• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re:Trying again............................

225 posts in this topic

Now look at this:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/comicseller/DSC02991.jpg

Look closely and tell me what the difference between MY copy and Rob's that has been CGC graded is. You got it-his has been OFFICIALLY graded.It's like the difference between someone who got top honors with his PHD in physics at SUNY Stonybrook and someone at Yale who just squeaked by because his daddy donated a new building.We know who's getting that job at IBM before they even begin the interview unless the Yalie shows up stoned and vomits on the interviewer's lap.It's about PEDIGREE and REP. I can't believe so many collectors have bought into the mystique of the CGC. I suppose it's partly the fault of the old comic shops in the 1980's and early 1990's,who played so fast and loose with grading to line thier pockets for so long. As usual,it's the have-nots who ended up getting the shaft in the end.

Andrew L.

No offense, but yours looks like a pile of dog poop in a bag. If you really can't tell the difference between yours and his, then you shouldn't even be here.

I am sorry but CGC has made it harder for goofbag sellers like you to say its a NM with crappy little pictures like that. It is so obvious (to someone who knows comics) that yours is probably around a VG/F (being a 5.0 where as his is a 9.4). However, because you don't know the market, and have a firm relationship with your books you automatically think yours are GOLD because they are "YOURS"

Sellers like you can no longer stand behind the whole, "It's subjective" [embarrassing lack of self control]. Quite simply there are things that are not allowed in certain grades and 2 pieces missing is certainly not allow in NM.

Andrew.

What Russ(Comicsupply) states is a pretty accurate acount of things IMHO.

I will try to help you out a bit in way of providing you a link to an internet grading tool that will hopefully give you some feedback as to the actual grade of your comics.

This website requires you to be honest with what you actually see as defects on your comics.

Give it a try and see what answers you come up with. If you are proven to be out with your grading feel free to be honest about your mistake. People around here respect someone with balls enough to admit when they're wrong.

Anyway, here is the link.

Internet grading site (e-bigs)

Hope to hear from you with some results soon.

Russ...

Now look at this:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/comicseller/DSC02991.jpg

Look closely and tell me what the difference between MY copy and Rob's that has been CGC graded is. You got it-his has been OFFICIALLY graded.It's like the difference between someone who got top honors with his PHD in physics at SUNY Stonybrook and someone at Yale who just squeaked by because his daddy donated a new building.We know who's getting that job at IBM before they even begin the interview unless the Yalie shows up stoned and vomits on the interviewer's lap.It's about PEDIGREE and REP. I can't believe so many collectors have bought into the mystique of the CGC. I suppose it's partly the fault of the old comic shops in the 1980's and early 1990's,who played so fast and loose with grading to line thier pockets for so long. As usual,it's the have-nots who ended up getting the shaft in the end.

Andrew L.

Andrew, you are too funny.

I have a lot to learn about grading but you obviously know nothing. Your copy has flaws all over it and we aren't even seeing a really good scan. If you can't see that, you need serious help my man.

Look closely and tell me what the difference between MY copy and Rob's that has been CGC graded is. You got it-his has been OFFICIALLY graded.It's like the difference between someone who got top honors with his PHD in physics at SUNY Stonybrook and someone at Yale who just squeaked by because his daddy donated a new building.We know who's getting that job at IBM before they even begin the interview unless the Yalie shows up stoned and vomits on the interviewer's lap.It's about PEDIGREE and REP.

Just to be clear: in this metaphor, your copy of Tales to Astonish is the one "getting top honors with a PHD in physics at SUNY Stonybrook"?

Post of the year... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow, if you can't tell the difference between the 2 comics, then you really can't grade. They aren't even close! Not only is the bottom corner missing (HUGE defect....HUGE!!), but the entire bottom edge shows many flaws. I see a few more that Richnerd didn't circle. (Top edge doesn't look straight...)

I think when uninformed graders grade their own comic, they're looking for major creases and wrinkles, and miss smaller defects that have a huge impact on grade. I agree, your comic is flat and relatively wrinkle free, and if it weren't for a handful of tiny flaws, would be high grade. But the fact remains that it does have a handful of smaller flaws (well, the missing corner is big).

I'd say yours is a VG/F (5.0) to F (6.0), but most will say I'm being kind. I'm not sure a 6.0 can be missing a 1/4" triangle at the corner. If it's just folded under, it would grade higher. Definitley not a NM 9.4. Even if the corner isn't missing, it doesn't look like your corners are as sharp as the 9.4. Non-missing corners that are ever so slightly rounded (not razor sharp) knocks it down to an 8.5 or so. Look how sharp the corners are on the 9.4. Yeah, you have to be THAT picky when grading.

