLA and Avengers FOR STARTERS-you guys have the nuts to tell me it's junk?!? Of COURSE major stores want to give you pennies on the dollar for them-so they can turn around and sell them for FULL GUIDE PRICE! You guys tell me I have overvalued and overrated the conditions of the comics and most of them are "slush pile" books? Why do I have a feeling if I lowered the price to 400 for the whole set and one of you picked up these "slush pile" boxes-that when you went to turn around to sell them to the public,most of you would be singing an entirely different tune about them?

Especially if any of you are connected to the CGC and can have them officially graded for a song..................

I'm sorry for the tirade-I'm sure some of you meant well. But this half my life here and value is needed for them. Forgive me if I'm not so fast to give them away.

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

Andrew,

Take a prozac or any of the other wonder drugs that help us see the real world as it truly is and look at what you have. Many of the examples earlier in this thread are about as near to perfect as the Tampa Bay Devil Rays baseball team or the Houston Texans football team. What I'M seeing is reader copies to low grade collector issues- hole fillers. Certainly nothing that would be worth putting in a slab.

and I DARE anyone to find private collectors who will do better at grading.

sumo.gifpoke2.gif

Nikos

Doc Banner

Greggy (kills me to admit it)

High Voltage

About 50 other guys on here... tongue.gif

and me, don't forget me! yay.gif

DSC03038.jpg

OK, so this is 'Near Perfect'? And I'm going to assume you've assigned a notional value of NM- Guide? Which is $95?

Let me tell you right now that the book in question is no better than VG. Which Guides at $16.

See how far off you are? See why there might be a problem?

As harsh as all of this might sound, in our own tactless, inept way, we're trying to actually help. We're trying to get you to understand where your perceptions and expectations might be in error. We might come across as pompous, know-it-alls, but seriously, we are trying to help. flowerred.gif

and I DARE anyone to find private collectors who will do better at grading.

sumo.gifpoke2.gif

Nikos

Doc Banner

Greggy (kills me to admit it)

High Voltage

About 50 other guys on here... tongue.gif

and me, don't forget me! yay.gif

You sir are one of the 50! thumbsup2.gif

I dont know how to grade and your are way off on grading. i mean WAY OFF. and the folks on this site are serious and trying to help. This collection is not worth much if anything . I learned the hard way too. Had a bunch of books that I was trying to sell and everyone here was great in showing me how wortless they were.

And yes if you lowered them to $400 maybe someone would buy it but they would still overpay.If it was me I would say it is worth $250. This is not an investment collection. Take everyones word for that. No one here is trying to cheat you ( well most are not) . Would you rather everyone here says "WOW thats worth Thousands" and then after it does not sell you call us jerks. Honestly Andrew no one here is lying to you .

There is a big difference between what a book says something and what something is worth. You will learn that.I did. I went to a store with over $800 worth of books and they offered me $25 for them and this was 70's books too. Only keys and CGC 9.4 or higher will get you book or higher in general. And most( not all) books from the 80's up is worth a tenth of cover. Does not matter if a guide says it is worth $2 . And your shipping is outrageous. Why would anyone buy books worth $300 and pay $1200 shipping. Defeats the purpose of buying books.

Keep your babbies and enjoy them . They will mean more to you than the $200 you can get for them. Just ,my opinion and what do I know.

I would have to agree with the comments above, powerman definitely needs help in grading comic books. Those books have pretty serious defects to be calling them "Nearly Perfect" or "Near Mint."

I definitely recommend doing what Rob stated above, breaking the collection apart will probably get you more money in the long run...

"Let me tell you right now that the book in question is no better than VG. Which Guides at $16."

And if YOU'RE LUCKY, an ebay value of $8-$10.

The TTA 59 looks nice thought. I doubt it's a VF even, but a Fine on an early Marvel like that is nice.

I wouldn't even know what to do with 90% of that stuff, the 80's and 90's 50 cent bin fodder. I guess I'd repackage it in lots of 50 and HOPE someone bids $9.99 for it. That's about as well as I've done selling junkola and I usually even sprinkle in a coup

Dear Sellers;

Fine.I'm screwed. Mind if I try and find a "sucker" who disagrees with you first,though?

And for Benz: If I sold you a mid-grade FF #1 to you for $6500, I would deserve whatever happened to me in life for such stupidity.

Thank you for your candor,all of you.Painful as it is.

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

I recommend going on ebay and paying the $25 headlight auction and then ask for $10 for 20 comics telling everyone that you'll add at least one $10 comic in the mix. That can work sometimes and its a lot of fun for everyone.

Grab Bags get everyone excited, see.

Ed

Hey you might find a sucker and then open your own Mile high comics.

A mid grade FF1 goes for abut $6,500 , thats not stupidity that is reality. Im getting lost here . you think your books are worth 20X what they really are and you think a Fantastic Four # 1 is stupid at $6K . Again Andrew , I am not slamming you . But if you think a FF#1 is stupid at $6K then you just are out of touch with the hobby.

But if you stick around these boards you will be the better for it, We are all good guys and in the end will look out for each other. You will learn a ton. I came here uneducated and everyone here has taught me alot.

I also agree with everyone else . Break it up and you might break $600 in the end .

