• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,434 posts in this topic

And speaking of ASM'S, I would highly encourage everyone to check out Comiclink's Auction upcoming, quote a few top census and all around nice books, I can attest to a quite a few that funny enough were mine, and the Alaskan air has been kind to them it seems ...wink wink..quite the collection he is selling off.

12 hours ago, amazingspiderfan said:

And speaking of ASM'S, I would highly encourage everyone to check out Comiclink's Auction upcoming, quote a few top census and all around nice books, I can attest to a quite a few that funny enough were mine, and the Alaskan air has been kind to them it seems ...wink wink..quite the collection he is selling off.

You talking about the January Auction or the February Focused Auction?  The FFA has a CVA AF15 9.0...WOW!!  Final hammer price predictions?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2018feb%23Item_1215759&id=1215759&itemType=0

AF15_9.0.jpg

1 hour ago, trmoore54 said:

You talking about the January Auction or the February Focused Auction?  The FFA has a CVA AF15 9.0...WOW!!  Final hammer price predictions?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2018feb%23Item_1215759&id=1215759&itemType=0

AF15_9.0.jpg

I'm thinking around $375k.  Not quite to the high of the last (recorded) 9.0 but close.  Nice looking copy!

9 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

AF15_9.0.jpg

The FFA, quite a few resubmissions in there . A few of the old label Spidey's are OO, that have never been pressed and are very strong candidates for a BUMO.Not sure if this is public knowledge or not, besides those that can just view them in hand. Bottomline a great opportunity , either for a flip. Or to have some of the tightest graded issues , and that is a fact. Not sure of hammer on the AF15, I paid ALOT for mine and at the time it was when CGC was a new idea, Smarted investment I made and one of the biggest profit makers. The big factor here is perception of upgradeability and this book already has been, CVA stickers can be a small factor of influence but IMHO they are just another case defacing item, whomever had the original idea to advertise on slabs was smart and OBNOXIOUS and should add a re-holdering fee into their final price, just my .02 as I HATE them.

On 12/28/2017 at 9:41 PM, amazingspiderfan said:

The FFA, quite a few resubmissions in there . A few of the old label Spidey's are OO, that have never been pressed and are very strong candidates for a BUMO.Not sure if this is public knowledge or not, besides those that can just view them in hand. Bottomline a great opportunity , either for a flip. Or to have some of the tightest graded issues , and that is a fact. Not sure of hammer on the AF15, I paid ALOT for mine and at the time it was when CGC was a new idea, Smarted investment I made and one of the biggest profit makers. The big factor here is perception of upgradeability and this book already has been, CVA stickers can be a small factor of influence but IMHO they are just another case defacing item, whomever had the original idea to advertise on slabs was smart and OBNOXIOUS and should add a re-holdering fee into their final price, just my .02 as I HATE them.

What is this CVA?  First time I remember ever seeing it.

10 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

What is this CVA?  First time I remember ever seeing it.

CVA is Comic Verification Authority , a third party grading company that essentially grades a book THROUGH the slab based on eye appeal, and structure. If a book is "pretty" for their standards they put a CVA tamper resistant hologram onto the slab (see the AF15 with it above) price for this service can be from $8-$3000. 

While I do agree that most books with a CVA sticker do have tremendous eye appeal through the holder, to me it is a service that I do NOT need. I think that many speculators especially those in Josh's market (as he seems to cater to the speculator crowd the most out of any auction house) think that this means the book is better than the the grade assigned and/or upgradeable thus commanding higher premiums in auctions. 

ComicLink uses this service ALOT, and ahem coincidentally  Tomis ERB of CVA the former Operations Manager of ComicLink.  Tomis also graded books for ComicLink and its clients, verified conditions assigned by comic book sellers before they were forwarded on to buyers, and submitted countless books for ComicLink (and clients) to CGC. 

On  the subject of CVA and stickers in general. Does anyone have a proven method for removing these darn stickers and the residue they leave? Grrrrrr.... :)

2 hours ago, amazingspiderfan said:

On  the subject of CVA and stickers in general. Does anyone have a proven method for removing these darn stickers and the residue they leave? Grrrrrr.... :)

I've never removed a CVA sticker, but I always remove any dealer stickers from my books.  These stickers are a huge pet peeve of mine.

