Re:Trying again............................
0

225 posts in this topic

37,595 posts
That looks like my old buddies squat … and he was a heroin addict.

 

I'm wondering what that *thing* is behind the box, in the middle of the pic - a human head? insane.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37,595 posts
Just keep them, Andrew. Obviously, they mean alot to you. You're only willing to part with them for an amount that you are just not going get. Keep them and continue enjoying them. thumbsup2.gif

 

I agree with this, and that's what I've done with my childhood baseball and hockey card collection. I bought them for 20-cents a pack, so I'm not exactly vested in the biz grin.gif, but since I missed the big speculative run-up, I would much rather just keep them than sell for what they are currently bringing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,092 posts
I do feel bad for the guy. I've seen it before. Friends have had me appraise their basketball card collections, after telling me they hope to retire on them.

 

I can hardly wait for another 10 years to pass, and have these same "types" ask me what their CGC comics are worth. 27_laughing.gif

 

What do you mean by this Joe? I'm sure I'm just not getting your point but it sounds like you are suggesting that CGC comics will decrease in value across the board. Please enlighten me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,121 posts

 

This is not the first time I have seen this . I had friends of friends tell me that they have expensive comics that they are going to sell when they retire and ask me to have a look . When I see copies of Superman 75 and Xmen 1 ( 1990's) and they point out "all 4 covers" and then there are 200-400 drek of the 90's then the coup de grace " Northstar comes out of the closet" "first gay super hero" must be worth a fortune now. Then I tell them there collection has a value of $10 and they either A tell me I am a jerk or B tell me I want to fleece them of there kids inheritence.

 

Same thing with sports cards . Got friends of friends with shaq rookies and Griffey JR rookies ( the one that was worth $150 at one time) and when I tell them it is worthless I almost get decked.

 

Have to comment on that picture of those boxes. Is that really a pic of his comics. My goodness , did he put that on Ebay. If I saw that I would not bid one cent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
63 posts

I knew that damn pic was going to be trouble.I had just been in the process of organizing them for sale and rather then set them up nice and neat as I'd had them for YEARS in the longboxes,I raced and put that pic up.I knew it was a mistake when I did it.The comics were NOT kept in that condition-they have only been like that for 2 weeks before the post.Of course,no one will believe that now that that pic's been plastered all over the web,now,right?!?

I did everything wrong here,it's becoming painfully clear.Should have just posted the individual pics.............

A.L.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,121 posts

Definetly dump that pic. It does not help much. Hurts actually. I am sure it does not represent how your books have been kept for 20 years but anyone looking would think that they were kept thrown all over a basement.

 

And I kiow you cant revise it now but that LOOOOOOOONG narrative at the begining should not be. After reading the second paragraph I was gone. Just say I got books , mention a few keys and show the pics. I give you credit , you show alot of books and took time to take pics of lots of books so even thought you overgraded books atleast the viewer can see what is up and make an opinion.

 

You up to $300 not bad but ( and I am NOT trying to make fun of you) it will never hit the reserve unless a some kid bids with daddys account and then cant pay.

happened to me. I see this hitting $450 or so maybe $500.

 

Andrew no matter what happens you will probally be disapointed as you spent alot on this auction with fees for pics and etc.

 

Smart idea if it does not sell might be list it here . Just the books not the narrative and see if any of the guys here want to take a look . cost you nothing and maybe get you $500-$600 . Better than nothing

 

It is just the reality of it. I recently sold a ASM collection from the 70's and 80's . Guide was over $1,500 . Know what it sold for. $250 and this included issues such as ASM 252, 298 299 300 , 361 , PP # 1 and tons of early PP , MTU and ASM.

 

Unless you have the keys you will never get much when you sell comic book collections. Ever. ( we are not talking about CGC 9.6 stuff , just Raw).

 

You have some interesting books in mid grade but you dont have any keys so it a important collection to guess who...................You , no one else . But since you need the money you should take the first $500 offer and run.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37,595 posts
What do you mean by this Joe? I'm sure I'm just not getting your point but it sounds like you are suggesting that CGC comics will decrease in value across the board. Please enlighten me.

 

Hey, I'm just stating that whatever the "hot collectible" of any era is, it tends to cool off over the longer-term, settling back into its pre-speculator pricing patterns. And yes, I do see 99% of CGC comics dropping in price over the next 10 years, with a best-case scenario for the other 1% being consistent pricing.

 

What gets me about comics is that we're in a "perfect storm" scenario here, with CGC, EBay, comic book movies, a low US dollar and other factors that have helped fuel an unprecedented speculative run-up. No one could have created a more perfect, albeit temporary, environment to drive comic book sales upward.

 

But where I laugh is when people state that "comics are at the ground floor" and "we have no where to go but up"? screwy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,092 posts
What do you mean by this Joe? I'm sure I'm just not getting your point but it sounds like you are suggesting that CGC comics will decrease in value across the board. Please enlighten me.

 

Hey, I'm just stating that whatever the "hot collectible" of any era is, it tends to cool off over the longer-term, settling back into its pre-speculator pricing patterns. And yes, I do see 99% of CGC comics dropping in price over the next 10 years, with a best-case scenario for the other 1% being consistent pricing.

 

What gets me about comics is that we're in a "perfect storm" scenario here, with CGC, EBay, comic book movies, a low US dollar and other factors that have helped fuel an unprecedented speculative run-up. No one could have created a more perfect, albeit temporary, environment to drive comic book sales upward.

 

But where I laugh is when people state that "comics are at the ground floor" and "we have no where to go but up"? screwy.gif

 

Would it be fair to interpret your 1% as Gold and Silver age keys?

 

So are you saying that we will see flat pricing on these issues over the long term with no appreciation?