Andrew also dont get angry or feel like you are screwed. It is not like the old days . Comics are not stocks and are not good investments. And like a car , what you pay is never what you get back unless its a classic. Buy a car for $20K and in 10 years sell it for $5K. I buy my comics as a hobby and when I sell them I dont expect much , they may have a book value of $5K but i honestly know I may get $500 . thats just reallity. I doubt you purchased your collection as an investment. So be hinest with yourself . Look on Ebay and search comic book collection and change the listing to view by Price but start with the most expensive and you will be saying to yourself what is wrong with these people asking $7K for what looks to be $500 worth of books.

Also remember a book can say something is woth X but unless someone wants X it is not worth what the book says.

Dear Sellers;

Fine.I'm screwed. Mind if I try and find a "sucker" who disagrees with you first,though? ...

Andrew...trust us, you won't find a "sucker" to pay you $6,500 for a collection worth maybe a couple hundred at best. But finding "suckers" isn't the way to win any respect on these boards, and certainly won't do much for your eBay feedback rating. Take our advice...cancel your auction and buy an Overstreet Grading Guide and read it...slowly and carefully...until you get a better understanding for how grading should be done. Go to the Grade My Comic forum here and post some large, clear scans of the comics you think are "MINT". We'll give you honest, unbiased feedback that will help you get a better handle on how to grade.Then relist your auction with realistic grades and a realistic starting bid.

However, if you truly paid anywhere near what you are now asking for them, then you should definitely keep them and maybe pass them along to your kids for their enjoyment. Good luck.

Dear Sellers;

I know no malice is meant by most of you.It's just that 25 years of my life is wrapped up in these comics and I really need the cash. I TRIED hard to objectively grade and price the comics.I still can't believe especially with the early Silver Age JLAs,including issue #17 and 21-22, that this collection will bring 600 bucks.That's a FRACTION of what I paid for them over the years.I have perfect copies also of Hulk #340 with Wolverine by David, Captain America Annual #8 and X-men 212 and 222 containing Wolverine and Sabretooth's origins.I was so sure they would bring more interest and cost.

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

Ok here is what you do. Take out the books that are hot/collectible and sell them indivually . Might even get more.

But Andrew lets take Hulk 340. Here is a good example. You think is is a great collectible book but not really. I have a NM copy of that. It is common. Lots of copys . A guide may say it is $50 (I dont have a guide) but I cant sell it for more than $10 Here is what i mean. Look at this auction. It did not sell in NM for $6

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hulk-340-vs-Wolverin...1QQcmdZViewItem

And then was relisted as a lower price $4

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120015272333

This is what we mean by dont go by book value. This book whatever it guides for is relativley worthless unless CGC 9.0 or higher

Also selling in bulk always means discount . Also you cant sell something and if someone pays $1000 for it expect them to pay another $500-$1000 to ship them.

Thats why you break it up.

EDIT : I found my overstreet . Hulk 340 guides for $45 and your lucky to get $8

That is the best example I can give you of what we mean.

Dear Sellers;

I know no malice is meant by most of you.It's just that 25 years of my life is wrapped up in these comics and I really need the cash. I TRIED hard to objectively grade and price the comics.I still can't believe especially with the early Silver Age JLAs,including issue #17 and 21-22, that this collection will bring 600 bucks.That's a FRACTION of what I paid for them over the years.I have perfect copies also of Hulk #340 with Wolverine by David, Captain America Annual #8 and X-men 212 and 222 containing Wolverine and Sabretooth's origins.I was so sure they would bring more interest and cost.

I feel bad for you, I really do. I've been in the same position you're in, many years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday - the hard slap of reality that let me know I wasn't going to get near what I thought I would for my collectibles.

I'm a JLA collector, so I know the market. It's overpriced in the guide. When I sold my #22 a few years ago, I was very disappointed. From what I could tell from your pics, your JLA's are VG. In VG, #17 guides for $38, #21 is $68, and #22 lists for $62. That's $168. However, VG copies are very common and not sought after. So they sell for about half guide. So if you sold them individually, you could expect $84 total, and I don't think I'm being too harsh with that estimate. Bundle them with thousands of other books, and you'll get less than that.

A search of completed eBay auctions for raw comics shows the highest Hulk 340 sold for $22, Capt. America Annual 8 was $10, X-Men 212 was $15, and #222 was $5. Nothing really to write home about.

If I had your collection, I would take better scans, and post them in smaller lots. Put the Hulks together, the Xmen together, etc. Do auctions, and let them go for what they go for. They'll sell for their true value. It's more work, but you'll get more in the end. The sooner you come to terms with the fact that you have <$1000 of comics (if sold separately), the better off you'll be.

I sold a VF Hulk 340 for $12. You never know. Actually, I sold all of my VF to NM McFarlane Hulks for 50-70% of OPG. Guess I got lucky. Priced the 340 at less than 50% because the OPG price on that in VF was silly.

If you paid full retail for this stuff way back when you're scr**wed.

Andrew, your first step here should be get a scanner scan some of these books and post them in our grading section. Let the guys here grade them for you and learn by what they say. I'm 42 years old and not a great grader thats why I visit the grading section daily to try and learn. It has helped alot.

Trust me this all would of happened differently if your first post wasn't to sell something. Get to know the peeps here and you will realize that yes some of us are a-holes but very helpful a-holes.

So officially welcome to the boards, now get some of these books scanned. thumbsup2.gif

I think once we get past the initial sticker shock, the people on this forum can be a wealth of information to help you maximize your revenue on this collection (even it it means a loss from what you paid). frown.gif