• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re:Trying again............................

225 posts in this topic

Ok,HERE'S the whole truth:I WASN'T lying-but that wasn't the real reason.I can take care of myself,people don't scare me. The REAL reason? NO ONE on EBAY that I know-and I know many sellers of various items-from custom jewelry to collectible toys to textbooks-allows buyers,even local ones,to examine the merchandise before buying.The whole point of EBAY is to create a reliable forum for sellers and buyers to interchange items without EVER meeting and sellers can allow buyers detailed views of thier merchandise online.If the seller is full of [embarrassing lack of self control]-that's what EBAY Protection Services is for. When sellers-usually dealers come to "examine the merchandise"-it's simply to handle them,complain about every imagined defect-whether it actually exists or not-and in the end,refuse to pay anything but peanuts for them.And assuming after all the effort you went through to arrange the merchandise for them and make it available for them you refuse to sell it to them for thier ridiculous price-that seller will then go on every feedback forum and message board he/she can find to demean,critique and flat out slam your merchandise to other potential buyers.After that-especially if the spiteful buyer is well respected-you can't give it away.

I've seen it happen.This is why I'm so reluctant.And frankly-I don't think it's fair I have to be held to a higher standard then other EBAYers simply bc a dealer wants more control over the merchandise's price then the rules of EBAY allow.

How's THAT for honest?

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

Andrew,

To be honest, you know what I think of what you are saying.

1. You want someone to pay more than its worth and

2. You know your books are not what you are representing and you don't want someone to call you on it.

3. You want to get a dollar amount that you are happy with and ship it and wash your hands. Nevermind that the books could be misreprented or anything. You have a distinct advantage by not allowing people to view the items.

A prospective buyer may or may not do the things you are saying. However, a buyer wants to make sure that they are getting the goods they expect.

You also have to remember that you can or could be surprised by an offer. I have personally went to see a few collections and upon viewing one offered $10k and the seller had this "Your lowballing me BS kind of attitude" (like yours)

In the end, I won them off eBay for $6k and picked them up. Upon leaving his house the last thing I said to him was, "Man, too bad I couldn't of gotten these yesterday, you would of had $4k more, and I would of had the hour I wasted today back. Well, $4k an hour isn't bad. Thanks again"

I can clearly see from your feedback that you are far from a professional seller and try to gain whatever advantage you may. This whole robbery thing kind of smacks of your feedback about the item being lost in a fire. I would assume that the comics (being made of paper) would of been lost as well. Or was this a small controlled fire that was contained???? The kind that rage in the pipes in which we dream? yeahok.gif

PS: Paragraphs

Ok,HERE'S the whole truth:I WASN'T lying-but that wasn't the real reason.I can take care of myself,people don't scare me. The REAL reason? NO ONE on EBAY that I know-and I know many sellers of various items-from custom jewelry to collectible toys to textbooks-allows buyers,even local ones,to examine the merchandise before buying.The whole point of EBAY is to create a reliable forum for sellers and buyers to interchange items without EVER meeting and sellers can allow buyers detailed views of thier merchandise online.If the seller is full of [embarrassing lack of self control]-that's what EBAY Protection Services is for. When sellers-usually dealers come to "examine the merchandise"-it's simply to handle them,complain about every imagined defect-whether it actually exists or not-and in the end,refuse to pay anything but peanuts for them.And assuming after all the effort you went through to arrange the merchandise for them and make it available for them you refuse to sell it to them for thier ridiculous price-that seller will then go on every feedback forum and message board he/she can find to demean,critique and flat out slam your merchandise to other potential buyers.After that-especially if the spiteful buyer is well respected-you can't give it away.

I've seen it happen.This is why I'm so reluctant.And frankly-I don't think it's fair I have to be held to a higher standard then other EBAYers simply bc a dealer wants more control over the merchandise's price then the rules of EBAY allow.

How's THAT for honest?

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

Andrew,

2. You know your books are not what you are representing and you don't want someone to call you on it.

3. You want to get a dollar amount that you are happy with and ship it and wash your hands. Nevermind that the books could be misreprented or anything. You have a distinct advantage by not allowing people to view the items.

A prospective buyer may or may not do the things you are saying. However, a buyer wants to make sure that they are getting the goods they expect.