In the case of Metropolis / ComicConnect, their stickers serve a legitimate inventory control purpose.  Also, they generally use a type of sticker that is easily removed without leaving anything behind.  So it's not so bad.

Unfortunately, the ComicLink sticker serves no purpose other than branding, and the type of sticker used is very difficult to remove cleanly -- whether or not this is by design, I'm not sure.  Nonetheless, I will not put a book into my collection with a dealer sticker on it, so I peel and scrape away as much as I can and remove the rest with gentle, careful application of a product called Goo Gone.  Just a tiny amount on a paper towel is enough to break down the adhesive without causing any damage to the case.  

I hope this helps!

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

2 hours ago, amazingspiderfan said:

While I do agree that most books with a CVA sticker do have tremendous eye appeal through the holder, to me it is a service that I do NOT need. I think that many speculators especially those in Josh's market (as he seems to cater to the speculator crowd the most out of any auction house) think that this means the book is better than the the grade assigned and/or upgradeable thus commanding higher premiums in auctions. 

ComicLink uses this service ALOT, and ahem coincidentally  Tomis ERB of CVA the former Operations Manager of ComicLink.  Tomis also graded books for ComicLink and its clients, verified conditions assigned by comic book sellers before they were forwarded on to buyers, and submitted countless books for ComicLink (and clients) to CGC. 

I agree that I don't NEED a CVA sticker but if it's in auction and it has the sticker I think it helps me decide whether to bid or not. It gives me confidence that the Back Cover is not hiding anything, especially with Clink auctions.

ASM 11 IN 9.6...ptetty cover...but when's the last time you saw a 9.6 with cream to off-white pages?  Still a very pretty book...in the upcoming Feb Heritage Auction from the so-called Simi Valley Collection... :cloud9:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-amazing-spider-man-11-marvel-1964-cgc-nm-96-cream-to-off-white-pages/p/7177-32007.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

ASM11_9.6.jpg

5 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

ASM 11 IN 9.6...ptetty cover...but when's the last time you saw a 9.6 with cream to off-white pages?  Still a very pretty book...in the upcoming Feb Heritage Auction from the so-called Simi Valley Collection... :cloud9:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-amazing-spider-man-11-marvel-1964-cgc-nm-96-cream-to-off-white-pages/p/7177-32007.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

ASM11_9.6.jpg

So curious, in your opinion how much will the PQ affect the end hammer price?

Edited by Philreal

1 hour ago, Philreal said:

So curious, in your opinion how much will the PQ affect the end hammer price?

I can't speculate about how an auction will turn out, but I've noticed a pattern in high grade books listed for sale by sellers (won't name names) who are well known for asking way more than GPA for their books on eBay and other sites that accept third-party consignments.  The pattern is basically that a CR/OW copy will be offered for right around GPA, and OW, OW/W, and White pages will go up from there.

For a book like this, GPA's sample size is very low (just one sale of a 9.6 in the last 6 years, for $16,730 in 2015).  So it's not clear how much of a guide GPA will be for bidders.  If GPA had more (and more recent) data points, I'd be curious to see whether my theory holds up and the book earns a hammer price right around GPA or perhaps a little bit under.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

1 minute ago, fishbone said:

I hope it’s OK to post this here, but it is called Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread and I just have to share what Mr. FedEx delivered to me today !!!!!

so excited, my first Romitas!!

597D1952-4798-4E0E-854E-B466FD113959.jpeg

FAAEC9BF-75E3-4EF7-B11E-0D3FB9CA0D12.jpeg

Wonderful!!!

18 minutes ago, fishbone said:

I hope it’s OK to post this here, but it is called Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread and I just have to share what Mr. FedEx delivered to me today !!!!!

so excited, my first Romitas!!

Looks like a comic book page as well as a newspaper strip.  Do you know what issue number on the page and what publication date on the strip?

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Looks like a comic book page as well as a newspaper strip.  Do you know what issue number on the page and what publication date on the strip?

Amazing #107 page 15

strip is 1978

Edited by fishbone