• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "Review Committee" discussion

170 posts in this topic

That's kool and da gang,Steve!

So how did it jump from 8.5 to 9.2?

Maybe pressed and/or dry cleaned, who knows? There were no clear signs.

The book was re-inspected for restoration and none was detected.

sorry to come in late. so the book left as an 8.5, came back in, was graded as a 9.2. it has now come back in to get the pedigree designation reinstated. you ran a new restoration check on it, nothing was detected. so was it sent back out as a 9.2? knowing it was once an 8.5?

is that correct?

again sorry to come in late. just want to understand. thanks

sorry to come in late. so the book left as an 8.5, came back in, was graded as a 9.2. it has now come back in to get the pedigree designation reinstated. you ran a new restoration check on it, nothing was detected. so was it sent back out as a 9.2? knowing it was once an 8.5?

is that correct?

Please don't take this the wrong way flowerred.gif, but will somebody please show him the many threads to catch up on the issues of pressing, dry cleaning, re-subs, and such? Thanks thumbsup2.gif

is that correct?

The short answer is that CGC grades the book in front of them. They do not research to see if a given book has entered their doors before.

is that correct?

The short answer is that CGC grades the book in front of them. They do not research to see if a given book has entered their doors before.

And even if they do know that the book used to be a lower grade, if it does not exhibit something that they consider to be restoration, they'll still grade it in the state it's in right now.

CGC does not consider dry cleaning (erasure) or non-disassembly pressing to be restoration.

is that correct?

Please don't take this the wrong way flowerred.gif, but will somebody please show him the many threads to catch up on the issues of pressing, dry cleaning, re-subs, and such? Thanks thumbsup2.gif

no, no problem. but the other guy answered the question. i don't really want to read through all the ranting and raving.

after all it all boils down to that one question anyways.

Shad, I take it that is a rhetorical question? I know, you know all about the NDP resub game. So your constant questioning baffles me. Another thing, does the term "JUMP" really apply to a book that went up less then 1 full grade?

Personal opinions aside about wether or not one believes dry cleaning and pressing to be a form of resto or not. If a book has a few minor NCBC's or indents pressed out, and a few smudges dry cleaned would you not agree that in itself would push a book upwards.... at least 1 grade? It is actually right in line with, or even below other NDP type of resub grade bumps. If anything I thought the grade bump was not all that much, but I keep hearing you harp about it jumping. WHY?

What is your main concern? CGC gave it kidglove treatment because of who owned the book, and bumped it up for an insider? Or are you insinuating that CGC dropped the ball and undergraded it the first time around, or perhaps overgraded it this time through?

Even if they did know who's book it was, and knew what the grade was before. They simply don't consider pressing, or dry cleaning to be resto, or a detriment to the final grade unless it is done improperly.

They graded the book in front of them, and graded this one a 9.2. I cant say as I like it, or even agree with it in principle. But I at least understand the process. Do you?

Ze-

And even if they do know that the book used to be a lower grade, if it does not exhibit something that they consider to be restoration, they'll still grade it in the state it's in right now.

CGC does not consider dry cleaning (erasure) or non-disassembly pressing to be restoration.

interesting. well what would be the option.

only thing i could see would be to refuse to grade the book all together.

actuall let me just say that it dosn't bother me, but for the super collectors

i can see where it could be an issue.

I think it's always a concern when a key book doubles in value. This is where educating the public comes into factor, and a majority of collectors are made aware that the difference between an 8.5 and 9.2, or a 9.4 and 9.8 CGC graded copy could be a minor press job or erased dirt away. Maybe if enough people understand the actual process that CGC uses to grade these books, then we won't get these huge price jumps for an insignificant amount of change. Perhaps, 10 years from now collectors will regard the book's QP to be more relevant than the actual assigned grade, so we can get away from this nonsense. Let's put it this way, if I can magically transform my 2000 Honda Civic into a brand new model, then why should there be a big difference in price between the two?!

I think that a lot of us are too pre-occupied with trying to change CGC and dealer mentality (including myself), instead of trying to change the consumer's perception on what they're really paying for and what they're getting in return.

I'd be curious to know the grading nores from both submissions to see what has changed.

In other words, see what, whatever the technique used, improved the comic upon resumission...

Jim

is that correct?

Sure.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/search.php?Cat=0

Why would they do that? They don't consider NDP pressing or dry cleaning to be restoration, so as far as they are concerned, it's just another comic book.

I'd be curious to know the grading nores from both submissions to see what has changed.

In other words, see what, whatever the technique used, improved the comic upon resumission...

Jim

If you were really that curious, you could find that out with a phone call.

The Sensation # 1 came in today and the Pedigree notation was put back on the label.

Did they have to pay to have it reinspected? You should at least charge them something for wasting your/CGC's time, putting a Pedigree notation on there that shoulda been there all along.

Everybody gets charged devil.gif27_laughing.gifstooges.gif