• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re:Trying again............................

225 posts in this topic

I'd say yours is a VG/F (5.0) to F (6.0), but most will say I'm being kind. I'm not sure a 6.0 can be missing a 1/4" triangle at the corner.

Yep, you're being kind. The missing triangle piece is only allowed in VG, not even in VG/FN.

It's a fine point, but I disagree a bit. I think a 5.0 is still possible, although extremely improbable, with a sub .25" triangle out. Given a 9.4, and take that corner off, and 5.0 is probably the most you can pray for, interpreting it as a well-rounded corner. (The book in question looks like a 4.0 to me as well, though.)

Strictly going by the OGG front cover pieces are not allowed until into the 2.0 range (if I remember correctly). There is a blurred line between "piece missing" and "well-rounded corner" and no one knows where that line begins and ends at CGC. Do they? Do you have some inside info from CGC on their grading standards House????poke2.gif

Ha Ha Ha.

am I the only one who thinks this guy is most likely a scumbag who is knowingly peddling his [embarrassing lack of self control]?

No, only a true fan would've written that loving description of the Byrne OMAC miniseries in the original auction description.

Psionics. cloud9.gif

I like ck's "well-rounded" joke about the missing corner piece. I was just going straight off the OGG as corner pieces (at least up to 1/4") seem to be treated differently than actual pieces out.

Marc

This was in my local paper yesterday and it made me think of this thread. It has a quote from Joe Field but it's about cards, not comics, and how all the people who bought tons of cards 15 years ago are now trying to sell them by the car-load but there are no buyers.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...001&sc=1000

Thats a great artice. My brother is/was a card collector. Baseball and basketball mostly. He had all the big cards in the 80 and early 90's . Probally $20K easy in cards. I told him back when he got married to sell. Was about 15 years ago . He said no and now he has boxes of junk. Most hot or collectible stuff loses its value fast. I still remember a friends who asked me if it was a good idea to invest in 3 Image gold foil comics. Limited edition. Store owner told him it was a great investment at $275 . (this was early 90's)I told him "HELL NO" but foolio still did it and put them in is Saftey Deposit box screwy.gif. Comics still there and comic store owner is still there but those comics are now worthless. I stayed away from the Sports cards of the 80's , The Image and Valiant and variants of the 90's and the CGC modern collecting of the 2000's . Good mid to high grade SA and BA for me. Not that I collect to invest but it nice to know they keep there value.

On this seller. I dont think he is a bad guy. He sounded just like me when I got back into it 15 years ago. Looked up all my books from the 70's I had as a kid. Guided in the thousands , maybe $1,200. Went to Jim Haney comics store in Staten Island NY and told they would give me $50. Tops. They were all mid grade issue and nothing special. ( Insrtead I wound up purchasing $100 worth of books) He saw he had $10,0000 (Guide) in comics and figured he needed moneya and if he can get $5 or $6 K for them . Now he learned a harsh reality. I give him credit for taking his lumps here. Mayeb he will keep the books when they dont sell and keep collecting .

"As Joe Field, owner and founder of the landmark Flying Colors comic and card store in Concord, says, we should never underestimate the tendency of "adults to abscond with kids' fun.""

What I've been saying for years - the easiest way to totally destroy a hobby is to let adults take it over.

On this seller. I dont think he is a bad guy. He sounded just like me when I got back into it 15 years ago. Looked up all my books from the 70's I had as a kid. Guided in the thousands , maybe $1,200. Went to Jim Haney comics store in Staten Island NY and told they would give me $50. Tops. They were all mid grade issue and nothing special. ( Insrtead I wound up purchasing $100 worth of books) He saw he had $10,0000 (Guide) in comics and figured he needed moneya and if he can get $5 or $6 K for them . Now he learned a harsh reality. I give him credit for taking his lumps here. Mayeb he will keep the books when they dont sell and keep collecting .

