• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re:Trying again............................

225 posts in this topic

Well, anything sounds bad if you list every single action that goes along with it. I don't like to make dinner because I have to:

1. Decide what to eat

2. Walk to the kitchen

3. Open the fridge

4. Grab the first item

5. Put it on the counter

6. Go back to the fridge

7. Pick up the 2nd item

Get my point? I know of many Power Sellers who make a living by selling $10 items on eBay, so it can work. I agree somewhat, I like to keep my ASPs as high as possible. I won't sell anything for less than $5, because after fees and the cost of the item, you're not making money. But with every $10 sale, you keep $8 after eBay and PayPal fees. So assuming you paid less than $8 per item, you're making a profit.

I would like to buy powerseller's lot for about $500, and sell it in $10 lots. But he's not selling it for $500.

I think your really overlooking the time factor for selling on ebay. Executing those actions you note involved in making dinner takes about 10 sec. And FWIW, I lived in San Antonio for 2 years and not once made lunch or dinner because for $5 I could get a great meal at any of the one thousand food joints in town (ask bubbagump). And cleanup was a snap!

To me the only way MANY $10 listings are worth it is if you have some kind of high throughput system for listing. Of course, if you enjoy the process of ebay selling (I recognize some do), then it's a moot issue. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here is a college book story.

This is going to sound awful but back in college I suported my self (well Beer money) by over charging my dad for books. (I told him about it years later and he just laughed)

After the first time buying books I would save the price stickers. Paid cash and the college of SI never gave a receipt. SO I would save the $100 stickers and stuff and the next semester I would buy books and say a book was $35 . I would change the sticker to $100. SO if the books cost me $200 . I would tell my dad they were $400 . He would add up the stickers and i would give him the change (he would give me $500 cash) I then has beer money for a month or two. I also worked in the summer at Kmart (Etc) and saved a few hundred but this was supplemental income. Hey he thought it was funny when I told him years later.Once I got a job and was making money I offered to pay him back but he said no way and then nicely paid off my $6,000 credit card bill I had run up ( Yes some of that was comcis).

And your current profession is...? poke2.gif

Accountant for a Bank but soon to be unemployed. I went straight into the banking world in Manhattan. After 15 years of traveling 1 1/2 from Staten Island (Then NJ) I decieded that now that I had a family and a 4 year old at home I wanted to be closer to them so I took a job at a small bank in NJ and took a $20K decrease in pay. Family is more inportant to me than money. It was good at first ( had an extra $200 left over after the bills every pay check) but then the car broke down( I owned it) had to lease a new one at $250 a month. Property taxes went up about $100 a month (Thats NJ for ya) Gas went up.Sons school tuitiion went up. and sudenly we are going into debt. Now I may lose my job so maybe it didnt work out too well but I will never regret this year. I usually was home from Manhattan at 8pm and i was home by 5:00 every day. Made every one of my sons Tball games , woudl go to the beach with the family after work.In the pool every night. Awsome year of my life. Was a great year. No regrets. Now reality sets in. and I possibly can lose my house real fast if I dotn get a new job QUICK.(No money left int the bank and unemployment will only cover a 1/3 of my bills) Started the search and I may wind up back in Manhattan.

Before I made the job move I had convinced the wife to move to PA. (I also wanted to move to NC, Delaware or Virginia) We were selling the house and taking the $120K profit with us. Then look for work out in PA. Had a real estate agent in PA, a head hunter seting up interviews for me but at the last minute my wife changed her mind and we stayed .We then Refinanced the mortgage (added credit card debt to the new amount) got a home equiity loan to build a deck, redo some rooms. Now we have only about $60K equity in the house so the window to move is gone.

My next step is (if I get laid off) is to take out a hardship withdrawl on my 401K . I have $60K in there so maye a $30K withdrawl which will be 3-4 months of bills. Just not sure what the rules are for that. Hopefully I will not be unemployed too long.

Only a small window of time to enjoy your kids, then it's gone forever.

Dang straight, and along with reading, playing games and watching movies with them every night, I take 1 day off a week to take care of them. It can be tough, as I still have the same workload, but it can pay huge dividends.

Just last night, when I was putting my 2-year old to sleep, she reached up and gave me a big hug and said "You're my best daddy ever!' And today, my wife was out with the kids shopping, and they forced her to call home on the cel phone to see if I was alright and say that they missed me.

No amount of money can buy that. thumbsup2.gif

You're right-it DOES sound awful,Spider.My dad would have asked me to leave and never come back during CHRISTMAS DINNER if I'd told him I'd done something like that..............

Of course,since dad had to quit all his jobs when the cancer struck and his pension was half what it should have been at retirement,I ended up giving most of that money to my family for food money.I didn't have a steady job at the time,either.My brothers STILL tell thier fiancees I'm a bum-after they had full time jobs at the time and refused to give ONE DIME. My parents never got angry or hurt with them-for fear they'd leave and never come back.And people ask me why I'm an athiest.............

In any event,my auction is now frozen at 510 bucks after I told everyone no refunds.As I said-killed the auction.Still,it's on 37 watch lists with more then a day to go.

Still hoping for a run at the reserve in the last 2 hours...........

Andrew L.

Dang straight, and along with reading, playing games and watching movies with them every night, I take 1 day off a week to take care of them. It can be tough, as I still have the same workload, but it can pay huge dividends.

Just last night, when I was putting my 2-year old to sleep, she reached up and gave me a big hug and said "You're my best daddy ever!' And today, my wife was out with the kids shopping, and they forced her to call home on the cel phone to see if I was alright and say that they missed me.