You also have to remember that you can or could be surprised by an offer. I have personally went to see a few collections and upon viewing one offered $10k and the seller had this "Your lowballing me BS kind of attitude" (like yours)

In the end, I won them off eBay for $6k and picked them up. Upon leaving his house the last thing I said to him was, "Man, too bad I couldn't of gotten these yesterday, you would of had $4k more, and I would of had the hour I wasted today back. Well, $4k an hour isn't bad. Thanks again"

I can clearly see from your feedback that you are far from a professional seller and try to gain whatever advantage you may. This whole robbery thing kind of smacks of your feedback about the item being lost in a fire. I would assume that the comics (being made of paper) would of been lost as well. Or was this a small controlled fire that was contained???? The kind that rage in the pipes in which we dream? yeahok.gif

I got you down for posts of the day. You were hot today. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

At least he made 3 gold..lol

How's THAT for honest?

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

Andrew,

I got you down for posts of the day. You were hot today. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

At least he made 3 gold..lol

Yeah, but the couch cleaning cost 4, and his 5 friends wouldn't give them any of theirs. 500 experience was even offered as a trade to which the friends said, "P-i-s-s off"

Dear Sellers;

Amazing.I lost a scholarship because I WOULDN'T cheat to keep my grades up when my health failed,that's how honest I am.And after 25 years as a collector,because I don't want someone to come in and brow beat me into giving the comics up for peanuts,I'm suddenly a scummy thief.

I give up.............

A.L.

How's THAT for honest?

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

You should have stuck with your first story.

Best of luck selling them,but I seriously doubt you'll sell them here.

Dear Sellers;

Amazing.I lost a scholarship because I WOULDN'T cheat to keep my grades up when my health failed,that's how honest I am.And after 25 years as a collector,because I don't want someone to come in and brow beat me into giving the comics up for peanuts,I'm suddenly a scummy thief.

I give up.............

A.L.

Well, how do you ever know they will brow beat you? What if they just want to look at them to get a better bidding perception? You have no idea what someone is going to do with the time or opportunity.

You can simply say, yes you can some see them and make an offer which I will either accept or tell you to go to eBay. It is that simple. Not allowing local bidders to look at them just leads people away from the auction.

Just tell the truth, we weren't born yesterday.

Yeah, tell the truth. Tell us that some guy came over to look at the books, you looked at him through the window and thought he was scary. Wet your pants and then ignored his knocks on the door.

Later that day, your parents came home to ask you why the books were still here and the couch was yellow. You told a story of an armed gunman with a SuperSoaker full of Cat Urine demanding you give up your graphic novels.

Then, thankfully your Dungeon and Dragon setting in the basement concluded and your 5 friends walked upstairs and asked why the Pizza Dude had a SuperSoaker and what smelled so bad. The robber realized that he was no match for 5 Warlocks and frantically ran away. He would have to wait to claim his stolen prize another day.

For your adventure, you each received 500 experience and 3 pieces of gold. You did however have to pay to have the couch cleaned.

LMAO! sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Man that is the funniest [embarrassing lack of self control] i've seen all week! Thanks for putting it all into perspective. I wish i had someone like you to fight my corner against this son of a [embarrassing lack of self control] "antiques dealer" from Michigan who screwed me over. You just tell it like it is Russ!

Oh and Andrew. I like how your story changed from 5 friends to what it is now. You have absolutely no credibility. Just like your grades, your prices and your "playing dumb" to make a sale. You are hoping to find a sucker to buy these when the truth is you are the sucker for selling them this way and everyone here can see it.

How's THAT for honest?

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

I know several car dealers, real estate sellers, rare coin dealers, and an independent that sells restored mopeds (yes, restored mopeds) that have absolutely no problem with potential buyers coming to inspect the goods in person. Most sellers I know realize that digital images do not wholly represent the item for sale and even I have had comments to the effect that the product (whether it was comics or NASCAR stuff) was better than depicted. The TRUTH is, if you have a good product and you believe in the product, having buyers come to view it in person should not be a problem. I don't think you're being held to a higher standard than anyone else participating in this forum, and if that makes you uncomfortable, perhaps you should reconsider posting here. As this whole scenario has developed, you haven't done much to present yourself or your product favorably, and you may find that many forumites may reconsider their participation in your auction.

It seems obvious that he doesn't want anyone to look at the collection in person because we have all let him know that in the hands of a real collector, all those "MINT" comics he has will be revealed to be maybe in Fine condition at best. He's basically got a bunch of common mid-grade Silver and bronze stuff and a whole heck of a lot of modern garbage. It does have value...probably as dealer stock...but for pennies on the dollar for what he wants for it. He is still holding out hope that some insufficiently_thoughtful_person on eBay will hit the still-ridiculous reserve price and bail him out of 25 years worth over-paying for his comics. sumo.gif

I made that rule after the last local people whom I allowed to come to my place for a sale of a large set of graphic novels I once had tried to rob me at knifepoint.The only reason it didn't get really ugly was that I was smart enough to have 5 friends standing by just in case.

yeahok.gif

Why not invite your 5 friends back over when Shad comes to pick up the books?