 

Thanks Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,440 posts
What do you mean by this Joe? I'm sure I'm just not getting your point but it sounds like you are suggesting that CGC comics will decrease in value across the board. Please enlighten me.

 

Hey, I'm just stating that whatever the "hot collectible" of any era is, it tends to cool off over the longer-term, settling back into its pre-speculator pricing patterns. And yes, I do see 99% of CGC comics dropping in price over the next 10 years, with a best-case scenario for the other 1% being consistent pricing.

 

What gets me about comics is that we're in a "perfect storm" scenario here, with CGC, EBay, comic book movies, a low US dollar and other factors that have helped fuel an unprecedented speculative run-up. No one could have created a more perfect, albeit temporary, environment to drive comic book sales upward.

 

But where I laugh is when people state that "comics are at the ground floor" and "we have no where to go but up"? screwy.gif

 

Would it be fair to interpret your 1% as Gold and Silver age keys?

 

So are you saying that we will see flat pricing on these issues over the long term with no appreciation?

 

Thanks Joe

 

And this is what others on the board think will happen popcorn.gif

 

Results from 85 people on a similar question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,121 posts

I am sort of in agreement with Joe here but maybe let's start a seperate thread on the topic.

Poor guy is trying to sell his books in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,092 posts
What do you mean by this Joe? I'm sure I'm just not getting your point but it sounds like you are suggesting that CGC comics will decrease in value across the board. Please enlighten me.

 

Hey, I'm just stating that whatever the "hot collectible" of any era is, it tends to cool off over the longer-term, settling back into its pre-speculator pricing patterns. And yes, I do see 99% of CGC comics dropping in price over the next 10 years, with a best-case scenario for the other 1% being consistent pricing.

 

What gets me about comics is that we're in a "perfect storm" scenario here, with CGC, EBay, comic book movies, a low US dollar and other factors that have helped fuel an unprecedented speculative run-up. No one could have created a more perfect, albeit temporary, environment to drive comic book sales upward.

 

But where I laugh is when people state that "comics are at the ground floor" and "we have no where to go but up"? screwy.gif

 

Would it be fair to interpret your 1% as Gold and Silver age keys?

 

So are you saying that we will see flat pricing on these issues over the long term with no appreciation?

 

Thanks Joe

 

And this is what others on the board think will happen popcorn.gif

 

Results from 85 people on a similar question

 

Thanks for the link Russ! thumbsup2.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
63 posts

Thanks for all the advice and ridicule(I really had it coming,so I can't really squawk too loud about it...........).I'm advertising for the listing at every message board and group dedicated to buying/selling comics I can find on the web.Bidding stopped cold,but there are at last count 32 watch lists it's on.Nothing can be done now except wait until closing and see if fate smiles on me.

I read vintage jewelry is hot as solar plasma on EBAY right now.Go figure...........

Just curious while I'm here:Has the new Superman movie-which I liked immensely,despite its flaws-generated any resurgence of interest in Man Of Steel titles from what you guys can see?

Andrew L.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,833 posts
Has the new Superman movie-which I liked immensely,despite its flaws-generated any resurgence of interest in Man Of Steel titles from what you guys can see?

Andrew L.

 

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,632 posts

I think the temporary increase in comics due to movies (i.e. Spiderman, Ra's Al Ghul, Ghost Rider, Hellboy) and their eventual drop back to reality, has lessened the impact comic movies have on comic prices these days. People have learned their lesson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,632 posts

Now here's a NM Tales To Astonish #59!!

RAD20760200689_231643.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37,595 posts
And this is what others on the board think will happen popcorn.gif

 

Wow, when you really look deeply at those numbers (even though the methodology is deeply flawed), they make my predictions look pro-CGC. 27_laughing.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
63 posts

Now look at this:

 

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/comicseller/DSC02991.jpg

 

Look closely and tell me what the difference between MY copy and Rob's that has been CGC graded is. You got it-his has been OFFICIALLY graded.It's like the difference between someone who got top honors with his PHD in physics at SUNY Stonybrook and someone at Yale who just squeaked by because his daddy donated a new building.We know who's getting that job at IBM before they even begin the interview unless the Yalie shows up stoned and vomits on the interviewer's lap.It's about PEDIGREE and REP. I can't believe so many collectors have bought into the mystique of the CGC. I suppose it's partly the fault of the old comic shops in the 1980's and early 1990's,who played so fast and loose with grading to line thier pockets for so long. As usual,it's the have-nots who ended up getting the shaft in the end.

Andrew L.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
257 posts

your comic is missing a bottom right corner? confused-smiley-013.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,692 posts
Now here's a NM Tales To Astonish #59!!

RAD20760200689_231643.jpg

 

 

Thats Joes

 

Here is yours notice the difference and we havent even seen the back of yours.

 

duh.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
590 posts
Now look at this:

 

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/comicseller/DSC02991.jpg

 

Look closely and tell me what the difference between MY copy and Rob's that has been CGC graded is. You got it-his has been OFFICIALLY graded.It's like the difference between someone who got top honors with his PHD in physics at SUNY Stonybrook and someone at Yale who just squeaked by because his daddy donated a new building.We know who's getting that job at IBM before they even begin the interview unless the Yalie shows up stoned and vomits on the interviewer's lap.It's about PEDIGREE and REP. I can't believe so many collectors have bought into the mystique of the CGC. I suppose it's partly the fault of the old comic shops in the 1980's and early 1990's,who played so fast and loose with grading to line thier pockets for so long. As usual,it's the have-nots who ended up getting the shaft in the end.

Andrew L.

 

That's some good stuff you must be smoking - you have a bunch of VG condition comics. Accept it. Move on. Try to get a few hundred bucks for your books. Be happy with it. Forget about looking closely at your book, you can tell at a glance that your copy is far, far, far, from being NM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0