I agree. I think it might have sunk in what the true market value of his collection is, the next huge step will be for him to learn how to grade. If he REALLY can't see any difference between that CGC 9.4 and his copy, then there is probably no hope! makepoint.gif

not really, If he still can come on here and say there is no difference in those 2 books, and the famous quote of finding a sucker. What if that sucker is a friend of yours? People tried to help the guy out and he still decides to be one of the scammers on ebay with false advertising on his stuff. This is just one of those times where we get a chance to talk to the guy of one of the auctions that would normally be posted in comics general with a title of " Can you believe this Ebay insufficiently_thoughtful_person he thinks these books are NM"

First of all,the "sucker" comment was said in sarcasm and at one point I SAID so.Second-I'm willing to take all your garbage simply bc of all the idiotic comments I made earlier in a desperate attempt to justify protecting my investment.The reality is-if you must know and I don't care who believes me or not-my father just passed away and selling everything that isn't nailed down is my only prayer of finishing my bachelor's in mathematics and applying to graduate school.Those comics were my only chance and now I'm being told they're worthless,basically-that I got taken for 25 years od my life.

Just don't make me the villian here-I dare any of you to tell me with a straight face if you don't have a vested interest in picking up a ton of comics cheap so you could slab the jewels-which most of us average collectors can't afford to do-and TRIPLE your profit.Me-I was just looking to break even.I'm not even gonna do THAT.

So forgive me for being a little pissed.

A.L.

I dont think he is misrepresenting his auctions on purpose. I think he is truley believed his books were NM. Hey atleast he has the ballzzzz to face us here even he does keep putting his foot in his mouth. Only thing that annoyed me is that after we informed him that his books are far from NM he never changed it in his auction . Why i keep saying "If they sell" there could be issues when the buyer recieved them. Odds are this is what will happen. Seller will pay. Will recieve books. WIll get pissed when he realizes they are VG and FInes and Email for compensation. Seller will say NO or just not reply, Then things will get ugly.

Seller should put in his auction that REFUNDS ARE ALLOWED or NO REFUNDS so the buyers know.

Still I give the seller Credit for coming here and putting up with getting called names and not lashing out Even if those names are deserved.

Andrew sorry for your lose. Really.

LEt me look at your comments here.

First of all,the "sucker" comment was said in sarcasm and at one point I SAID so.Second-I'm willing to take all your garbage simply bc of all the idiotic comments I made earlier in a desperate attempt to justify protecting my investment.The reality is-if you must know and I don't care who believes me or not-my father just passed away and selling everything that isn't nailed down is my only prayer of finishing my bachelor's in mathematics and applying to graduate school.Those comics were my only chance and now I'm being told they're worthless,basically-that I got taken for 25 years od my life.

This I believe. I think you said sucker in jest and was sarcastic and I can tell you were hoping to pay for school with the money from the comics. But unfortunatly this is unrealistic.You thought you can get alot for them and you are mad .Here is my tip. tough love here but just my opinion. Take the reserve off of your auction. Take what you an get $500-600 Get away from these books. If you dont sell them they you will never look at then the same way again. They are now a disapointment .You can wait 20 years and there value will not change much so dump them and move on.

Just don't make me the villian here-I dare any of you to tell me with a straight face if you don't have a vested interest in picking up a ton of comics cheap so you could slab the jewels-which most of us average collectors can't afford to do-and TRIPLE your profit.Me-I was just looking to break even.I'm not even gonna do THAT.

This is again were you put your foot in your mouth . Calling ( I know in jest) your comics Jewels ( I know they are jewels to you) and calling all of us sneaky will just get you more grief here. Just being real .

So forgive me for being a little pissed.

You have a right to be as every person who thinks that they have a fortune in comics and sports cards and then reality sets in. It a bill of good we have been sold since we are kids. Comics and Sports cards can put you through college and are good to fund retirement. The anger will subside and you will move on.

Again Andrew, I am so sorry for your lose and hope you get the resevrve on your books.

Dear Spider;

I agree.So check the revised listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270015928150

It MAY kill the auction-but at least my butt's been covered for complete honesty and no one can say later they weren't warned.

A.L.

Should not kill the auction. You need to cover yourself. DO you want someone to say they are returning 12 long boxes back to you and then get Pay Pal and Ebay to try to get there money back including shipping.