It's like the difference between someone who got top honors with his PHD in physics at SUNY Stonybrook and someone at Yale who just squeaked by because his daddy donated a new building.We know who's getting that job at IBM before they even begin the interview unless the Yalie shows up stoned and vomits on the interviewer's lap.It's about PEDIGREE and REP.

I'm sorry, but this whacky illustration made me think of Tommy Boy..."How do you know the tooth fairy isn't some crazy glue-sniffer. 'Buildin' model air planes,' he tells them. Well I'm not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, thats all it takes. Next thing you know you got money missing off your dresser drawer and your daughter's knocked up."

I'd say yours is a VG/F (5.0) to F (6.0), but most will say I'm being kind. I'm not sure a 6.0 can be missing a 1/4" triangle at the corner.

Yep, you're being kind. The missing triangle piece is only allowed in VG, not even in VG/FN.

I stand corrected (don't have my grading guide with me, nor have I memorized every defect allowed). VG 4.0 it is! Almost a 9.4. 27_laughing.gif

Wow, if you can't tell the difference between the 2 comics, then you really can't grade. They aren't even close! Not only is the bottom corner missing (HUGE defect....HUGE!!), but the entire bottom edge shows many flaws. I see a few more that Richnerd didn't circle. (Top edge doesn't look straight...)

I think when uninformed graders grade their own comic, they're looking for major creases and wrinkles, and miss smaller defects that have a huge impact on grade. I agree, your comic is flat and relatively wrinkle free, and if it weren't for a handful of tiny flaws, would be high grade. But the fact remains that it does have a handful of smaller flaws (well, the missing corner is big).

I'd say yours is a VG/F (5.0) to F (6.0), but most will say I'm being kind. I'm not sure a 6.0 can be missing a 1/4" triangle at the corner. If it's just folded under, it would grade higher. Definitley not a NM 9.4. Even if the corner isn't missing, it doesn't look like your corners are as sharp as the 9.4. Non-missing corners that are ever so slightly rounded (not razor sharp) knocks it down to an 8.5 or so. Look how sharp the corners are on the 9.4. Yeah, you have to be THAT picky when grading.

Yea I did this at like 1am so I was just pointing out some obvious. I would like to see the back side too. It might bring it back up to a 9.4 makepoint.gif

I think the temporary increase in comics due to movies (i.e. Spiderman, Ra's Al Ghul, Ghost Rider, Hellboy) and their eventual drop back to reality, has lessened the impact comic movies have on comic prices these days. People have learned their lesson.

Venom anyone?

Well, remember alot of books are listed at NM. There are too many pics to look at each one. Took me 15 min just to find the TTA #59, they're not in any order. If the books were the condition he's listed them as, $500 is a steal! I don't know if I blame the seller for misleading the customer, or the customer for bidding without proof of grade. Buyer beware.

When and if he sells them the buyer will have alot of issues with him if he pays $1,000 or more and thinks he is getting NM books. Most of his books appear to be VG's and he really should point that out in the auctiuon . Seriosuly the buyer of these books ( Depending what they pay) is gonna have a shjitxzzz fit when he opens the box. ANd thats saying they get to the buyer in one piece, It is so hard to ship 12 long boxes. You try to tape up the long boxes and the corners get bent.This auction is a no win for the seller and buyer. And I feel bad for the seller , I do as he has a collection that he has been collecting for 20 years only to realize its value is less than $1000 and he paid $10,000 for them. Never buy comics as an investment. Unless its GA or SA keys in VF or better you will never make your cash back. Collect comics because you enjoy them . ANd hope if you have to sell them you get 25% of your money back one day. Or list them as NM and get more.

When and if he sells them the buyer will have alot of issues with him if he pays $1,000 or more and thinks he is getting NM books. Most of his books appear to be VG's and he really should point that out in the auctiuon . Seriosuly the buyer of these books ( Depending what they pay) is gonna have a shjitxzzz fit when he opens the box. ANd thats saying they get to the buyer in one piece, It is so hard to ship 12 long boxes. You try to tape up the long boxes and the corners get bent.This auction is a no win for the seller and buyer. And I feel bad for the seller , I do as he has a collection that he has been collecting for 20 years only to realize its value is less than $1000 and he paid $10,000 for them. Never buy comics as an investment. Unless its GA or SA keys in VF or better you will never make your cash back. Collect comics because you enjoy them . ANd hope if you have to sell them you get 25% of your money back one day. Or list them as NM and get more.

And if you pick up a book today for $2 and its worth $50 tomorrow, SELL IT!! Becasue the next day it will only be worth .05 cent.