My boys are 14 and 11 and it goes way to fast. That is why I left the Post Office so I didn't have to work 6 days a week and not get home till 6 pm. I work now mon-fri 6-2:30 get to pick them up from school and we have bonding time till Mom gets home at 6pm.

Had a cool thing happen to me the other day, my youngest son went to his friends house for the night me and my older one went and picked up a few movies. Just as the pizza arrived the door bell rang and 3 of Andrews friends wanted him to go to the park and play ball. He said no I'm gonna chill with my Dad and watch movies. One of the best movies night I ever had with my son. thumbsup2.gif

In any event,my auction is now frozen at 510 bucks after I told everyone no refunds.

With all due respect, it was frozen at $510 long before you added that disclaimer. Not trying to cut you down, just stating the obvious.

You alluded to the reserve as being "grand" and if so, then why not try it with a $1K BIN as well as a reserve?

In any event,my auction is now frozen at 510 bucks after I told everyone no refunds.

With all due respect, it was frozen at $510 long before you added that disclaimer. Not trying to cut you down, just stating the obvious.

You alluded to the reserve as being "grand" and if so, then why not try it with a $1K BIN as well as a reserve?

Duh JC, because it might get $1001.... smile.gif

My boys are 14 and 11 and it goes way to fast. That is why I left the Post Office so I didn't have to work 6 days a week and not get home till 6 pm. I work now mon-fri 6-2:30 get to pick them up from school and we have bonding time till Mom gets home at 6pm.

Had a cool thing happen to me the other day, my youngest son went to his friends house for the night me and my older one went and picked up a few movies. Just as the pizza arrived the door bell rang and 3 of Andrews friends wanted him to go to the park and play ball. He said no I'm gonna chill with my Dad and watch movies. One of the best movies night I ever had with my son. thumbsup2.gif

Good Stuff Rich

Could have been the Bridges of Madison Countyand i bet it still would have been the best movie ever.

Since I will be out all day tomorrow I rented 2 star wars cartoons(CLone wars and Droids) and me and my son spent 3 hours watching them. (I gave up preseason football but it was worth it) Was a nice day and tonight we are having a sleep out in the Den on the floor. We all it a camp out.

So RIch what job is it you have or it it your comic book business??

The funny part of the College book story was that my Mom was in on it. I used to throw her a few bucks. lol. ANd this is even worse but twice when my dad took a shower she would grab his wallet and split a $20 . lol we told him also years later and he had a good laugh again. My dad has a good sense of humor and taught me not to be so concerned about money so I think he knew and just never said anything.

So RIch what job is it you have or it it your comic book business??

My official uncle sam business is purchasing agent for J.O. Mory.

When I left the post office I went back to college and got a multimedia degree specializing in 3D models and animation , then picked up web design as an extra.

I wanted bad to get into making movies like toy story , but every job offer I had was taking me back away from my boys and wife. So I decided to open my own shop and do web design while also selling my 3D models. But when I put in my 2 weeks at J.O. Mory they pulled out their wallets and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. SO I work there full time and do a ton of freelance work when the wife and kids go to bed. And now add Bidoncomics on top of that.

Oh and staying at J.O. Mory and doing freelance is helping to pay off mine and my wifes student loans. Wish I would of went to school right out of high school so my parents would of flipped the bill. foreheadslap.gif

$500 in one shot or $1,000 in 100 shots,with multiple trips to the Post Office and rounding up shipping materials. I'd rather deliver pizzas,if those were my only choices.

You're too rich to appreciate 100 different $10 sales? I'd love to have the inventory to sell $10 comics all day long. Some people like eBaying, and others don't, I guess.

Its not that at all.

Its that moving all the books once and making $500 is a much more productive use of time than running an addtional 99 auctions,packing them up and making multiple trips to the post office.

How much time do you think it would be,in terms of hours of your time to do 100 auctions,start to finish?25? 50?How much gas you going to spend on it?

If you think its worth while,PM me,maybe we can work out a consignment deal.

$500 in one shot or $1,000 in 100 shots,with multiple trips to the Post Office and rounding up shipping materials. I'd rather deliver pizzas,if those were my only choices.

You're too rich to appreciate 100 different $10 sales? I'd love to have the inventory to sell $10 comics all day long. Some people like eBaying, and others don't, I guess.

Its not that at all.

Its that moving all the books once and making $500 is a much more productive use of time than running an addtional 99 auctions,packing them up and making multiple trips to the post office.

How much time do you think it would be,in terms of hours of your time to do 100 auctions,start to finish?25? 50?How much gas you going to spend on it?

100 auctions, start to finish, about 15 hours. One auction of 500 books, start to finish, about 1 hour.

Its not that at all.

100 auctions, start to finish, about 15 hours. One auction of 500 books, start to finish, about 1 hour.

FD-

that's YOU doing it (I know you have the system down), at about 9 min an auction. And frankly if that is more than just listing it on ebay that's quite an accomplishment. With scan already in hand it takes me almost that much time on average to list one auction. Then if it sells the packaging and mailing take at least 9 min more. tongue.gif

Andrew if your tired of the stress of dealing with them do as someone here said and take the top offer. If you want to sell with out ebay fees offer it here to someone for the top bid. There might just be someone here that will take it for the $560.. But if you want to keep dealing with them split them up and make sure to get help with the grading. I'm sure alot of people didn't bid due to your idea of NM. If you don't want to do 100 auctions split them by title or gold/silver/bronze. Good luck.