I made that rule after the last local people whom I allowed to come to my place for a sale of a large set of graphic novels I once had tried to rob me at knifepoint.The only reason it didn't get really ugly was that I was smart enough to have 5 friends standing by just in case.

yeahok.gif

Why not invite your 5 friends back over when Shad comes to pick up the books?

Hes scared

"there’s a large run of Peter David’s famous tenure on the title beginning with issue #322 (including many guest appearances, including a mint edition of issue #340, featuring Wolverine, which cannot be obtained now in this condition anywhere! )"

people who just fell off the turnip truck are usually not dropping a grand on 12 boxes of comics

"...including many guest appearances, including a mint edition of ssue #340, featuring Wolverine, which cannot be obtained now in this condition anywhere! "

people who just fell off the turnip truck are usually not dropping a grand on 12 boxes of comics

No, he's absolutely RIGHT. I just looked all around the office here at work and I couldn't find a single mint copy of Hulk #340 ANYWHERE! So obviously it is extremely rare and probably worth a gazillion dollars...or more!!!!

When sellers-usually dealers come to "examine the merchandise"-it's simply to handle them,complain about every imagined defect-whether it actually exists or not-and in the end,refuse to pay anything but peanuts for them.And assuming after all the effort you went through to arrange the merchandise for them and make it available for them you refuse to sell it to them for thier ridiculous price-that seller will then go on every feedback forum and message board he/she can find to demean,critique and flat out slam your merchandise to other potential buyers.After that-especially if the spiteful buyer is well respected-you can't give it away.

If a potential buyer doesn't want your books upon close inspection, that means they probably weren't going to be happy with them when they arrived, after buying on eBay. Why would you want that? I'm assuming you don't offer a return policy either? It's all about customer service, man. Making the customer happy. I sell on eBay the way I like to be treated when I'm a buyer. That's why I've been "lucky" enough to have zero upset customers in 10 years on eBay. I've accepted returns and sent money back, even when I didn't agree with the customer's complaint. But why would I want them to pay for something they didn't like?

(And it's one space after a comma, and two after a period. Makes you look smarter.)

When sellers-usually dealers come to "examine the merchandise"-it's simply to handle them,complain about every imagined defect-whether it actually exists or not-and in the end,refuse to pay anything but peanuts for them.And assuming after all the effort you went through to arrange the merchandise for them and make it available for them you refuse to sell it to them for thier ridiculous price-that seller will then go on every feedback forum and message board he/she can find to demean,critique and flat out slam your merchandise to other potential buyers.After that-especially if the spiteful buyer is well respected-you can't give it away.

If a potential buyer doesn't want your books upon close inspection, that means they probably weren't going to be happy with them when they arrived, after buying on eBay. Why would you want that? I'm assuming you don't offer a return policy either? It's all about customer service, man. Making the customer happy. I sell on eBay the way I like to be treated when I'm a buyer. That's why I've been "lucky" enough to have zero upset customers in 10 years on eBay. I've accepted returns and sent money back, even when I didn't agree with the customer's complaint. But why would I want them to pay for something they didn't like?

(And it's one space after a comma, and two after a period. Makes you look smarter.)

one would think that if one had quality merchandise to sell, that one would be delighted to show said merch to anyone who might be interested. having nothing to hide regarding condition allows for a good deal of confidence in the reaction of prospective buyers.

it would seem reasonable to assume, then, that one who might be fearful of allowing pre-sale inspections would be that way because his merchandise isn't exactly "quality," despite voluminous reassurances to that effect

Sweet, now I can look smarter. thumbsup2.gif

Sweet, now I can look smarter. thumbsup2.gif

Yeesh, that "two spaces after a period" was from the old typewriter days, and current fonts have deleted that requirement decades ago. I mean, open a book - one space, read a magazine - one space.

If you want to look like an old fogey, feel free to insert two "typewriter spaces" after each sentence. 27_laughing.gif

Well, we created the language and i have never heard anywhere of this "two spaces after a period" nonsense! I also assume by "period" you guys are not referring to a woman's menstrual cycle but rather a full stop!